Roland Cloud

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
JX-3P Roland Cloud

beely wrote:
fmr wrote:For that price, you are able to buy a decent spec'ed laptop and a decent controller keyboard. Add a good audio interface (let's say another 1.000) and you already a much more powerful system, and with potential to grow "ad infinitum". And that system is upgradeable, since you can replace the laptop with a more powerful one, and you immediately have a newer and updated system - which is not the case with the System-8. That's the weakness of systems like the "plug-out" one.

And with a system like what I described, you aren't locked to plug-outs - you can use ANYTHING.
Sure, but for any money, you can buy other things. You could spend that money on a car, or a radio controlled helicopter, whatever. Someone interested in a System 8 probably already has a computer system and various plugins - they're attracted the to S8 because it gives them a standalone synth they can play live, and because you have a dedicated synth control surface that adapts to the different synth models, with correctly labelled and setup controls etc - that is a *big* win for synth programming.
Did you read what I wrote? I'm not saying it's best or worse. I said that what Roland is doing is not new (far from it). It was attempted in the past, and it failed. It has advantages and disadvantages. The question is how much customers will find it advantageous enough to invest on it. And the fact that Roland is not "updating" it doesn't help.
beely wrote: Buying a laptop and plugins gives you more sounds, but it doesn't give you a control surface, or a way to make music away from the computer. Different things.
With something like Komplete Controller Keyboard you have labels and several controllers for specific parameters (with some limitations, of course). Again, it depends what the aim is, what exactly is it that you want, and what exactly do you accept to give up. And System-8 IS a computer. It simply doesn't look like one. NeKo also allowed you to do music away from the computer, as did Noah... and they had customers. Yet, as products, both failed.
beely wrote: These are silly arguments really - products are what they are, and appeal or don't appeal to individuals, and they live and die in the marketplace.
This is the kind of argument that can't be denied, althoug it also doesn't add anything to the subject in discussion. :shrug:
beely wrote: As for Roland abandoning it - we don't really know yet if the whole thing *had* been "abandoned", whatever that means. Some people have said that Roland have abandoned the concept foolishly because it didn't do well in the market. Well - if it didn't do well, it means it's not appealing to people so why should they continue to invest in something that "failed"? Invest in the next thing that might be way better - or find out why it failed, and create new products that address those issues to make it more appealing. The idea that Roland should blindly keep making these things when no-one is buying them is stupid - they will adapt, and move forward, just as they have always done.
The business POV is not in discussion. About whether Roland did abandon it or not, that's what we are SPECULATING. The fact is that Roland has an infamous track of abandoned products and technologies, and the fact that it is not updating doesn't help either.

And it's not just discontinuing the products. They could discontinue the manufacturing, if there isn't enough people buying, but keep supporting the products already sold, honouring the commitment they assumed with their paying customers. Many companies keep supporting products that are no longer being sold. That's not what usually happens with Roland, though. Customers are left with TOTALLY abandoned products.

Time will tell, as you finished in your post... except that I already watched this movie and several sequels. I simply pointed it out, and tried to give some answers as to why this concept, although apparently logical and looking good on paper, did fail several times. Which seems to point that there aren't so many people interested in it as you may think. But times change, and what was true ten years ago may not be true anymore. We'll see.
Last edited by fmr on Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando (FMR)

Stupid buttons :x (DELETED)
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote:And System-8 IS a computer. It simply doesn't look like one.
Now you're using semantics to win a discussion.
My microwave oven IS a computer too, it just doesn't look like one! :lol:
When anyone talks about a computer here, they mean a PC, running Windows, OSX or Linux... and you know it.

T-CM11 wrote:
fmr wrote:And System-8 IS a computer. It simply doesn't look like one.
Now you're using semantics to win a discussion.
My microwave oven IS a computer too, it just doesn't look like one! :lol:
:lol:
T-CM11 wrote: When anyone talks about a computer here, they mean a PC, running Windows, OSX or Linux... and you know it.

:oops: Sure, of course I know it, but that's because the argument was that people wanted to be "away" from the computer. Buying a System-8 to be "away" from the computer seems like fooling oneself, IMO :hihi:

Anyway, I have nothing against System-8. Actually, I was advocating the principle, when NeKo and Noah appeared, and was regarding them as "the next big thing". The same happened with VariOS. Apparently, not many people agreed with me.
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote: :oops: Sure, of course I know it, but that's because the argument was that people wanted to be "away" from the computer. Buying a System-8 to be "away" from the computer seems like fooling oneself, IMO :hihi:
Depends on how they're using it - one could integrate a System-8 in an early 80s style setup... pretend like it's not much more than a(n) (hardware) Jupiter 8. :wink:

The System-8 does not seem to be closer to a PC than most digital DSP based synths.

Here is a video about opening it and having a look at the insides:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4tVgLlwekk

The main part are 3 "BMC" chips and a few memory chips.

The "BMC" chips seem to be the successor to the "ESC2" FPGA chips in System-1 and other Roland products.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

I've got a System-8. Trust me: it's a digital synth. You can say "all digital synths are dedicated-task PC's" but let's be real, it's far from a PC as anyone would know it. I definitely can't use my System-8 to file my taxes!

Ingonator wrote: The "BMC" chips seem to be the successor to the "ESC2" FPGA chips in System-1 and other Roland products.
Apparently, the BMC chip was created to drive the "Supernatural" sounds, and it's first use was on the new generation digital pianos from Roland:

"The way we do SuperNatural at Roland is in two ways:

One:

SuperNatural Piano Sampling:

We sample the attack portion of all 88 keys at 4 different levels. We incorporate the modelling to give those 4 levels a seamless transition to 128 dynamic levels. Also, the decay portion is completely modelled. This avoids unnatural looping of the decay portion of the sound that can sometimes happen with samples. Additionally all the resonances (String, Key off, Duplex Scale, Damper etc) are modelled as well. So you can see that the samples make up a very small portion of the overall sound.

Two: SuperNatural Piano Modelling.

There is no sampling involved in the sound creation process at all. Everything described above happens strictly through modelling.

Edit: SuperNatural Piano modelling required the development of a new processor called BMC (Behaviour Modelling Core) that forms the centrepiece of the new HP and LX series. My hope is that it makes its way to more and more pianos in the future, not to mention other Roland Products.
"

This was written in 22th of April 2016 by an ex-Roland employee, now retired.

System-8 has three of them. I don't know how many the new generation HP and LX pianos have, but, from the video you posted, it seems that the original design of System-8 was for a more powerful synth, and they later decided to cut down some parts, probably to make it cheaper.

Anyway, it has a motherboard, three CPUs, memory, and runs an operating system. Does this remind you of something?
Last edited by fmr on Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando (FMR)

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:I've got a System-8. Trust me: it's a digital synth. You can say "all digital synths are dedicated-task PC's" but let's be real, it's far from a PC as anyone would know it. I definitely can't use my System-8 to file my taxes!
Damn... I was counting on it to make my accountability :hihi:
Fernando (FMR)

This is a picture of the main board in System-8 with the 3 BMC chips and 3 memory chips:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/attachm ... g_0283.jpg
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

fmr wrote:Also, the decay portion is completely modelled. This avoids unnatural looping of the decay portion of the sound that can sometimes happen with samples.
Looping of the decay portion? Don't they mean sustain? Must be a typo... :P

T-CM11 wrote:
fmr wrote:Also, the decay portion is completely modelled. This avoids unnatural looping of the decay portion of the sound that can sometimes happen with samples.
Looping of the decay portion? Don't they mean sustain? Must be a typo... :P
They are talking about piano models. There is no sustain, only attack and decay. In a piano, the looping is all in the decay portion of the tone.

fmr wrote:
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:I've got a System-8. Trust me: it's a digital synth. You can say "all digital synths are dedicated-task PC's" but let's be real, it's far from a PC as anyone would know it. I definitely can't use my System-8 to file my taxes!
Damn... I was counting on it to make my accountability :hihi:
A missed opportunity for Roland! Having an insight in your taxes would make for better targeted advertising. :D

Ingonator wrote:FWIW what i like with the Roland Cloud Juno-106, SH-101 and alo SH-2 is that they have a dedicated second ADSR envelope opposing to the corresponding hardware synths. This could make a huge difference when programming your own patches.
I wonder if Tal will include one in an updated version of their U-NO-LX as well, would be cool. It could be turned off by default to ensure compatibility with existing patches.

Ingonator wrote:This is a picture of the main board in System-8 with the 3 BMC chips and 3 memory chips:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/attachm ... g_0283.jpg
Yes, you have the three "CPUs" and three smaller chips of RAM. On the other side of the board, you have another chip of RAM and two empty spaces where supposedly there could be another two RAM chips (it was shown in the video). There is also those empty spaces labeled CN something, which were supposedly for connectors, but don't have anything on them. The board on the left also has one of these empty, which the guy from video said could be for connecting the ribbon strip for aftertouch. System-8 boards have space for a v 2.0 apparently :hihi:

That's the "main" board. Attached to the cover panel, you have the "graphics" board, so to speak. At the left, you have the I/O board. It doesn't look like a regular PC motherboard (the functions are split across several smaller boards). But that doesn't change anything about what they do and what it is.

I never said it was meant to run Windows. I said it is a computer, which I guess noone can dispute. Sure, nowadays, our refrigerator, our hoaven, our laundry machine, our microwave, all have small one-purpose computers built-in. We may not think about them as computers, but that doesn't change what they are.

And our smartphones, or the GPS, or the "computer" in some cars, what are they? Yet, we can't run Windows on them either (well, we can, in some smartphones :hihi:)
Last edited by fmr on Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fernando (FMR)

Return to “Instruments”