setup budget problems

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Well, first post. So hello..

The last two days ive been looking around for my future recording setup. My ideal is: some kind of card for two mic inputs, and two 1/4 inputs. thats really all I need.

I see devices carrying much more or much less than what I want, does anyone have any advice?

Sorry if this or similar questions are asked often

vilifiend wrote:Well, first post. So hello..

The last two days ive been looking around for my future recording setup. My ideal is: some kind of card for two mic inputs, and two 1/4 inputs. thats really all I need.

I see devices carrying much more or much less than what I want, does anyone have any advice?

Sorry if this or similar questions are asked often
Give this a go!

http://www.sub.co.uk/index.php?sec=reco ... c4b52c330b

You don't say if you need the mic and line inputs at the same time. Are you going to be recording multiple players, or working one instrument at a time. Also, do you have a good sequencer program?

The M-Audio and Terratec products are good if you just want input and output--their mic preamps are not the greatest, however. If you really need to record no more than two tracks at the same time, and could use a good sequencer, I recommend you look at Mackie's Spike. It's got headphone output, a control knob for monitor level (not often included with soundcards, but VERY handy IMHO), two great quality Mackie mic preamps, AND it comes with Tracktion--which may be all the sequencer you ever need! If I were starting out today it's definitely what I would buy. In fact, it's probably the best starter package I've ever seen!

The Lexicon product has four separate inputs, and probably has decent mic preamps, but has a proprietary sequencer, and the included Lexicon reverb plugin ONLY WORKS WITH THAT SEQUENCER! (Which was a pretty stupid marketing move, since a number of folks would have looked hard at that interface otherwise.)

Thank you for the replies. Primarily I do not need to use them at the same time, though I think I will eventually. As for programs.. I use Acid, Sound Forge, and Fruityloops.

Would it be safe to try buying say 2 cheap sound cards with line-in/mic inputs and just get adapters for the mics to fit with those?

vilifiend wrote:Thank you for the replies. Primarily I do not need to use them at the same time, though I think I will eventually. As for programs.. I use Acid, Sound Forge, and Fruityloops.

Would it be safe to try buying say 2 cheap sound cards with line-in/mic inputs and just get adapters for the mics to fit with those?
Tring to use two soundcards at the same time could cause problems. Plugging mikes via adapters into cheap soundcards will probably sound crummy. I bought a soundcard with multiple inputs (the Emu APS) years ago, and found I didn't use the extra inputs , and in fact still don't. I bet you would be much better served with two good inputs into your computer, than four crummy ones, especially if you don't use the second pair.

What exactly is the budget range you have in mind? That information would help determine potential solutions.

If you are really strapped for cash, you could get 2 sblive! soundcards (30 Can each) and use the kx audio drivers www.kxproject.com. These drivers give you 5 ms asio latency, YOu might want to double check if you can use two cards with these drivers,.. I think I remember some people using two. Don't use the mic preamps on these , total crap. Buy yourself an inexpensive mic pre, like the audio buddy from maudio($70 US ?), I think it has two mic inputs .. anyways here is a thread, discussing cheap preamps

http://www.kvr-vst.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=45613

nice thing about getting seperate mic pre's is you can upgrade if you wish, good luck with your setup

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”