Fathom Synth Development Thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Fathom Synth

RPH, Peter. I don't understand what you both are doing. FM works great for me with Spectral Modulation enabled. Also, you do not need to modulate anything for the Spectral functions to work. If you are using an additive spectrum oscillator and you only have partials one through five defined and your spectral modulation partials start at five then obviously you are not going to hear anything. Please read the manual and understand how this feature works. It is operating on harmonic partials and those partials have to be there for you to hear them being modulated.

Please try the following.

Add a new fathom track.
Or the upper right square buttons click the middle circle and clear the preset.
Go to Settings, Processor, upper right and disable Intel Parallel.

Drop in a wave draw oscillator.
Start playing the host so you can hear everything.
Go to the FM page and enable FM.
Set Mode to Free Running.
Set Ratio Multiply to 1.5 and Amount 2.0.
This will create very heavy FM so you can make sure you hear it.
Click on the Spectrum page and set top left Amplitude to zero and Phase to 0.75.
At far upper left toggle on Spectral Mod.
You will hear the phase distortion at the same time as FM
The center graph will wiggle wildly proving you have spectral phase modulation.

Clear the preset.
Drop in an additive spectrum oscillator.
Do the same FM settings above.
Click on the Spectrum page and set top left Amplitude to zero and Phase to 0.5.
At far upper left toggle on Spectral Mod.
You will hear the FM and the spectral phase modulation at the same time.

In both cases you will hear FM and spectral distortion at the same time
without adding any modulations. If you continue to have problems please email me your preset.

I checked the website and it appears this synth is not yet running M1 silicon native - website didn't even say if it was running on Rosetta 2 .
can anyone confirm this ?
Zen

Please explain M1 Silicon and Rosetta 2.

FathomSynth wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 6:01 pm Please explain M1 Silicon and Rosetta 2.
M1 Silicon, the new CPU's Apple uses, for there new line up, ARM based CPU's, not intel anymore.

Rosetta 2 is the kind of VM for non-native (i.e. not M1) programs, so that they can run on M1 CPU's.

the transition to M1 is about one year now... well a bit less..

We only support Intel AVX2 in Windows. There are no plans to recode everything for vector processing on any other CPU platforms. Also we only build Intel AVX for Windows as we are not aware of yet of any ability in XCode to build for AVX2 on Mac. If Rosetta is an emulator like VMWare that is up to you. I don't experiment with that. If you want parallel processing you have to run in Windows.

This effectively means Fathom will be a Windows only product going forward. At the end of 2022 all new Macs will use M1 CPUs.

Old Norse wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 7:21 pm This effectively means Fathom will be a Windows only product going forward. At the end of 2022 all new Macs will use M1 CPUs.
No, it does not.
Performance will be best on Intel CPUs, because support of AVX instructions.

You either develop for a platform, or you don't. The developer's statement above: "If Rosetta is an emulator like VMWare that is up to you. I don't experiment with that" does not bode well for the future. I'll keep using Fathom Pro on my Intel Mac for now, it sounds utterly fantastic, but will not upgrade to Fathom Vector until given some assurance of a more solid commitment to upcoming CPU generations on Mac.

I think we're talking about this (seems fine for Fathom):
https://developer.apple.com/documentati ... le-silicon

And this, which will be supported for years (and something an end-user should try?):
https://www.computerworld.com/article/3 ... -macs.html

Which is different to supporting an Intel specific instruction set (AVX).
Everett clearly states he isn't aware that Xcode supports that bit for Mac.

So, you're only asking for a port to M1.
If I'm correct there will be a continued support for Mac, no change there.

We will continue to build our code for Mac OSX using XCode. The reason we build our parallel processing code for Intel AVX2 for Windows is because Visual Studio the C++ development studio for Windows provides a compiler which builds the intel instructions for Windows and because Intel provides compiler tools which are compatible with Visual Studio for Windows. The reason we do not build it for Mac is because XCode the C++ development studio for Mac OSX does not provide a compiler which builds intel instructions for Mac OSX even if it physically has the Intel CPU and it does not compile the standard Intel instructions.

Also be aware that a year or two ago Apple disabled all public support for independent application and plugin developers on their operating system unless developers go through their licensing program. Windows is an open operating system which in my opinion means it is a real operating system. Anyone developing an application can release a product which runs on their operating system. Apple OSX is a club you must belong to in order to develop applications for. Also Apple XCode consistently disable features in their compiler such as Win 32 support so that all users can be mandated what to use. There are also constant compatibility issues in Apple OSX releases for applications and multiple builds must be created and provided to handle this while Windows applications will run on virtually any 64 bit windows computer.
Last edited by FathomSynth on Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Version 3.8 has been released.

It adds Intel AVX2 parallel processing to Fathom Vector VST3.
The one oscillator limit for Spectral Modulation has been removed.
Version 3.8 includes the Mac OSX builds.

The sound banks page includes four audio songs demonstrating Spectral Modulation.
You can also download the original Ableton project files.
https://www.fathomsynth.com/banks

FathomSynth wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 5:04 pm Version 3.8 has been released.

The sound banks page includes four audio songs demonstrating Spectral Modulation.
the AVX2 can now be enabled for Vector VST3. and FathomFX is now also VST3.
FM does work + Spectral Modulation.

Thank you.

Sorry still the same, the Spectrum dials to the right on the Spectrum tab have "no effect"

Simple steps:
1.) Drop Additive Oscilator into Routing, go to Oscillator Tab, set partials to 500.
2.) Go to spectrum tab
3.) active spectral mod: Now dial is set to on, set phase mod to full any others to zero
4.) Press a key on the keyboard
5.) Change any of the dials to the right.
6.) Watch spectrum ==> No effect at all. Neither display nor sound changes.
Expected behaviour: When changing the dials the spectrum display in Fathom changes
--
7.) Add a LFO modulator to partial min, set LFO speed "quite" low
8.) Press a key on the keyboard
9.) Change any of the dials to the right.
10.) Watch spectrum ==> suddenly the dials do work when changed manually.

But the modulation LFO does not do anything. On would expect to see the min partial slowely move...
Expected behaviour: The lfo mod should have visible impact on spectrum display.

So, that is kind of 10 easy steps. This is the same behaviour in Cubase 12 and Bitwig 4.2 on my system. Windows 10. Currently no custom GPU only the onboard one. Core i7, 32 GB.

Yes, you are right that is a bug.
I will fix it and make a new release.

There was never meant to be visual feedback on the spectrum lines
those are only for setting the nominal value of each harmonic.

Return to “Instruments”