Cubase 9...oh god please no not daylight savings time

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Cubase Pro 13

And here we go again.....hours of VST scanning!!!!

Why Steinberg? Why? It is just daylight savings time...I already lost one hour with it. Why must I lose another!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?! :x

Cubase 9 seems a lot less prone to crashing when rescanning plugins, in my experience. Plus, it's much easier to get them out of the blacklist now. I'll probably be cursing in a couple of weeks time though when BST kicks in...

Well I have hundreds (and yes I use them) and for the most part it is ok...till I hit Izotope...then I have to be present to click the "ok" to get through the popup error boxes. Sadly Izotope adds dlls that aren't plugins but clearly part of the GUI. Deleting them means the plug works but no GUI. Keeping them is not an issue...TILL CUBASE DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TIME RESCAN!

Steinberg. I mean PLEASE respond and explain to me why I go through this crap twice a year for no known reason. If I reinstalled or even upgraded, I get it. But change of time? No.

I have Cubase Artist 9 installed for a while now, but it hasn't yet rescanned my plugins. What is a "daylight savings time rescan"?

All this scan and rescan process is a just a huge waste of time, and useless for the most part.

Many times I had problems with plug-ins that passed scanning, and also had plug-ins failing scan that were later rescanned and proved to be reliable. I wish they would at least allow us to choose whether or not to scan, and when.
Fernando (FMR)

Daylight savings time is one of the most stupid things the USA does. Probably.

I hate it so much that I refuse to change my clocks (the few manual ones I have left, i.e. in my car).

f**k daylight savings time, and f**k the idiots who came up with it, f**k every single aspect of everything they were trying to achieve with it, f**k their vapid little idiotic legalese, and f**k them squarely in their sordid, squalid, fetid little soul bits.

Hope Cubase pulls its *.exe out of its ass and works properly for you at some point.

Curse words aside, i still have no idea what daylight savings are. Do you get the powered turned down at some time, or what?

Heh...ok so some hate it more than me. But I agree that it is a useless thing (daylight savings time, that is). It should stay where it is right now and never change again. What a waste.

And as far as Cubase goes I finally got through it with all of my Izotope stuff blacklisted again (yes the 64 bit stuff)...but at least the VST 3 version works so I am not out on a limb with it.

I hate it mostly because I work really hard to get a well-oiled machine just to have this mess happen again.

chk071 wrote:Curse words aside, i still have no idea what daylight savings are. Do you get the powered turned down at some time, or what?
GIYF
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_saving_time

So Cubase rescans the plugins, when the time is set back and forth?

chk071 wrote:Curse words aside, i still have no idea what daylight savings are. Do you get the powered turned down at some time, or what?
We are forced twice a year to change the time by one hour. Early in the year we move our clocks forward one hour. Later in the year we move it back one hour. It was invented by Benjamin Franklin as a resource to allow farmers more daylight time to work their crops as well as conserve on energy usage.

It is stupid because no matter what time it is you cannot change how long the sun is visible. And you will use energy when and where you can irregardless of using it. So it just makes no sense and really is not a factor anymore.

We are not the only country that does it. And not every state in the US recognizes it. Still it needs to be abolished.

Oh, we do that too. I was just confused about the terminology.

How long does a complete rescan of your plugins take for you, including the click orgy you described?

personally I dont get the uproar over daylight savings time, I have far more things to be concerned with. More power to you I guess if you dont, but seriously it's such a minor thing. In fact the extra hour of light tonite means I'm grilling outside steaks that have been in a marinade since yesterday without my outside lights on...it will probably only be around 10°(f) but that wont stop me (nor does light tbh :hihi: )

Meanwhile Maine actually is working on a bill to switch to the Atlantic time zone by eliminating DST. That will mean here that quite possibly it could still be dark on some winter days at around 8:30 in the morning depending on what time scenario they stick with. However if that were the case (or if they stuck with DST) some summer nights it would not get dark until almost 10:00pm :shrug:
AUGUSTA, Maine —

Maine lawmakers are considering moving Maine to a different time zone, but don't change your clocks just yet.

The proposal before a legislative committee would move Maine out of the Eastern Time Zone and move it to the Atlantic Time Zone by eliminating daylight saving time.

"Twice a year, I hear the grumbles and complaints about why are we still doing this any more? It doesn't make sense, and isn't it a pain here in Maine? At 4:30, the sun's gone down?" Sen. Eric Brakey said.

The move would put Maine one hour ahead of the rest of the states in the Eastern Time Zone for half of the year and in the same time zone as parts of Canada and Puerto Rico year-round.

Advocates said the concept of daylight saving time no longer makes sense, and changing the clocks twice a year is disruptive.

"There have been studies done that have estimated that the cost of daylight savings time nationwide, we lose half a billion dollars in productivity as a result of just trying to adapt to this hour change twice a year," Brakey said.

Mainers who WMTW talked to had mixed opinions on the idea.

"I think reverting to an Atlantic time would be fine," Emilee Winn said.

"I don't like the fact that we shift back and forth between the daylight saving time. To me, it seems more natural to be in the Atlantic Time Zone," Brad Burkholder said.

"Fall back is definitely my favorite holiday, so I would miss it. But I think it would be odd if we were the only state in the vicinity that did that. I think it would get a little too confusing," Caitlin Morrisroe said.

Brakey said although he generally supports the move, he agrees it would cause some problems for Mainers who regularly cross state lines.

"If the final bill that came out of committee were to say that Maine was going to do it alone, I might have some pause and reservation about that. We could pass it and put a clause that says only if Massachusetts or New Hampshire were to also do a similar change would it go into effect in Maine," Brakey said.
http://www.wmtw.com/article/backpack-ta ... me/9122727
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

although I would prefer we pick a time and stick to it, there was an actual reason why it was done to begin with. But, we stick to it out of habit more than anything else now. The kerfuffle over plugin rescan caused by the change is internet drama queen stuff.

This morning ..
1) start cubase
2) get coffee and donut
3) come back with coffee and start using cubase
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

Nice if that were true.

1) Start Cubase
2) get coffee and donut
3) Come back to see I am only on "B" and a white pop-box because of a missing VST dependent dll, that if present crashes Cubase, but when removed works fine
4) Reinstall that plugin
5) See 1
6) Wait another 20 minutes till you hit the M's and think nothing could go wrong now, and purposely walk Cubase through Izotope's stuff
7) Take a call and grab another cup of coffee
8 ) Come back just to see that what happened at 3 has happened with the "P"'s and another white box has popped up
9) See 4
10) See 5
11) See 6 but change the letter to T
12) Go get vodka to offset the three cups of coffee
13) Come back to see a few new blacklisted plugins that are 64 bit and try to get them accepted
14) One or two don't work...no big deal
15) Load project just to find that the one or two you just said "no big deal" to are the very ones used on your current project
16) oh and I forgot that I have to revisit 3, 4, and 8 to re-remove those pesky DLL's that freeze me

Drama yes. Queen no. No royalty here. Just frustration.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”