Getting Hive?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Hive 2

(in reply to Wags)

I don't really think in those categories. We strive to achieve the best sound possible with anything we do. We certainly go for "character" here or there, but that is part of the feature set. I couldn't reduce a synth on just "how it sounds".

If, once Zebra 3 comes out, all people say is "meh, it sounds like Hive", I'd be very upset :lol:

(they won't)
Last edited by Urs on Sun May 21, 2017 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

S0lo wrote:
chk071 wrote:Dude, that's all good and stuff. But tell that to the people buying all those expensive Moogs back in the days. I think the important point most commonly missed is that it's not about the ability to make everything "sound good" in a lot of tedious detail work, it's about having tools which make life easy for you, because they sound good right out of the box, or give you what you're after, without much of that tedious detail work. But, hey, if you feel like you can do anything with Synth1, i guess there won't be much of a need for Hive either? Or would there?
I agree, "out of the box" is very useful, I admit, I enjoy things like that. And I'm big sinner my self ;). But too much of that can let you get carried away and forget that there is a reason for everything. Some times sitting for an hour or two to analyse something technically can make all the deference for years to come.
Yeah, you're right. Guess one has to find the right "balance" in that. :)

ATM, i'm completely saturated with the stuff i own either, so, something has got to be extra special, or totally different to what i already have, or it just won't justify the expense.

The only thing I can add is the consideration for CPU cycles.

Imagine what synths could sound like if they were unlimited by CPU cycles. Perfect analogue recreations, new synthesis that is beyond imagination, exceptional models of existing digital hardware synths. Everything but just better, no filter compromises, no bandwidth limiting, no 256kbps sounding synth audio engines, no more soft synth engines that feel like you have to push a square peg into a round hole when mixing them into your tracks.

There should be a place in the world for audiophile grade synthesis by now (Whatever that is ? But you catch my drift). That softsynth you pop in and bounce immediately because the sound quality is totally uncompromised by saving of CPU cycles. I for one would be very interested in this, compromised synths are done and we have plenty of them, it's time for the daddy synths I think. A developer somewhere just has to take the risk on it. :hihi:
Last edited by Synthman2000 on Sun May 21, 2017 12:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Urs wrote:(in reply to Wags)

I don't really think in those categories. We strive to achieve the best sound possible with anything we do. We certainly go for "character" here or there, but that is part of the feature set. I couldn't reduce a synth on just "how it sounds".

If, once Zebra 3 comes out, all people say is "meh, it sounds like Hive", I'd be very upset :lol:

(they won't)
Thank you. That's the word I was looking for. Character. Each synth has its own character of sound, not that the sound is good or bad. For certain things, I want a certain character. For me, the character of Zebra 2 is more "generic" and thus easier to use for more things than the character of Hive, which I find more suitable for other things.

So, while I think of Zebra as an all around synth and Hive as a more specific synth, I would prefer Zebra 3 to have the character of Zebra 2 as opposed to the character of Hive.

I'm sure there are many who wish for the opposite.

And by all means, if you can pull it off where Zebra 3 can actually switch character, go for it. You will obviously make more people happy.

I'm just going to wait and see what you come out with.

Urs wrote:(in reply to Wags)

(they won't)
I'm hoping this is relatively soon. I have some favorites, and I use Hive for the quicker workflow aspects, but Zebra 3 is one synthesizer I would consider purchasing in addition to those I have. The foundation seems to have been set for the next generation of a powerhouse model, not that anything currently in your lineup is lacking.
* AKAI, KRK, UAD, Softube Vol 1, Soundtoys
* Live, Logic, Serum, Spire, Dune 2, Hive

I'm getting Hives just reading this thread

Synthman2000 wrote:The only thing I can add is the consideration for CPU cycles.

Imagine what synths could sound like if they were unlimited by CPU cycles. Perfect analogue recreations, new synthesis that is beyond imagination, exceptional models of existing digital hardware synths. Everything but just better, no filter compromises, no bandwidth limiting, no 256kbps sounding synth audio engines, no more soft synth engines that feel like you have to push a square peg into a round hole when mixing them into your tracks.

There should be a place in the world for audiophile grade synthesis by now (Whatever that is ? But you catch my drift). That softsynth you pop in and bounce immediately because the sound quality is totally uncompromised by saving of CPU cycles. I for one would be very interested in this, compromised synths are done and we have plenty of them, it's time for the daddy synths I think. A developer somewhere just has to take the risk on it. :hihi:
Unfortunately, it doesn't seam that we're any where near improvements on CPU speed (hardware wise). There are major technical problems regarding overheating, the i7 Clock speeds has been stagnant at a 3.3GHz since like a decade ago (4.2GHz max). All Intel/AMD has been doing is adding more cores and improving here and there. Unfortunately, that doesn't cut it, even if your synth is multicore. Because multicore works only well when you have a parallel process (like polyphony).

There is no doubt in my head that Moor's law has stopped working a long time a go. And I wish that someone would correct me if I'm wrong.
www.solostuff.net
Advice is heavy. So don’t send it like a mountain.

S0lo wrote:the i7 Clock speeds has been stagnant at a 3.3GHz since like a decade ago (4.2GHz max).
Wrong. :) i7-7700 goes to 4.5 GHz stock (Turbo, which you can set to be active at all times).

Plus if you take OC in account, some of these can go up to 7 GHz. :) But realistically, you can push them to 5 GHz with air cooling no problem.

EvilDragon wrote:
S0lo wrote:the i7 Clock speeds has been stagnant at a 3.3GHz since like a decade ago (4.2GHz max).
Wrong. :) i7-7700 goes to 4.5 GHz stock (Turbo, which you can set to be active at all times).

Plus if you take OC in account, some of these can go up to 7 GHz. :) But realistically, you can push them to 5 GHz with air cooling no problem.
Yes, but then you'll have to provide proper extra ventilation to avoid shortening the life time of your CPU, wouldn't you? There is no guarantee.

Sure can be done by a nerd, but not for a common consumer/musician.

Thanks for correcting me on the 4.5Ghz thing
www.solostuff.net
Advice is heavy. So don’t send it like a mountain.

How do you set Turbo active at all times?

aMUSEd wrote:I'm getting Hives just reading this thread

I got the meat sweats!

aMUSEd wrote:How do you set Turbo active at all times?
In UEFI - disable any power throttling etc. then adjust the frequency of the CPU, provided the CPU allows that. Any "K" CPU from Intel does. Then, in OS, use the "high performance" power scheme.
S0lo wrote:Yes, but then you'll have to provide proper extra ventilation to avoid shortening the life time of your CPU, wouldn't you? There is no guarantee.
Well, if your cooler is any good, you don't have to do anything extra. Just balancing the components well (good mobo, quality RAM, great PSU, etc.) and it works. It's not rocket science. Today's mobos even have auto-overclocking built into their UEFIs. Anyone not into this stuff, there are people who build DAWs for living and can do it for you when they build you a machine.
Last edited by EvilDragon on Sun May 21, 2017 4:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

UEFI?

Fancy new name for BIOS. Get used to it, BIOS is dead. Long live BIOS!

"There is no doubt in my head that Moor's law has stopped working a long time a go. And I wish that someone would correct me if I'm wrong."

Quantum is coming. Everything is about to go neural. Your grand child will have to treat robots like people.

Return to “Instruments”