Tender Storm, a pop tune with some rock sounds

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi. This is my latest track. I am pretty happy with it but I could use some tips on how to improve it and also some comments about which things work and so on.
https://soundcloud.com/madrigal7/tender-storm
here:
https://soundcloud.com/madrigal7/tender-storm-9

Last version here

https://soundcloud.com/madrigal7/tender_storm
Last edited by Hezekiel on Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.

This is a really cool tune, for some reason I picture Commander Yammark's stage from Mega Man X5 when I hear it. Pretty awesome track if you've never heard it. I don't really see this as a Pop song, which is a good thing in my opinion. I don't really have much constructive criticism to give since I like to make very different music, so this is more of a thumbs up. Good work sir/madam

Thank you for your comment. I will listen that track you mentioned as I usually like game music.

I think the tune is very good. The bass line would be more interesting if it sometimes varied from the root of the chord.

I don't like the flute sound -- sort of a muzak preset. The snare lacks presence in the high frequencies.

Frantz wrote:I think the tune is very good. The bass line would be more interesting if it sometimes varied from the root of the chord.

I don't like the flute sound -- sort of a muzak preset. The snare lacks presence in the high frequencies.
Tend to agree with this. You ought to try a lead with a bit more bite - maybe even a "lead guitar" style lead, in the style of Hank Marvin/Wonderful Land? Perhaps some grace notes in the melody, or a bit of judicious pitch-bending?
And a harmony line works wonders! (Duplicate the part, transpose by 4 semitones, adjust the odd wrong note, instant magic! :D )
When my missus listens to my stuff, she keeps telling me to add some "juicy bits". I think all of us, including myself, could benefit from that advice...
:party: :tu:

[quote="Frantz"]I think the tune is very good. The bass line would be more interesting if it sometimes varied from the root of the chord.

I don't like the flute sound -- sort of a muzak preset. The snare lacks presence in the high frequencies.[/quote]
Thank you Frantz. When I get back home where I have the necessary soft synths working I will try to improve things.

[quote="Ayorinde"][quote="Frantz"]I think the tune is very good. The bass line would be more interesting if it sometimes varied from the root of the chord.

I don't like the flute sound -- sort of a muzak preset. The snare lacks presence in the high frequencies.[/quote]
Tend to agree with this. You ought to try a lead with a bit more bite - maybe even a "lead guitar" style lead, in the style of Hank Marvin/Wonderful Land? Perhaps some grace notes in the melody, or a bit of judicious pitch-bending?
And a harmony line works wonders! (Duplicate the part, transpose by 4 semitones, adjust the odd wrong note, instant magic! :D )
When my missus listens to my stuff, she keeps telling me to add some "juicy bits". I think all of us, including myself, could benefit from that advice...
:party: :tu:[/quote]
Thank you Ayorinde. I will try your tips too when I get back home in a couple of days.

Nice melodies, and I liked the chnages of pacing throughout this piece. I thought the flute was most effective after the breakdown at 2:38 when it appears with only the bass accompaniment. I also think that the snare could use some more HF content.

Good work :)

[quote="seismic1"]Nice melodies, and I liked the chnages of pacing throughout this piece. I thought the flute was most effective after the breakdown at 2:38 when it appears with only the bass accompaniment. I also think that the snare could use some more HF content.

Good work :)[/quote]
Thank you seismic1. I will try to follow your advice maybe already today when I get back home.

Hi again guys. I tried to follow the tips from Frantz and Seismic1 and I also made some minor melody line changes and now I would like to hear if the track is improved a bit. Thanks again for the tips guys.

https://soundcloud.com/madrigal7/tender-storm-9

I liked the synth harmonies that you added. The give the track extra dynamics.

Good work :)

INSBDom wrote:This is a really cool tune, for some reason I picture Commander Yammark's stage from Mega Man X5 when I hear it. Pretty awesome track if you've never heard it.
:tu:

I liked tender storm 9, good work.

Replacing the flute with the synth was an improvement but it seems to drag a little there and where it comes back in. Maybe start right off with a busier percussion and a separate musical idea and then break into the main theme of the song. You start with a short intro and then structurally it's pretty much variations on a chorus.

Once it gets going it sounds great!

[quote="Dillinger"][quote="INSBDom"]This is a really cool tune, for some reason I picture Commander Yammark's stage from Mega Man X5 when I hear it. Pretty awesome track if you've never heard it.[/quote]

:tu:

I liked tender storm 9, good work.[/quote]
Thanks!

[quote="fastlanephil"]Replacing the flute with the synth was an improvement but it seems to drag a little there and where it comes back in. Maybe start right off with a busier percussion and a separate musical idea and then break into the main theme of the song. You start with a short intro and then structurally it's pretty much variations on a chorus.

Once it gets going it sounds great![/quote]
Thanks for your comment and tip. I will try to see If I can improve this tune.

Return to “Music Cafe”