XFer's Serum for iOS?

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Serum

Anybody know if there are plans or talk about XFer porting Serum to iPad? If so, sources/links appreciated. This would be a game-changer.

Yeah probably not gonna happen considering how much CPU Serum needs.

That's like asking if there are plans for having 3DS Max on iOS. Good luck with that for now!

The iOS community would love it for sure but.....no way. Maybe in a far far future, who knows.
Serum is not cheap and you can´t sell iOS synths for 30+ euro/dollar.
As mentioned, it uses a fairly amount of cpu but that shouldn´t be such a problem with newer iOS devices.
Before that would happen i think there would be a Cthulhu for iOS first. But also no sign of it.
I would be happy, even more if U-he also makes iOS synths then.
Maybe in a few years. I would like to see doing those synth genius a multi-touch synth which is more than a desktop port.

Cinebient wrote: I would be happy, even more if U-he also makes iOS synths then.
+100000000000. Especially for u-he.

themagicalkamja wrote:
Cinebient wrote: I would be happy, even more if U-he also makes iOS synths then.
+100000000000. Especially for u-he.
Don´t wait for it. I even asked them but they doesn´t seem to be interested anytime soon. I can understand that because it´s a low budget market.
But iOS has already some great synths you even don´t get for desktop...even if i would prefer them as AU/VST and would pay a bunch more for it.

There are amazing synths for iOS, like Waldorf Nave, or Cakewalk Z3TA. So, i would say it isn't totally unrealistic to imagine Serum for iOS, the question is just if Steve wants to do this, or, is willing to optimize, or compromise, to be able to make it work on iOS. IMO, not worth it, TBH, as i feel like audio on iOS is a short term hype, and will be gone soon anyway. Don't hate on me please, that's just my opinion. :) Actually, i do believe we will soon see fully fledged OS's on mobile devices anyway (already valid for Windows 10 tablets), which will be able to run our desktop DAW's and plugins, so...
Last edited by chk071 on Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cinebient wrote:I can understand that because it´s a low budget market.
But iOS has already some great synths you even don´t get for desktop...even if i would prefer them as AU/VST and would pay a bunch more for it.
Not to derail my own post into a different discussion, but I think it's bogus if developers decide not to create top notch iOS synths and price them comparably to their desktop counterparts. I do understand from a business perspective that, compared to the established precedent of rock-bottom app pricing, a $100 app would scare off a lot of people. But I seriously doubt that there aren't people who would pay that much, especially die-hard u-he, XFer, etc. fans who (a) know that the app will deliver and (b) consider these apps as serious musical tools rather than just playthings simply because it's a mobile app. The days of high-quality iOS music are well upon us.

Just my two cents on that issue.

chk071 wrote:TBH, as i feel like audio on iOS is a short term hype, and will be gone soon anyway. Don't hate on me please, that's just my opinion. :)
I HATE YOU!

themagicalkamja wrote:
Not to derail my own post into a different discussion, but I think it's bogus if developers decide not to create top notch iOS synths and price them comparably to their desktop counterparts. I do understand from a business perspective that, compared to the established precedent of rock-bottom app pricing, a $100 app would scare off a lot of people. But I seriously doubt that there aren't people who would pay that much, especially die-hard u-he, XFer, etc. fans who (a) know that the app will deliver and (b) consider these apps as serious musical tools rather than just playthings simply because it's a mobile app. The days of high-quality iOS music are well upon us.

It's a totally different market. And, i'm pretty sure people indeed wouldn't in big numbers pay for desktop priced plugins, or DAW's for mobile devices. It's more of a gadget thing, and you'll also want to stay competetive to apps from other application cases.

Serum? I don't really see the benefit of it on iOS. If you want a touchscreen Serum experience then get a Microsoft Surface.

I'd rather see Steve spend his time on normal Serum development than tinker with iOS stuff.
:borg:

themagicalkamja wrote:
chk071 wrote:TBH, as i feel like audio on iOS is a short term hype, and will be gone soon anyway. Don't hate on me please, that's just my opinion. :)
I HATE YOU!
:( :)

chk071 wrote:
themagicalkamja wrote:

It's a totally different market. And, i'm pretty sure people indeed wouldn't in big numbers pay for desktop priced plugins, or DAW's for mobile devices. It's more of a gadget thing, and you'll also want to stay competetive to apps from other application cases.
I see it not this way :D I think it just started and will grow. Maybe faster than the desktop world in a few years and all the big player try to jump on the new money train. Or not, who knows.
A full blown OS like windows is a dead end for great multi-touch apps......where are they there?
A lot of those iOS apps are unique and have a very different (better) way to interact with sound, waveforms, on screen expressive playing etc. and GUI´s which are really made mainly for multi-touch. I see iOS not as the future as workstation but as a very very versatile synth machine and midi controller.
I must say Apple was right to don´t combine the 2 OS here.
Back to topic....just ask what Steve says to it. But of course mostly you get the "standard" answer like "Maybe in the future,..... bla bla bla".
In the meantime Nave is a good wavetable synths for iOS i think. Or the Wolfgang Palm apps are great too.

As far as i'm concerned, it's just a matter of making your apps touch-friendly, Windows 10 has all that it takes to make good touchscreen apps in there (and converge between desktop and handheld/touch use). :) MacOS will surely soon follow, as will Google Andromeda (i think).

About running DAW's, and synth plugins on a handheld device, hmm... dunno. Just not my thing TBH. Nothing beats a big screen, a midi keyboard, knobs, and mousework for me. YMMV.

chk071 wrote:As far as i'm concerned, it's just a matter of making your apps touch-friendly, Windows 10 has all that it takes to make good touchscreen apps in there (and converge between desktop and handheld/touch use). :) MacOS will surely soon follow, as will Google Andromeda (i think).

About running DAW's, and synth plugins on a handheld device, hmm... dunno. Just not my thing TBH. Nothing beats a big screen, a midi keyboard, knobs, and mousework for me. YMMV.
Not really for me. If you create an app with multi-touch in mind it´s more than just making it a bit more multi-touch friendly.
I think you are right about your last part but i´m talking about apps like borderlands granular, Geoshred, Animoog, Shooms, Patterning, Concentric etc. which really makes use of it.
Most "normal" layed out synths are far away from this experience.
It´s simple, the right tool for the right device.
I see a future for both worlds since i use both since years now side by side.
Where iOS really lacks is the FX part.
There is Virsyn, which just released a great multi band (27) frequency shifter. Virsyn is an example that some also seems to abadoned the desktop world and focus on iOS these days.
Again i´m off topic, sorry. Had a few Ouzo.

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”