Linnstrument Sync

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi All.

Stupid question probably but I'm trying to sync the Linnstrument step sequencer to Cubase, I'm sending midi clock to the Linnstrument and the Global Settings button flashes in time with the click from Cubase and the sequencer starts to play but the problem is that the notes in the sequencer are WAY OFF the timing. Sometimes as much as an 8th note out, it's variable. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks All.

Does this happen when you start Cubase from the beginning of the song? If not, LinnStrument doesn't current compute Song Position Pointer so it won't be be.

Hi there Roger.

It happens when I start from the beginning in Cubase and Ableton.

Nick.

Hi stratblue,
I retested sync here and discovered that LinnStrument does have two sync problems that we'll be fixing:

1) It doesn't respond to MIDI Song Position Pointer messages. This means that it will play in sync if you start it from the beginning of a song but not if you play it from any other location. The workaround for now is to only play your DAW from the start of bar 1.

2) It plays one MIDI clock late when syncing to Ableton. We had been testing primarily with Logic, which doesn't have this problem. For now the workaround is to shift Ableton's sync about 21 milliseconds early in the Preferences > Link MIDI window, adjusting the MIDI Clock Sync Delay parameter.

Sorry about this and thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Roger_Linn wrote:Hi stratblue,
I retested sync here and discovered that LinnStrument does have two sync problems that we'll be fixing:

1) It doesn't respond to MIDI Song Position Pointer messages. This means that it will play in sync if you start it from the beginning of a song but not if you play it from any other location. The workaround for now is to only play your DAW from the start of bar 1.

2) It plays one MIDI clock late when syncing to Ableton. We had been testing primarily with Logic, which doesn't have this problem. For now the workaround is to shift Ableton's sync about 21 milliseconds early in the Preferences > Link MIDI window, adjusting the MIDI Clock Sync Delay parameter.

Sorry about this and thank you for bringing this to my attention.

I noticed this also when slaveing to a beatstep pro

I'm getting a sync issue when syncing the step sequencer (in Scale mode) to Ableton. It starts the sequencer when I start Ableton's transport, but then (seemingly) randomly stops the sequencer even when Ableton is still running. Switch 2 is still lit, but it just gets stuck and the red light on the position bar at the bottom of the sequencer stops moving. Stopping and restarting Ableton's clock starts the sequencer again. I'm running firmware 2.01. Is anyone else getting the same?

Hi Mark,

I just discovered a LinnStrument bug that might account for what you're experiencing. If you quickly start then stop Live (and therefore quickly start and stop Live's sending of MIDI clock), LinnStrument's internal tempo jumps to a very high tempo because it's misreading the interval between this quick burst of MIDI clock messages. In your case, I suspect the problem may be that once LinnStrument is set to this very high tempo, the sequencer is unable to play.

We're aware of the problem but if this happens again, a short-term workaround may be to simply start and stop Live for a longer period such as a half-bar. Does this fix it when it happens?

Hi Roger,
Sorry for the delayed response; I've been away with work this week. It doesn't seem like what you describe, since it does it regardless of how long you stop the clock I think. It sticks, (and stays stuck even if you restart Live's transport,) then if you press Switch 2 it seems to throw out a rush of notes as it deactivates the sequencer. When you then restart Live's transport it starts the sequencer again - not sure whether it's a coincidence, but it only seems to happen in Drums Mode. Here's a video showing the problem - it's in triplet mode in this example, but it does the same in normal 4/4 mode as well:

https://youtu.be/MEN-jqmvvCQ

Hi Mark,
We have fixed the bug I mentioned but it's not in a beta yet. However that wouldn't affect what appears to be a gradual loss of sync over time, almost as though Live is sending Start but not MIDI Clock messages. But it's hard to tell in the video because of the video flicker and similar colors. I suggest reducing your system to the simplest setup to see if that fixes it, then adding things back in until the problem resurfaces. I did notice that you have many MIDI devices connected, so I'd suggest trying it with only LinnStrument MIDI enabled and nothing else, and with a simple sequence in LinnStrument containing one note on each 1/4 note. That will make it easy to compare the sequencer's 1/4 notes with Live's metronome. If that solves the problem, then add other MIDI devices back in one at a time to learn which one is causing the problem, or adding sufficient processing needs that Live becomes overloaded. One thing I've noticed about Live is that its MIDI handling doesn't seem to be as efficient as it could be, which may be why Ableton chooses to discard incoming Poly Pressure and Channel Information.

Thanks Roger. I'll give that a go and report back.

Hi Roger,
I've disconnected everything except the Linnstrument and my audio interface (iConnect Audio 4+) and turned all iConnect MIDI ports off in Live. I've then created a basic Live set with a 4/4 kick beat and a MIDI track with a bell sound; the latter is picking up MIDI from the Linnstrument. You can see from this new video below that it still does the same thing. When the sequencer locks up you can see that the Global Settings light stops flashing, but MIDI Monitor is still showing clock going to the Linnstrument - likewise the MIDI clock out light continues flashing in Live. If I stop Live, toggle Switch 2 off and then start the Live transport again it starts the sequencer again, but it soon locks. As an update to last night, it's not just happening in Drum mode - it's done it in Scale mode as well tonight.

https://youtu.be/auP-QCJPoQ8

Thanks,
Mark.

This time I noticed that you have LinnStrument set to "Remote" which makes no sense because LinnStrument is not a remote control device like a remote transport. Try turning this off.
Also, can you tell me how old you computer is and what OS version it is running?

Roger_Linn wrote:This time I noticed that you have LinnStrument set to "Remote" which makes no sense because LinnStrument is not a remote control device like a remote transport. Try turning this off.
Also, can you tell me how old you computer is and what OS version it is running?
Hi Roger,
The 'remote' is activated on the input as this allows Live to use the CC faders from Linnstrument as controllers for parameters in Live. I can't try turning this off now, as I'm away with work until Friday and don't have the Linnstrument with me, but will try when I get home at the end of the week.

The computer is a 2011 MacBook Pro, quad core i7 with 16GB RAM and running OSX Yosemite with all latest updates.

Thanks,
Mark.

Do you happen to have another, more recent mac to try it on? I ask because even though you're using a Mac Pro, Live is probably using only one core, which on a 2011 quad core isn't very fast by today's standards. The symptom you describe is consistent with the MIDI clocks being sent erratically, suggesting CPU overload.

I don't unfortunately. Even only using one core I'd be surprised if Live was choking based on such a simple setup though; until recently I've clocked a Machinedrum to Live with no problems and I've also provided master clock to other musicians during live jams where I've been running CPU hungry plugins like Diva on my PC at the same time.

What I'll try when I get home on Friday is clocking the Linnstrument to the internal clock of my Akai Max-49 via my iConnect - that would at least confirm whether it was Live-related or a more general issue.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”