MODO BASS: Get ready for a new level of realism (1.5 update available now)

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
dark water
KVRAF
2599 posts since 2 Jun, 2016

Post Sun Apr 03, 2022 12:59 am

jamcat wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 5:25 pm
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 5:00 pm
jamcat wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 4:23 pm So it makes sense that they would not offer a free upgrade to people who just bought MODO BASS at blowout prices.
Not to me. They just had a 29 plugins for the price of 1 group buy, this person wasn't in on that for whatever reason [maybe wasn't aware, maybe new to audio, maybe was broke just then], buys just the 1 plugin for full price, then a few days later IK announces a new version. He reaches out and asks if they can offer the very common grace period for that situation and they say no. They can't afford to go a tiny bit above and beyond and give the person an upgrade voucher or something? They just gave the thing away recently and this person paid full price! I'm sorry, it's just bad customer service. They don't owe him anything, but they could do the stand up thing, and gain a customer for life. Instead, now that customer feels understandably burned. A little less likely to give IKMM money in the future.

But yeah, if it makes sense to you, that's your opinion. The above is mine.
No, IK also had MODO Month that started in January, and was extended through March (up until it was cut short and disappeared down the memory hole when MODO DRUM 1.5 was announced.)

Image
Hello chaps,
They are fair points that both of you make with regard to my situation.

Ultimately, I am happy with my Modo Bass (1) purchase because it does what I wanted it to do, and I got it at a good discounted price at Thomann.
I'm certainly not wailing and gnashing my teeth at getting Modo Bass.

However, as an observation, it is unusual for companies not to offer grace periods to customers who have purchased a product (and tbf, IK Multimedia must have known, if maybe not been in cahoots, with Thomann's pricing?), which then gets made inferior by a newer released version within less than 2 weeks.

Also, the real kick in the teeth for my niche position is that anyone who buys Modo Bass 2 (on current pre-sale) gets Modo Bass 1 thrown in for free.
Sod's law and bad timings for me, but if I had just known (!) to wait for less than 2 more weeks, I would have been able to pick up Modo Bass 2 and Modo Bass 1 for about $50 more (after jam points) than I paid for Modo Bass 1.


However, tbf, I'm not really desperate for any of the new basses in Modo Bass 2.
It is only the +1500 grooves that interest me - but I'm not going to spend $149 (before jam points) on just those.
Perhaps there is a way to get those grooves somehow else for cheaper?


As said, this is how IK Multimedia roll (with no grace periods), which is fair and up to them.
Likewise, I am aware of that business model now - and also the fact that I have spent about £700 on their products in the past decade but that this doesn't count for anything.

So I will instead be giving more support from now on to kinder companies (and there are a lot of very kind companies out there) who look after their loyal, long-standing customers better than IK Multimedia.
:phones:

User avatar
jamcat
KVRAF
2064 posts since 2 Sep, 2019

Post Sun Apr 03, 2022 2:38 am

dark water wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 12:59 am However, as an observation, it is unusual for companies not to offer grace periods to customers who have purchased a product (and tbf, IK Multimedia must have known, if maybe not been in cahoots, with Thomann's pricing?), which then gets made inferior by a newer released version within less than 2 weeks.

Also, the real kick in the teeth for my niche position is that anyone who buys Modo Bass 2 (on current pre-sale) gets Modo Bass 1 thrown in for free.
Sod's law and bad timings for me, but if I had just known (!) to wait for less than 2 more weeks, I would have been able to pick up Modo Bass 2 and Modo Bass 1 for about $50 more (after jam points) than I paid for Modo Bass 1.
Well how much exactly did you spend on MODO BASS 1.5? It sounds like you got the MODO Month discount. But since you bought through Thomann, you didn’t get to use JamPoints. So you spent $79, right? With JamPoints it would have been only $56.

If you had held out for MODO BASS 2, it would have been $200 ($140 after JamPoints). The upgrade which you now qualify for is $150 ($105 after JamPoints). So the price difference wouldn’t have been that much at all. Most of your added expense comes from buying through Thomann instead of using your JamPoints the first time around.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

dark water
KVRAF
2599 posts since 2 Jun, 2016

Post Sun Apr 03, 2022 4:54 am

Again JamCat, fair points with regards to my specific niche situation (and indeed, were it not for the new +1,500 grooves, I wouldn't care for the Modo Bass 2 upgrade anyway as Modo Bass 1 does everything I want it to do).

I am happy with my purchase made at Thomann, which was £79 (approx $104 at the current conversion price today) - which is why I made it.
And I presume that the very reason why Modo Bass (1) was/is being flogged at its discount price is because IK Multimedia wanted to shift a few more sales of it just before they released news of their imminent Modo Bass 2?

But you seem to miss the point I am making: it surprises me that IK Multimedia do not go in for grace periods, when people have bought one of their products (from one of their approved resellers) and then this has been suddenly replaced by a newer version.
This is different to many companies out there.

That is IK Multimedia's business choice of course and it is fair (as I said on the previous page), because they need to make money in these desperate times.

But it is a business decision that some people might not yet be aware of, and they might wish to be aware of IK Multimedia's take on this.

Ultimately, there might be a time in the future when you purchase a product from IK Multimedia only to find out that they release a new version less than 2 weeks later.
And then you will receive no 'grace period' discount.
Whereas many other companies do offer 'grace period' discounts for people who have just bought a suddenly-replaced product (and have indeed spent more than £700 previously on other products of theirs).
My own preference will be to support those companies in the future.
YMMV.

jbraner
KVRian
1392 posts since 8 Jan, 2003 from Edinburgh

Post Sun Apr 03, 2022 5:02 am

Two things:
- Can you get the grooves by downloading the free CS version of MODO Bass 2?
- I think the point is this:
A "grace period" is usually for when you pay full price for something and then the next version comes out.
When you pay knockdown price, it muddies the waters a little. I guess I'd still be annoyed, but the point is - you're not really paying any more than someone like me who's been using MODO 2 for 4 years, and paying the upgrade price.

C'est la vie - I guess ;)
John Braner
http://johnbraner.bandcamp.com
http://www.soundclick.com/johnbraner
and all the major streaming/download sites.

dark water
KVRAF
2599 posts since 2 Jun, 2016

Post Sun Apr 03, 2022 5:12 am

jbraner wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 5:02 am Two things:
- Can you get the grooves by downloading the free CS version of MODO Bass 2?
- I think the point is this:
A "grace period" is usually for when you pay full price for something and then the next version comes out.
When you pay knockdown price, it muddies the waters a little. I guess I'd still be annoyed, but the point is - you're not really paying any more than someone like me who's been using MODO 2 for 4 years, and paying the upgrade price.

C'est la vie - I guess ;)
Hopefully that's an option with the grooves. I'll check it out now, thank you :)

EDIT: I've just looked at the IK Multimedia 'compare versions' info for Modo Bass 2, and the free version comes with a 'limited number of patterns' (it doesn't say how many these are) - which is to be expected, as it is free.

As for the 'grace period': certainly I'd be a bit miffed if I'd paid full price rather than a discount.

And I should make it clear - in case it already is not, and in case some people want to argue otherwise - that I'm not fuming by any means about my situation because:
a) I got a good deal on Modo Bass 1 and it does what I want it to do,
b) not much of Modo Bass 2 interests me aside from the grooves.

It is bad timing that I didn't wait 10 days and then learn about the pre-sales for Modo Bass 2, which would enable me to get Modo Bass 2 (and Modo Bass 1 for free).



But the point is that IK Multimedia seem unwilling to offer 'grace period' discounts to anyone.

Including any of you in the future (?) regardless of how much money you have previously spent with them.
(In my case, it is £700).

Which is unlike many companies.

jbraner
KVRian
1392 posts since 8 Jan, 2003 from Edinburgh

Post Sun Apr 03, 2022 5:20 am

And I should make it clear - in case it already is not, and in case some people want to argue otherwise - that I'm not fuming by any means about my situation because:
Oh, I know - we're just venting ;)

I'm no fan of IK - I wish someone else had made MODO Bass ;)

I like MODO Bass a lot, and I like the Sunset Studio and Fame reverbs - otherwise I try to avoid IK.
John Braner
http://johnbraner.bandcamp.com
http://www.soundclick.com/johnbraner
and all the major streaming/download sites.

dark water
KVRAF
2599 posts since 2 Jun, 2016

Post Sun Apr 03, 2022 5:32 am

^^ true - and, as you say, they have several excellent products such as those reverbs.

It sounds like you and I (and it appears like quite a few other people from forum threads...), are not 'massive fans' of other aspects of their company however!

Cheers :)

User avatar
jamcat
KVRAF
2064 posts since 2 Sep, 2019

Post Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:42 am

dark water wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 5:12 am But the point is that IK Multimedia seem unwilling to offer 'grace period' discounts to anyone.
There was a 2 week grace period where purchasers of ARC 2 got ARC 3 for free. But it had not just been blown out for months on end at 73% off, and doesn’t have a free ARC 3 CS version that unlocks all of the ARC 2 features for free.

So, no, IK is not going to give all the stragglers who bought MODO BASS on blowout a free upgrade at release. That would be the same as selling the new premium MODO BASS 2 for $56, which would be an unreasonable expectation. But you do get everything you bought in MODO BASS 1.5 unlocked for free in the free MODO BASS 2 CS version.

IK is not being unreasonable here.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

dark water
KVRAF
2599 posts since 2 Jun, 2016

Post Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:30 pm

jamcat wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:42 am
dark water wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 5:12 am But the point is that IK Multimedia seem unwilling to offer 'grace period' discounts to anyone.
There was a 2 week grace period where purchasers of ARC 2 got ARC 3 for free. But it had not just been blown out for months on end at 73% off, and doesn’t have a free ARC 3 CS version that unlocks all of the ARC 2 features for free.

So, no, IK is not going to give all the stragglers who bought MODO BASS on blowout a free upgrade at release. That would be the same as selling the new premium MODO BASS 2 for $56, which would be an unreasonable expectation. But you do get everything you bought in MODO BASS 1.5 unlocked for free in the free MODO BASS 2 CS version.

IK is not being unreasonable here.
I didn't state that they were being unreasonable.
All my posts above show that I stated it is fair that IK Multimedia can do what they like with their business model.

Also, there is no need for your petty insult of 'stragglers':
I am just a customer who bought Modo Bass at a time (3 weeks ago) when it was (and still is) possible to do so for approx £79 (which is $104, approx 65% off) with one of IK Multimedia's approved partner re-sellers called Thomann.

Ultimately, it is IK Multimedia's and Thomann's agreement to sell it at that price - a price of their choosing.
I have no choice in the pricing.
I was just merely interested in the product (and I'm not going to just throw £79 away on something that I don't want!).

You are creating a strawman that I think IK Multimedia are unfair and unreasonable, when I have never used those words.

I stated that other companies are more generous towards long-standing customers (who have spent several hundreds of pounds previously on their products), and who buy the product that the company is selling (at a price that the company is happy to sell for) one day and then find it gets replaced within a few days by a better version.

Again, I don't think IK Multimedia are being unreasonable.
They are perfectly within reason to do what on earth they wish for their business model.

But as customers, we get to choose which companies we think will be more appreciative to long-standing customers who have spent £700 previously on products and who now find themselves having purchased one product at the company's stated retail price only to find that it is then replaced within a matter of days.

It is an observation that it is unusual that IK Multimedia do not wish to go in for grace periods (bar that one ARC example you gave) - and I was surprised at this stance compared to the grace periods offered by many other companies.

As such, I will be much more encouraged to continue shopping with those other companies who recognize long-standing (10 years +) and loyal (£700+ spent) customers from now on.
And IK Mulitmedia are welcome to do whatever they like with their business model - there is nothing 'unreasonable' about that.

manfex
KVRer
22 posts since 14 Feb, 2020

Post Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:22 pm

jamcat wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 2:38 am Well how much exactly did you spend on MODO BASS 1.5? It sounds like you got the MODO Month discount. But since you bought through Thomann, you didn’t get to use JamPoints. So you spent $79, right? With JamPoints it would have been only $56.

If you had held out for MODO BASS 2, it would have been $200 ($140 after JamPoints). The upgrade which you now qualify for is $150 ($105 after JamPoints). So the price difference wouldn’t have been that much at all. Most of your added expense comes from buying through Thomann instead of using your JamPoints the first time around.
Jampoints are useless in most of europe, thomann doesn't add VAT afterwards like IK, also something that costs $150 in dollars, costs 150 euros ($165 dollars) to europeans

User avatar
jamcat
KVRAF
2064 posts since 2 Sep, 2019

Post Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:35 pm

dark water wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:30 pm I didn't state that they were being unreasonable.
All my posts above show that I stated it is fair that IK Multimedia can do what they like with their business model.

Also, there is no need for your petty insult of 'stragglers':
I didn't intend to suggest that you specifically were saying IK was unreasonable. That was more of a general comment for anyone who might have gotten that false impression based on some incorrect statements and in this thread about how much MODO BASS was actually being sold for over the past several months. Again, I'm not saying you made those statements. I just wanted to suss out how much you paid, as I (correctly) assumed you had gotten the MODO Month blowout discount like everyone else this year.

Also, "straggler" isn't an insult, it just means someone who is a late arrival, which is an accurate description for the people who only recently picked it up because of the blowout sale price.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

dark water
KVRAF
2599 posts since 2 Jun, 2016

Post Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:15 am

jamcat wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:35 pm
dark water wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:30 pm I didn't state that they were being unreasonable.
All my posts above show that I stated it is fair that IK Multimedia can do what they like with their business model.

Also, there is no need for your petty insult of 'stragglers':
I didn't intend to suggest that you specifically were saying IK was unreasonable. That was more of a general comment for anyone who might have gotten that false impression based on some incorrect statements and in this thread about how much MODO BASS was actually being sold for over the past several months. Again, I'm not saying you made those statements. I just wanted to suss out how much you paid, as I (correctly) assumed you had gotten the MODO Month blowout discount like everyone else this year.

Also, "straggler" isn't an insult, it just means someone who is a late arrival, which is an accurate description for the people who only recently picked it up because of the blowout sale price.

No worries - your points (although I personally might counter-argue with a couple of them) are fair and well argued Jamcat :)

benjamind
KVRian
1204 posts since 4 Aug, 2004 from Ain't tellin' ya...

Post Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:46 pm

I've paid for the updated bass and drums. Now just waiting very patiently for them to release the guitar sets.

I've only waiter over 5 years for them LOL
Little Black Dog - 2008-Present

Download SOphist
KVRAF
3944 posts since 26 Jan, 2006 from :noitacoL

Post Tue Apr 19, 2022 6:13 am

it's been quiet on the modo front. any news on a possible release?
member of the guild of professional dilettantes.

martinjuenke
KVRAF
5613 posts since 28 Dec, 2015 from Hanover, Germany

Post Tue Apr 19, 2022 6:24 am

Download SOphist wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 6:13 am it's been quiet on the modo front. any news on a possible release?
IK Multimedia will release it right after joining Soundwide… Stay tuned!

Return to “Instruments”