Man From Govt vs DonkeyT - Superficial Superstar - Fast geetar pop

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Track 2 producing my boss's incoherent wailings, again working from just his acoustic guitar and vocal - mercifully short and fast this one (which is what his wife s....)

He kept banging on and on about it needing a guitar solo. I'm a crap lead guitarist but I thought, 'f**k it I'll do it on the midi guitar and experiment a bit'. I think he'll find I've given him not just one guitar solo (and probably not the one he was expecting), but instead twin lead axe, rather as if Iron Maiden had been drinking all day. Because of the midi I've also been able to put in some ludicrous faux whammy bar action... :hihi:

http://www.bennyleeds7.myfreeola.uk/man ... erstar.mp3

i like the guitars!

the singing is better than mine :D

keep at it! I like the vibe of this tune, rocking.

It kind of reminds me of a certain sort of 90s rock. And it's fun to listen to it - nice energy and vibe.

its a good song, well sung....buttttttt. you ready? here it comes.... it doesnt have to be recorded so hot. i'd prefer less harmonic distortion to loudness on it. the overall tonal balance also sounds a bit on the midrangy side. just my opinionated 2 bits, mind you. :wink:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Jesse Gorter wrote:i like the guitars!

the singing is better than mine :D
Welll.....let me just say that I'm a bit more of an expert on pitch correction than I used to be, and 90% of my practice has come with his singing.. :hihi:

davidstiles wrote:It kind of reminds me of a certain sort of 90s rock. And it's fun to listen to it - nice energy and vibe.
Cheers, showing our age..

layzer wrote: just my opinionated 2 bits, mind you. :wink:
I wouldn't have it any other way!

And, I think you've got a point here. Whilst a certain amount of of 'busyness' is inherent in this type of music, the mix is a bit fizzy, and I agree that the guitars especially could take a (further) upper middle cut. As always I'll leave it a bit then go back and do a proper job..

I didn't realize the guy from Counting Crows worked for the government.

Seriously, though, good job as always! Are those harmonies from a vocoder? It's a strange choice for the style, but it works. The guitar solo sounds surprisingly realistic. More real than some real guitars I've heard in recent releases...

nineofkings wrote:I didn't realize the guy from Counting Crows worked for the government.

Seriously, though, good job as always! Are those harmonies from a vocoder? It's a strange choice for the style, but it works. The guitar solo sounds surprisingly realistic. More real than some real guitars I've heard in recent releases...

The harmonies are from a combination of Melda's cut down version of their Harmonizer/vocoder thing which comes with Computer Music and also a couple of lines I programmed from the original in FL's 'Newtone'. There was no way he could have sung them! :o

The solo (and indeed all my guitar parts), I played it on this;

http://www.yourockguitar.com/yrg-gen2/

which I took a gamble on and bought a few months back. For me it's been one of the best bits of kit I've bought. Once you've got it set up to how you play, for picking and strumming you can to all intents and purposes play it as a normal guitar. String bends (and also palm-muting) are out though, so for the solo I had to record all the bendy stuff afterwards with the whammy bar using two midi channels triggering Amplesound's Telecaster plug-in. - which is why to a guitarist it probably sounds slightly weird. I may also have gone a bit overboard with the bend at the end. :hihi:

Return to “Music Cafe”