donkeyt-louisa-laid back pop

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Taking a well earned rest from producing the Man From Govt's inane wailing to finish up a few things of my own and tart-up some others.

This was my entry in the FL Studio 'Love Song' contest where you had to write a song to the lyrics provided by the developer Gol. Modesty forbids me telling you that I won :hihi: As a friend at work said, "so, you've basically won a load of synthesizer plug-ins that you won't use that much, that someone else would have loved to have had?" "Err, yes." It was a matter of honour to me as a writer of pop music! It all gets a bit Neil Diamond with the strings etc, which I will make no apologies for.

http://www.bennyleeds7.myfreeola.uk/donkeyt-louisa.mp3

Some technical gubbins;

Drumdrops Vintage Folk Brushes kit
Amplesound Acoustic and Telecaster guitars and bass played by midi guitar
Some actual guitar and crooning
Sonnivox Orchestral Companion Strings (for a £1!)

..and that's yer lot.

Once again, a great arrangement reminiscent of 90's alternative, with the bVIII and the bell-like guitar tones. How the heck do you always get the bass to sit so well in the mix? My only critique is also related to the mix, which is that the brushed snare is too loud. It being brushed, I keep wanting it to be a little less brash and up front than it is.

nineofkings wrote:Once again, a great arrangement reminiscent of 90's alternative, with the bVIII and the bell-like guitar tones. How the heck do you always get the bass to sit so well in the mix? My only critique is also related to the mix, which is that the brushed snare is too loud. It being brushed, I keep wanting it to be a little less brash and up front than it is.
Cheers sir. I think that on bass it's a simple trick that the engineer in the first studio I ever went in told me - turn the mix right, right down until it's barely audible. Can you still hear all the instruments properly? If so then you're on the right track. Works particularly for bass I think. That and the fancy £300 monitors I bought six months ago... :D

In this case I can definitely hear the snare. :hihi: I think you might have a point, down a bit perchance. I do have a weakness about loud drums....

Great chorus!

Cool stuff, this is a proper song, well sung.
I enjoyed it, it has an appropriate vibe for a sunday, don't you think ?
:hihi:

Cheers

well done man, thats a great vocal, also liked the little echoey bits you mixed in

Congrats on winning this competition - you definitely deserved it! ;)
I really like your voice and the whole composition, especially the chorus (btw really nice electric guitar tones in there)!

Cheers for listening! I've been mucking around with it a bit - surely a piece of piss just to turn the snare down a bit? Oh no it isn't, it's like bloody Jenga - mess with the snare and everything else now sounds wrong to me. :hihi: I shall continue to tinker a bit more I think, nearly there.

Our Jenga comes out once a year. Then it goes back into the box.

Great song, great mix, and those strings were definitely worth the money.

Good work :)

Return to “Music Cafe”