what's the best roland tape echo emulation?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Tj Shredder wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:32 am I would only be interested in an emulation of the real thing, if I could play with the tape like Nils Frahm does…
The new softube tape echoes has something like this. I doubt you could get it exactly the same though, without the physical hands on part of it.

One thing that is different about Space Delay compared to Outer Space and TAPE-201 is how it handles panned heads.

Try these settings for example:

One head at 1/16 and panned fully left.
Other head at 1/4T and panned fully right.

Turn up the feedback/intensity so you can hear multiple repeats.

The repeats of Outer Space and TAPE-201 stay left and right. The repeats of Space Delay start left and right, but will quickly move towards the center.

When I use Replika XT in dual mode to compare, it's like Outer Space and TAPE-201 work in parallel mode and Space Delay works in serial mode (or maybe a mixture).
Replika XT manual:

Serial / Parallel: Switches between the Serial and Parallel connection options for the two
delays. When Serial is enabled, the input signal is sent to delay A, and the output of delay A is
sent to delay B. The output of delay B is then passed on to the main output and the feedback
loop. When Parallel is enabled, the input signal is split and sent to both delay A and delay B.

The best Roland emulation, for me is the Boss RE-20 stomp box. Nothing that I tried in software form came close than this.
Until Softube Released Tape Echoes...
This is not a direct emulation but nevertheless, Softube version has the best tape slow-down/speed-up emulation I have ever heard from a plugin... Similar trick when done on any other Tape plugin that I have tested so far (and I think I tested all major ones), the sound falls apart and gives away its digital roots. Softube developers are truly a master of analog modelling. Even Valhalla Delay, which is beloved by many and I still love it, does not come close to Tape Echoes in terms of modelling and realism.
Inal Bilsel
composer. visual artist. educator.
Website | YouTube | Spotify

I had an RE-201 for a few years, and Valhalla Delay nails it. Sean spent a long time dialling it in with a real 201. I haven't heard anything else that comes closer.

Hermetech Mastering wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:01 am I had an RE-201 for a few years, and Valhalla Delay nails it. Sean spent a long time dialling it in with a real 201. I haven't heard anything else that comes closer.
While demoing the Tapes Echoes I tried to replicate on Valhalla Delay. I really like Valhalla delay - but - after tuning into the dirt from the feedback it's clear that Valhalla actually ends up with quite a harsh sounding noise. I can't unhear it now, but it isn't that pleasant. (mostly disappears in a mix though...)

Tape Echoes, thought not a SpaceEcho, breaks down in a really nice way.

And now Cherry Audio add another option. A cheap one.

https://cherryaudio.com/products/stardust-201

SHall1000 wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:56 pm And now Cherry Audio add another option. A cheap one.

https://cherryaudio.com/products/stardust-201
Not bad at all for such a low (introduction) price. I don't like the realistically-modeled spring reverb that much, but the rest of the Stardust 201 is quite nice. The Motor on/off feature is fun. And it's cool that you can choose between four GUIs. I prefer the RE-501 style GUI. Definitely worth checking if you don't have a Space Echo plugin yet or want another flavour.

After years for me it is Modnetic by Surreal machines, have been using the M4L for a very long time and I love.
dedication to flying

I'm not an RE expert so i can't say how accurate it is, but my favorite delay with obvious “analog“ character is TAL Dub X.
It also has the algorithms from both of it's preceding freeware delays on top of it's own and i think the algorithm of Dub 2 actually sounds quite tape-ish that never gave me any reason to buy other tape delays.
The filter resonance sounds better in the X algorithm tho.
Oh and it's lacking diffusion if you expect that from a Roland Echo
The GAS is always greener on the other side!

rod_zero wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:59 am After years for me it is Modnetic by Surreal machines, have been using the M4L for a very long time and I love.
It's so good. It almost is a requirement to be inserted on a stab chord while you design the chord, because it can take the sound and feel into a completely different direction.

nobody talks about it, but its been out for 2 years.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2piXrV7V-X4
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

ddeez wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:59 am lmk..thanks! looking for non UAD option
Now that UAD plugins are no longer restricted to their hardware, I had to give the demo of Galaxy a try. UAD emulations are often considered the best. Galaxy is a good sounding tape delay for sure, but I'm not blown away tbh. It just sounds different than my favourites Outer Space and Space Delay, not necessarily better imo.

Another Space Echo plugin that hasn't been mentioned in this thread yet, is Black Rooster Audio's TD-201:

https://blackroosteraudio.com/en/landing/td-201

I had fun demoing it and it was tempting at the intro price (now expired), but in the end I decided not to buy it. I'll wait and see if BRA will further develope it in response to user feedback (see threads below). This plugin deserves optimization imo.

One of the things that sets TD-201 apart from the others is that it has a 0 ms mode that allows you to use it as a lofi tape plugin without delay. Most Space Echo plugins unfortunately don't go below 60 ms.

viewtopic.php?t=587942

https://gearspace.com/board/product-ale ... -echo.html

IK Space Delay hands down.

Since I have a Helix as well as IKM A5 edition, I would buy a pedal of it before shelling out $99 for poof ware/ This has been my mantra for a while now. If software is $50 or less, tempting.

Tj Shredder wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:32 am I would only be interested in an emulation of the real thing, if I could play with the tape like Nils Frahm does…
Have you tried Outer Space 2.0 yet?
Touch
Emulates pitch modulation when touching the tape/heads

Drop
Emulates volume drops when touching the tape/heads

Return to “Effects”