Serum or used Virus TI Snow?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Should decide before tomorrow evening :scared:

Pros of Serum

- Software (I'm an ITB guy)
- Still much cheaper
- Techically better sound quality (less aliasing, modern filters), not sure though if how it actually translates to perceived sonic character
- Actively developed, many tutorials and soundsets

Pros of Virus
- sexy looking box
- biohazard logo
- THAT sound

What I need:

A nice soundsource for psytrance, capable of warious weird heavily modulated agressive sounding sh!t but also able to sound warm and sweet.

What I already have: Spire, Dune2, Sylenth, Massive (and some others but these four are the most used and I like their sonic charater the best)
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

recursive one wrote:Pros of Virus
- sexy looking box
- biohazard logo
Are you planning to pick up a bird with it, or play it? :?

Serum definitelly has all the modulation options you need for psytrance and more.

I have trouble with creating "agressive sounds" in all synths in general, so can't help you there :shrug: Trying to learn something from your preset bank ;)
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

If you're an ITB guy, chances are hardware is going to annoy you. I wouldn't want to go back, at least not for sequencing.
And personally, with the TI stuff, if it behaves like a softsynth, you might just as well use a softsynth. Between Dune2 and Spire, I'd say you're covered.

On the other hand. Just buy it, get it out of your system. You don't like it? Sell it later.
And if you buy second hand now, there's a good chance it won't cost you anything.

Oh and yeah, Serum has my highest recommendation. It should be great for what you're after.

But ...
The Total Integration system allows you to plug your Virus TI Snow into your computer via the USB port located on the back. Once it's hooked up to your computer you can access the Virus TI from your DAW where it will appear as a VST/AU plug-in
...and also can function as an external sound card

BDeep wrote:If you're an ITB guy, chances are hardware is going to annoy you. I wouldn't want to go back, at least not for sequencing.
And personally, with the TI stuff, if it behaves like a softsynth, you might just as well use a softsynth. Between Dune2 and Spire, I'd say you're covered.

On the other hand. Just buy it, get it out of your system. You don't like it? Sell it later.
And if you buy second hand now, there's a good chance it won't cost you anything.

Oh and yeah, Serum has my highest recommendation. It should be great for what you're after.
It was a solid explanation and I almost felt like I've decided against Virus. But why the hell did I listened to this? :dog:

https://soundcloud.com/cfa-sound/demo-t ... 1-virus-ti

DJ Warmonger wrote:Trying to learn something from your preset bank ;)
Good to know that my sounds are useful for someone :wink:

I don't like Serum that much. It sounds like plastic, just very sterile and cold and synthetic.

Go get the Virus already. You know you want it. :evil: :hihi:

If you want a Virus, get a Virus.

Serum is great, but it's not really going to add anything you don't already have.

Despite claims to the contrary, nothing sounds like a Virus.

Serum

Virus is not that special anymore. Its more a luxary thing now. I bought mine almost 7 years ago back then it was unchangable if you wanted quality but now its slowly collecting dust.
Last edited by Elektronisch on Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

So you are comparing serum to a virus... riiiiiight.

chk071 wrote:Go get the Virus already. You know you want it. :evil: :hihi:
You said it, mate :D

if i would have to chose between serum and the snow... i would buy hive together with the new hive science soundset from howard scarr and kevin schroeder (which is absolutely brilliant) :clown:

Gosh wrote:if i would have to chose between serum and the snow... i would buy hive together with the new hive science soundset from howard scarr and kevin schroeder (which is absolutely brilliant) :clown:
Frankly, I don't like the hive's sound at all (that's strange because I love their other synths) and also it has maybe 1/10 of Virus features.

Last night I was messing around Bazille and Lush-101 demos, maybe I'll buy these two if this guy with his underpriced Snow dissapears or changes his mind. As for Serum - well the more I demo it the more I understand that I'll unlikely ever actually love it. Techncially it's very advanced but the sound is completely not my thing.

Return to “Instruments”