Fathom Synth Development Thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Fathom Synth

By the way, I'm not able to update to 3.8 within Fathom on Mac. I says it's checking for an update but never does anything else. Mac Monterrey, Bitwig 3.2.

You can't run the settings update from a Mac it will not allow socket communication.
You'll have to email support.

FathomSynth wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:32 am You can't run the settings update from a Mac it will not allow socket communication.
You'll have to email support.
I see, thanks. I did do that and was told to update in my DAW :) Plus I just got a response with broken links to 3.7.

Sorry, I accidentally sent the old links to 3.7.
I just updated everyone who requested new links to 3.8.
Keep in mind there will be yet another new release to fix the bug above.
It will be version 3.82.

Lots of plugins on the Mac can check for an update online. Maybe it requires a signed installer, however? I can understand not wanting to pay for that.

Version 3.8.2 is released.

It fixes the spectral modulation dials on the right not working which control the partial ranges.

FathomSynth wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:39 am Version 3.8.2 is released.

It fixes the spectral modulation dials on the right not working which control the partial ranges.
thanks!

Perfect! Works like a charm now and is fun to play with! :tu: :tu: :tu:

] Peter:H [ wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:01 pm

Perfect! Works like a charm now and is fun to play with! :tu: :tu: :tu:
indeed!!! thanks by the way for the step by step reproducing of the problem!
and indeed, again, works like a charm and fun and great!

Fathom Version 3.8.3 is released.

It just fixes the bug in spectral modulation where the partial range dial could not be modulated.
The dials on the right hand side can now be modulated correctly.

fathom0086.jpg

Also here is information on spectral morphing.
https://www.fathomsynth.com/news
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

This patch of mine with the metamorphic OSC shows 60% CPU (one voice) with spectrum mod on.
Turning Intel Parallel CPU off or back on doesn't change CPU usage.
Anyone wanna try it and confirm what I'm getting?
Don't change the amount of voices, it overloads here (Intel Core i5-9600K)
RPH-Psybass-triplets.Seq.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

You have all 8 detune voices on, phase on, spectrum partials on max and every possible metamorphic feature enabled plus oscillator distortion. Of course you are running out of CPU. Was this an experiment to see if you could run out of CPU?

I tried to clean up this preset and bring the CPU into a reasonable zone and discovered you literally have everything enabled. You have shape shift, expand, overdrive, multiply, which will literally leave nothing left of your original waveform except one big wall of aliasing. Then on top of this you have eight detune voices, phase enabled, impulse enabled, ripple enabled with expand on, chop enabled with both width and frequency modulated to the extreme limits. Then on top of all this you have oscillator distortion turned on (you would need more distortion at this point?).

With all due respect I can't understand what you were trying to do with this preset other than to see if you could make it run out of CPU, which obviously it does.

Spectral modulation is a subtle effect. You have every possible metamorphic feature turned on so there is literally nothing left of your original waveform except a digital wall of noise. There is no way you are going to be able to hear spectral distortion at all if there already is so much distortion present.

Fathom does not manage CPU for you. You have to do this yourself. Spectral modulation is an extreme CPU load and you have it added to an oscillator which is already overloaded in every possible way.

Please read the manual chapter 11.

I would strongly suggest that you start from scratch with 3 detune voices and the middle voices set one octave low if that is what you really wanted. On the phase page just turn up Volume Phase. Turn on only spectral phase modulation and set Partial Max to 50 because you won't be able to hear any partials above that anyway. Then gradually dial up just a minimal level of either oscillator distortion or chop, but not both, until you get just the level of harshness you want.

For instance:
https://static.kvraudio.com/files/3302/ ... preset.mp3

SpectralModPreset.zip
That preset runs on my system at CPU 35% and it will probably be a little less on your system.

RPH wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 3:37 pm This patch of mine with the metamorphic OSC shows 60% CPU (one voice) with spectrum mod on.

I think RPH'S point here is not the 60% usage but:
Turning Intel Parallel CPU

off ...
... or back on

doesn't change CPU usage

I think RPH expected this:
  • turning off the Parallel CPU setting will increase the CPU consumption
  • and tunring it on again will reduce the CPU consumption
Which is not what RPH observed. Right, RPH?
Don't know whether this is the correct behaviour or not....

] Peter:H [ wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:54 pm
RPH wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 3:37 pm This patch of mine with the metamorphic OSC shows 60% CPU (one voice) with spectrum mod on.

I think RPH'S point here is not the 60% usage but:
Turning Intel Parallel CPU

off ...
... or back on

doesn't change CPU usage

Don't know whether this is the correct behaviour or not....
that is indeed how i also read it, it seems AVX only kicks in for unison?? but i can be wrong.

the presets i make, aren't that CPU hungry, well it still it eats a lot of one core, multithreading seems to be, well i can only compare it the best with Biotek2, you see multicore kick in, quite well (but all cores, so that is not always a good thing), but Fathom Pro/Vector really relies very much on one core.
and if you make your own presets, and other soft synths have it also, you must always consider the cpu load, of your own system, gladly.. that is quite capable, or very capable.

turning AVX(2) on or off, has no real influence. but i believe it is stated on the website, that it is for detuning, multiple voices.

] Peter:H [ wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:54 pm
Indeed, that was what I meant, but as Wasteland also points out Intel parallel CPU option only works for detune. Odd thing is I didn't see any difference in CPU usage, detune being on and using 8 voices of set to off. The combination of detune and spectrum mod on seems to do that?

@Everett:
Your response really cracked me up haha :clap:
Guess it's a generation thing? I don't think it's a wall of noise, it sounds great and doesn't alias at all. The combination of Detune and spectrum mod makes it sound fat. Just play one low note continuously and do some short octave notes on top, and combine with a good hard beat.

Reducing CPU wasn't my intention, but changing the detune voices from 8 to 7 and back to 8 saves about 10% CPU. Keeping detune voices on 7 saves about 50% CPU, but makes it phazy.
Turning off spectrum mod saves about 70% CPU, while keeping detune on at 8 voices.

Cheers guys. :tu:

Return to “Instruments”