PG-8X (2.0) released

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
pg-8x

Hi all, recently discovered this great plugin (64-bit version) and mostly everything works great on my windows 10 running Ableton Live 11.
The preset bank handling are a little tricky and I only managed to build my favorites in all 4 banks by saving as SYSEXbanks and do the rotate. But I'm there now.
Only thing left is to get my 3 MIDI CC mapping to my controller to be saved, so I don't have to do this every time I open PG-8X.
I have tried both saving to a preset and to a bank (Make Default) - but I can't get it to get saved. If I close the Instrument rack with PG-8X and open again, the plugin MIDI CC mapping is gone.
Anybody out there who got this to work and if so how?
Thanks all
Cheers Jens

I just downloaded the Mac .app version. So far, the app recognizes MIDI patch changes from my controller, and my DAW generates sound with other soft synths (so audio/midi setup is all working fine), but I'm getting no sound from PG-8x. I would rather not have to use the VST version, because my only VST-compatible host requires me to boot off of Snow Leopard (which I can do from an external SSD, but would rather not). Running High Sierra.

Thanks!

PG-8X is dead and buried.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

^huh?
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

As a product, it is still working for Windows systems 32 and 64 bit version.

Development-wise, it is a matter of getting inspited. Negative & discouraging posts don't help much :)

jamcat wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 8:44 pm PG-8X is dead and buried.
Alive and kicking and in almost daily use on my Windows 10/Cubase 11 setup. Many thanks to Martin.
Last edited by BetterRed on Sun Nov 06, 2022 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Without VST3 and native Apple Silicon, it is dead on Mac. It may still work for now on Microsoft email machines, but that's irrelevant to the music industry.

Martin has had A DECADE to "get inspired" to update PG-8X and release VST3, or at least fix the discontinued AU version. He hasn't. He moved on to commercial VCV rack development a long time ago.

jamcat wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 9:08 pm Without VST3 and native Apple Silicon, it is dead on Mac. It may still work for now on Microsoft email machines, but that's irrelevant to the music industry.
Yawn. Bet you argue with people about which mobile phone is best too.

Dead on Mac (for now) is a great reason not to go to Mac, which I also have, thank you.

Im still waiting for a decent JX-10 emulation
This is Samuel S. I make music for fun even if it isn't music.

outta here
Last edited by JockMcRonan on Sun Dec 11, 2022 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Samuel_S wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 10:20 pm Im still waiting for a decent JX-10 emulation
My dream would be for TAL to take that on.

[nx] wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 10:37 pm
Samuel_S wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 10:20 pm Im still waiting for a decent JX-10 emulation
My dream would be for TAL to take that on.
Talked him into that previously, but he won't be able to emulate it unless he has an actual h/w unit.
Those stuff are heavy, bulky, expensive & requires hours & $$ to get them maintained enough to be barely playable. Will it be a good investment considering the current global situations. Unlikely :cry: :x

MKS-70 should be way easier to emulate then, since it doesn't take up that much space. :)

jamcat wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 9:08 pm Without VST3 and native Apple Silicon, it is dead on Mac. It may still work for now on Microsoft email machines, but that's irrelevant to the music industry.

Martin has had A DECADE to "get inspired" to update PG-8X and release VST3, or at least fix the discontinued AU version. He hasn't. He moved on to commercial VCV rack development a long time ago.
Mac is for kids

So I use both Windows and Mac, and collaborate cross-platform, so everything I use must support both. I have had to remove PG-8X because of this. If you're just a freeware user on Windows, then the abandonment of PG-8X doesn't affect you, at least not yet. But whether or not it can still work for you, you need to accept the bottom line that development of this plugin ceased almost a decade ago, so it's unrealistic to hold on to some misguided belief that it will ever get another update. The Great Pumpkin ain't coming.

Return to “Instruments”