So, anyone still using Novation V-Station?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
V-Station

I fired it up today, and, must say that i still like it, kinda. It has its own sound, and definitely a unique character. I must damit that i didn't like it at all when i fired it up some time ago, but i figure that was because i didn't find the knob to turn off phase reset for the oscillators. :dog: :lol: Anyway, i think it has quite a spacey character, which i like, and it also has some beef in the filter and envelopes, at least considering its age.

It was given away on some mag's DVD's, and also was available for free, which was described here some times. Did you grab it? And, do you still use it? I think i will actually put it to use here and there, as it's quite cool for some sounds really.

FWIW, I have a k-station (what the v-station is based on). I use that damn thing nearly every day. One of my favorite synths.

It doesn't sound amazing, but it's incredibly easy to get from point A to point B with it. I frequently will re-do patches I make with it in/on another synth when it's 'ready for production'. No matter what though, I can just get what I want out of it really quick.

Got both the Bass Station and V-Station plugins here (got V-Station as freeware last year).

Since i also got a Novation UltraNova (last year) and Bass Station II (this year) i prefer using those Novation hardware synths. UltraNova is quite different to V-Station (actualy UltarNova has a lot more features) so V-Station is far from being an UltraNova emulation (while it is an emulation of teh K-Station).
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Robert Randolph wrote:FWIW, I have a k-station (what the v-station is based on). I use that damn thing nearly every day. One of my favorite synths.

It doesn't sound amazing, but it's incredibly easy to get from point A to point B with it. I frequently will re-do patches I make with it in/on another synth when it's 'ready for production'. No matter what though, I can just get what I want out of it really quick.
Yeah, that's basically my impression too. Considering the latest generation of soft synth, the V-Station also doesn't sound "amazing", but it has something to it, a nice character, as i wrote, pretty spacey, and definitely suited for the music i'm after. It also has somewhat of a "vintage" vibe to it, reminds me a bit of Terratec Komplexer, but, still different. I remember how much fun i had with the filters of V-Station back 5 years ago or so. :) There's better filters nowadays, but they're still cool somehow.

@ Ingo: Yes, Ultranova is pretty nice too, i watched a lot of Youtube videos about that synth.

chk071 wrote:I fired it up today, and, must say that i still like it, kinda. It has its own sound, and definitely a unique character. I must damit that i didn't like it at all when i fired it up some time ago, but i figure that was because i didn't find the knob to turn off phase reset for the oscillators. :dog: :lol: Anyway, i think it has quite a spacey character, which i like, and it also has some beef in the filter and envelopes, at least considering its age.

It was given away on some mag's DVD's, and also was available for free, which was described here some times. Did you grab it? And, do you still use it? I think i will actually put it to use here and there, as it's quite cool for some sounds really.
I won it from Novation, and even though I played around with it for a bit, I don't think I used it in much. Still, I've seen some good comments on it (and respect for it), so I think I'll re-visit it to see if I can incorporate it into any current projects.

I didn't know there were videos on it; maybe I'll check some out, to see what I've been missing!

Thanks for reminding us about it.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

:tu:

I literally uninstalled it a few minutes ago. :)

Nothing against it, just have other synths now that fit my needs better. Still a good workhorse to have if more conventional synth sounds are your thing.

Fair enough. I'm sure i have about 10-20 plugins which probably can do more, and sound more detailled. Yet, V-Station has that typical Novation sound, and it's nice for me to have that in the backhand. :) Not sure if i will really use it much, but for some sounds, it may be nice to have it.

I got it with my Novation controller, installed it, played with it 15 mn and deinstalled it.
For me, soundwise, V-station was okay 15 years ago (for a soft synth). Feature wise it's not bad. BUT the GUI was designed for 1024x768 screens and now it is now super small on a 1080p screen. And worse, I could never figure out how to choose presets without using the left and right button, which is plain horrible. Anyone fancy clicking 200 times to reach a preset ? That alone was a no go.

Something like synth1 probably sounds far better and is still easier to use.

BassStation is much worse. Soundwise qnd featurewise, it pales in comparison to most free synths and even giving it away reflects badly on Novation, let alone still selling it. This thing is amateurish (in the bad sense) at best.
Last edited by lolilol1975 on Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

BassStation is pretty horrible, agreed. :D

K-Station Rack is a nice hardware synth for the price. The V-Station works as a controller for it too. I still have a Bass Station rack, the 1st kind but it sees lil use.
Click for music links... Eurotrash!
MSI z390, i7 9700k OC, Noctua Cooling, NVMe 970 Pro, 64GB 3200C16, BeQuiet PSU, W10, Cubase 13, Avenger, Spire, Nexus, iZotope, Virus TI (INTERGRATED).

chk071 wrote:BassStation is pretty horrible, agreed. :D
It amazes me that they have the nerve to still sell it.
Both of them actually. :lol:
The Classic Sound of Analogue

A recreation of the classic Bass Station analogue synthesiser, carefully modelled to maintain the distinct character of the iconic original.
LOL if that's how the Bass Station sounded, I might be better off buying a synth at ToysRus.
Last edited by lolilol1975 on Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

I use it as a patch programmer for my k-station. Basically the same function as and character, but although the k-station has a far bigger and sweetier presence, the v-station is so fast to program it makes creating a few patches a breeze.
It's not what you use, it's how you use it...

V-Station is that kind of fun to have for rainy Days when you got tired to Always working with the other synths ;)
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

I still use it and love it . It shines for trance music when it comes to plucks and certain other sounds . I also have the novation x-station 25 which is pretty much the hardware version of it . They're not used in every track but I will go to it for that certain sound when needed.

Return to “Instruments”