FM8 in year 2017?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
FM8

Hey,

Think about an advanced FM 8 Synth

Not sure if Vemberaudio Surge do the Job of a FM8...
Is Max for cats Bengal a better choice in summary as FM8? or are they still so different.

Mattvk wrote:Hey,

Is Max for cats Bengal a better choice in summary as FM8? or are they still so different.

Rob Papen's Blue-II is also worth a look if you want a flexible fm synth

FM7 looked so much better.

Same situation with Battery 3 being better than Battery 4.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

FM8 is already a superb synth and still the best FM-Synth and one of the best overall synths out there. However FM8 seems to be abandoned by NI. NI "just" did service updates for years. A overhaul of FM8 seems to be urgent. Currently it's not worth the price imo but when one get it on sale or 2nd hand for some bucks you will never regret.

Rant on
Again to NI (I've contacted them many times via forum, email, etc. never got an reply):

FM8 need an update of the GUI (just 25-50% bigger- when not resizable)
FM8 need the the possibility to change the order of the FX.
FM8 need to get rid of the Analog / Digital "Quality" section (make some fx out of it)

Those little changes NI and FM8 is worth the price and again a must have. I used FM7 and use still FM8 and I love FM8 but sometime I'm really frustrated by the GUI and the fixed FX chain.
Rant off
rabbit in a hole

Autobot wrote:FM8 is already a superb synth and still the best FM-Synth and one of the best overall synths out there. However FM8 seems to be abandoned by NI. NI "just" did service updates for years. A overhaul of FM8 seems to be urgent. Currently it's not worth the price imo but when one get it on sale or 2nd hand for some bucks you will never regret.
this --> "FM8 is already a superb synth and still the best FM-Synth and one of the best overall synths out there." and then this ?? ->> "Currently it's not worth the price" ?? :dog:

I think FM8 is a fine synth. For a FM synth i do tend to gravity towards Sytrus more. FM8 isn't dead, but it nees some attention, a new UI and some updated FX (to tickle old and new users). I am afraid NI will leave it and will focus only on Reaktor, Kontakt, Maschine and their hardware.

Aside from GUI size and the data import bugs, I think FM8 is excellent as is. Granted, I don't do programming of patches in it.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Jace-BeOS wrote:Aside from GUI size and the data import bugs, I think FM8 is excellent as is. Granted, I don't do programming of patches in it.
I do program it - and on a fullHD 24" screen thetiny GUI is headache inducing, must be totally un-usable on a 28" 4K monitor

Autobot wrote:FM8 is already a superb synth and still the best FM-Synth and one of the best overall synths out there. However FM8 seems to be abandoned by NI. NI "just" did service updates for years. A overhaul of FM8 seems to be urgent. Currently it's not worth the price imo but when one get it on sale or 2nd hand for some bucks you will never regret.

Rant on
Again to NI (I've contacted them many times via forum, email, etc. never got an reply):

FM8 need an update of the GUI (just 25-50% bigger- when not resizable)
FM8 need the the possibility to change the order of the FX.
FM8 need to get rid of the Analog / Digital "Quality" section (make some fx out of it)

Those little changes NI and FM8 is worth the price and again a must have. I used FM7 and use still FM8 and I love FM8 but sometime I'm really frustrated by the GUI and the fixed FX chain.
Rant off

It also needs a better filter. I may be in the minority, but I think that one of the most important additions to an FM synth is a per voice filter. FM8's is quite outdated.

I'm a bit pessimistic:
the fact, that Arturia did the GUI update on its synth bundle doesn't mean that NI will do the same.
On the other hand, does anyone know how much the "GUI update" really cost?

Moreover, there are known bugs in FM8....
Maybe FM8 will be treated differently than the Korg Legacy collection that is similar "abbandonware" stuff.

Anyway, it's a stable synth with stunning sounds, low cpu usage,
so like Sylenth1, people will use it even if it's not updated

jdnz wrote:
Jace-BeOS wrote:Aside from GUI size and the data import bugs, I think FM8 is excellent as is. Granted, I don't do programming of patches in it.
I do program it - and on a fullHD 24" screen thetiny GUI is headache inducing, must be totally un-usable on a 28" 4K monitor
Note my reference to GUI size... :-)
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

exmatproton wrote:
this --> "FM8 is already a superb synth and still the best FM-Synth and one of the best overall synths out there." and then this ?? ->> "Currently it's not worth the price" ?? :dog: [...]
Context and correct reading my friend. 149€ for an (possibly) abandoned synth is too much 89€ would be fine I think. However. This ->
Autobot wrote: Currently it's not worth the price imo but when one get it on sale or 2nd hand for some bucks you will never regret
rabbit in a hole

Mattvk wrote:Hey,

Linplug Octopus is 8 op and also have different waveforms + additive synthesis onboard.

FM8 is good as is it is. Data import bugs aside I see no reason to update it and add more complexity. Like with the hardware FM series don't think there's that many people who have actually bothered to learn to program it anyway.
No signature here!

Maybe NI find it unlikely to sell any more licenses for FM8 or its updates? All they do is to pump Komplete bundle as well as Rektor ensembles and Kontakt libraries.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

robotmonkey wrote:FM8 is good as is it is. Data import bugs aside I see no reason to update it and add more complexity. Like with the hardware FM series don't think there's that many people who have actually bothered to learn to program it anyway.
No one want more complexity. Only a bigger GUI, the possibility to reorder the FX-Chain and (for some) an update for the filter. Just a bit more the just a service update. I still hope that FM8 version 1.5 will get those changes. BTW: I do program FM-Synths and I love it.
rabbit in a hole

Return to “Instruments”