Sound Forge seems to be a sinking ship - Poor Support

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Sound Forge Pro 18 SpectraLayers Pro

Magix bought Sound Forge, Acid, Vegas and Spectralayers last year from Sony and that left bad feelings in my guts.

I can reason this with my own experiences not only with the following case.

Last year I had a request to the magix support team.
It was the same as an entry in the magix forum as it was like this:
The bug which is alive since SF 9 still exists and destroyed files recently. Last one was a 24bit flac at 44.1k.
You can read about it in the folowing links:
http://forum-archive.magix.info/showmes ... eid=638174
http://forum-archive.magix.info/showmes ... eid=926310
http://forum-archive.magix.info/showmes ... eid=906850
http://forum-archive.magix.info/showmes ... eid=840079

So, if you have a workaround for the issue mentioned above I would be very pleased.

Audacity's recent version like all my other applications have no problems like this with the same file.
So it seems encoded correctly.
Few days later I got an answer by a German support member, that went like this (originally written in German)
German staff member wrote:
Very often it depends on the implementation of FLAC or Ogg Vorbis. Try in case to inactivate FLAC and Ogg Vorbis with the "Tweak Tool" or the "Radlight Filter Manager".

http://www.chip.de/downloads/K-Lite-Cod ... 70316.html

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/rad ... anager.htm

Please install then https://www.xiph.org/dshow/

Regards
xy
It was exactly this short and I wondered if that would help but while I want to give this "solution" a chance I tried and nothing changed but I installed useless crap to my machine. Sound Forge has the same strange behaviour.

So I responded to this answer like this (Even translated fro my German post)

I wrote:
Dr Mr. XY

It is not likely that. There weren't any direct stream codecs for flac or ogg vorbis. Whatever: I run the fixing service of "Tweak Tools" which doesn't find any errors. I could not switch off any codecs because there weren't any for 32 or 64 bit.

Then I installed the DS filter of xiph.org, which were represented in "Tweak Tools" now as proper working.

But the behaviour I described earlier - Sound Forge muting obviously and randomly parts of the FLAC file - still exists. And as I wrote earlier other applications (Audacity, Cubase 9, Spectralayers, sox...) do not destroy those files. That is exactly what happens with Sound Forge.

I would have been surprised, that the DS codecs were the culprits, because those files were created with the internal and own export function of Sound Forge. Sound Forge has its own Codec.
In the links I submitted this behaviour is documented several times.

Application: Sound Forge Pro 11.345

Regards

Jörg Burandt
As you can see, I was very accurate and faithful.
I got no answer from 3rd of January and wrote a reminder on 9th of January asking friendly if I can expect an answer.
Nothing happened until yesterday. More than three weeks ago I get this absolute irrelevant, unkind and botched answer.
I got this email in English from a German member of the German support, while my conversation was with exception of the first support question entirely in Geman. Simply embarrassing.
Dear Mr. Burandt,

Thank you for your message.

When saving the file, a small bit of silence is inserted at the beginning and end of the file. This is a side effect of the format, and there is no way to fix it. You will find that the same thing happens when using any software that utilizes the Fraunhofer MP3 codec.

--
Thank you for contacting Magix Support.

Best regards,
XY
I wrote back, but the answer I sent to this message was rejected because this case was closed by this guy. What a overbearing behavious is that? Only the customer who has an issue should decide if his case is closed. So it works in support teams I contacted from other companies and so it worked in support teams I worked for. Yes I was a support agent for many years and with a behaviour like this I would have risked my job seriously.

So I was left speechless for a moment again and I want let you know what I wrote because when you need professional support you are left by this company and you can only hope that there are some experienced users who can help you.

I wrote (The rejected mail):

Dear Mr XY,

I am shocked by your answer. Obviously you're guessing I am a complete idiot, you didn't read my messages or you simply know less about your product than me the customer. My question was regarded to FLAC which is an acronym for Free Losless Audio Coding and has nothing to do with the Fraunhofer Institute which holds patents for the mpeg encoding (aka mp3). Their encoder encodes to mp3 files. In the application folder of sound forge is a dedicated encoder for flac files. Your last answer is all where you come to in a time of two weeks? Seriously?

But I will give up now asking you anything because it is not worth any second more. I was patient. The last weeks having not only this completely unsatisfying conversation left me with this conclusions: Changing as fast as possible to competitors who take serious and competent measures for their customers, because I depend on valuable support, is the first and another one is to make both well documented cases (This one and that with the bad joke on Spectralayers) as public as possible.

It is simply irresponsible how you destroy my trust on you I had more than eight years and the good reputation Sound Forge and Spectra Layers once had.

Sincerely

Jörg Burandt
I really don't know what is going on there, but I assume they are milking the cow called customer for the last drop as they did with their "upgrade offer" on Spectralayers 4 last year and give a f*** on them. And when they sucked the old SF and SL development dry and implemented the parts they need for their other products SF and SL will only be history.

Very sad

So my question to you is for an alternative to Sound Forge (OK, I already think it should be Wavelab) and especially for Spectralayers which has no real competitor as I know.

Thanks in advance
and best regards
RL

ever wondered why sony did sell their software department?

Surely I did. But I hoped they disprove my bad expectations.

well, good things rarely happen...

actually i see an improvement here. in the past sony was simply ignoring that kind of correspondence. so magix at least has made an attempt to respond :)

Don't know exactly what you want to do, and if VST support etc - but AudioDirector maybe?
https://www.cyberlink.com/products/audi ... en_EU.html

It does list FLAC.

EDIT: And also support VST plugins.

Really impressed by their video editor anyway.
Last edited by lfm on Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

If it's just about converting your files to FLAC, you can also use external solutions. It is very easy in foobar2000 for example.

chk071 wrote:If it's just about converting your files to FLAC, you can also use external solutions. It is very easy in foobar2000 for example.
No that does not matter. I already tried this. SF can't handle any FLAC files but pretends it could.
The workaround is to convert them first to plain wav.
But that isn't my problem. Problem is that I cannot rely on SF anymore, because they give a s*** on it.

ReverendLove wrote: But that isn't my problem. Problem is that I cannot rely on SF anymore, because they give a s*** on it.
What do you think will raving about it here improve about the matter?

lfm wrote:Don't know exactly what you want to do, and if VST support etc - but AudioDirector maybe?
https://www.cyberlink.com/products/audi ... en_EU.html

It does list FLAC.

EDIT: And also support VST plugins.

Really impressed by their video editor anyway.
Yes that sounds good. Thank you.

I use the duo of soundforge and spectralayers mostly for restauration and sound surgery on field recordings where I can go deep into details.
The team of spectralayer and sound forge integrating each other is very useful and effective in this area.
Beside this I need them for mastering my own works and recordings.

chk071 wrote:
ReverendLove wrote: But that isn't my problem. Problem is that I cannot rely on SF anymore, because they give a s*** on it.
What do you think will raving about it here improve about the matter?
I am not raving. I simply described what they are doing. They don't work properly.
I am sharing my experiences for the benefit of the community here and potential users.
Not more or less.
At the end of my post you can see my questions to the community here to solve my "matter".

chk071 wrote:What do you think will raving about it here improve about the matter?
sometimes one needs to vent out...

bronxsound wrote:well, good things rarely happen...

actually i see an improvement here. in the past sony was simply ignoring that kind of correspondence. so magix at least has made an attempt to respond :)
Strangely I had some good experiences before. I needed support very rarely. But then I got useful replies.

bronxsound wrote:
chk071 wrote:What do you think will raving about it here improve about the matter?
sometimes one needs to vent out...
Probably. :wink:
Especially if your questions got rejected by the originally involved receiver.

that's what they are paid for. to be thick not clever...

bronxsound wrote:that's what they are paid for. to be thick not clever...
Ha! If I prove this that's good for me :hihi:

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”