Exponential Audio Reverbs R2 -> R4 is it worth it?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Exponential Audio: R2 Exponential Audio: R2 Surround Exponential Audio: R4

as you know there is the upgrade offer but is it a great step?
maybe more sound improvement, more presets etc.?

i dont need the surround option though :)

but as far as i see an upgrade for $149 is not the cheapest and while i also have nearly all valhalla verbs i wonder if R4 is another level?
Last edited by Caine123 on Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

the only indication that you meant R4 the reverb, not R4 as in Revalver 4, was your mention of Valhalla. you might want to mention more info about the plugin next time you ask such questions :)
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

Burillo wrote:the only indication that you meant R4 the reverb, not R4 as in Revalver 4, was your mention of Valhalla. you might want to mention more info about the plugin next time you ask such questions :)
sorry, you are right! :) corrected!
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Actually there is no surround option for R4, thats only an upgrade option for R2.
If thats what you meant anyway...

IMHO R4 is definitely worth it... Its expensive, but half off is pretty generous
for a "high-end" reverb like R4. Do you "NEED" it, if you own the Valhalla stuff?

Probably not... Is it another level? That depends, the Valhalla stuff is pretty cut
down "feature and parameter wise" in comparison. It would at a minimum, take
all 4 of them to match R4 in a fair comparison. To my ears, R4 can be a lot cleaner
*and brighter sounding, "less diffuse" than any other reverb I've tried.

Pristine sounding reflections. Of course, this might very well be a case of it
sounding too clear, for it to be overly realistic for many.

R4 is a monster reverb IMHO, with features to accomplish most anything
in the reverb world. Whether you need it or not, depends very much on you.

-Cheers

I tried it out and honestly felt little need to upgrade from R2. With the exception of the one new algorithm, they sound pretty much the same and most the new features seem to be intended for extreme effects and so forth.

Also Exponential Audio's policy of 1 activation, no computer authorization and NFR after resale are a bit of a showstopper too. Had these restrictions not been in place, I'd probably consider it much more closely.

This is just my opinion of course, interested to hear what others think too.

pekbro wrote:To my ears, R4 can be a lot cleaner
*and brighter sounding, "less diffuse" than any other reverb I've tried.

Pristine sounding reflections. Of course, this might very well be a case of it
sounding too clear, for it to be overly realistic for many.

R4 is a monster reverb IMHO, with features to accomplish most anything
in the reverb world. Whether you need it or not, depends very much on you.
Agree 100%. After using Nimbus, I couldn't wait for the same extra features (and more) to be added to R4. The extra filtering, modulation, saturation, etc. makes an already great-sounding reverb even better. The Hall 2 algorithm brings density modulation, which allows you to modulate the reverb without noticeable pitch changes.

IMO the extra features aren't limited to 'effects'. Compression/expansion and saturation via the WARP page give you tools that have always been used in conjunction with reverb. Also, Tail Suppress parameters can act either like a compressor for the reverb (with fast Tail Recovery) or more like a gentle sidechain ducking of the reverb (with slower Tail Recovery). The EQ modulation can add subtle movement to he early and late sections, and the Gate can be used to hasten the end of the reverb tail and keep it out the way of other things in the mix.

So you can use them all tastefully to craft the reverb to exactly what you need. And yes, if you want to, the extra bells and whistles can be used without taste -- allowing you to create anything they thought up in the '80s, and many things they didn't!

tl;dr: I consider R4 to be the best reverb plugin available, so I definitely think it's worth it!

I'm actually trying to get an upgrade to the R4-Nimbus bundle from them atm.
Well see what they say...

The $149 Focusrite upgrade price to R4 from R2, seems like a great value -- if these reverbs are what you're looking for. The $239 R2 (which is free during April, with the Focusrite program) plus the $299 R4 together are $538 list. In effect, you are getting both for about $150, or $75 each. Of course, that assumes you are interested in R2 and R4. From my perspective, R4 is a great reverb - well worth the discounted price.

you can only pay with a credit card? :(

Caine123 wrote:you can only pay with a credit card? :(

Paypal no good?

so i click BUY NOW

then get this window with NO PAYPAL option :/

Hmm, it must be a region thing. I can use paypal. I would try top contact them
directly. I'm sure they'll find away to take your money. :D

Good luck...

pekbro wrote:Hmm, it must be a region thing. I can use paypal. I would try top contact them
directly. I'm sure they'll find away to take your money. :D

Good luck...
good to know, thanks mate :)

fgimian wrote:I tried it out and honestly felt little need to upgrade from R2. With the exception of the one new algorithm, they sound pretty much the same and most the new features seem to be intended for extreme effects and so forth.

Also Exponential Audio's policy of 1 activation, no computer authorization and NFR after resale are a bit of a showstopper too. Had these restrictions not been in place, I'd probably consider it much more closely.

This is just my opinion of course, interested to hear what others think too.
This. I didn't feel R4 offered that much over R2. As a Phoenixverb user, the upgrade offer didn't snag me and the NFR element added to this feeling.

Caine123 wrote:so i click BUY NOW

then get this window with NO PAYPAL option :/

Wenn ich auf den "Buy Now"-Button klicke bekomme ich das hier:

Schau mal, ob du irgendwelche Addons, Adblocker, VPN-Tools oder was weiß ich im Browser installiert hast, und schalte die ab. Oder klicke einfach auf Paypal, wie im Bild zu sehen. :P

Return to “Effects”