Yamaha S-YXG50 VSTi control panel for Reaper (JSFX)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The native midi out plugin for FL Studio seems to do this well, also.

So here i'm once more... Just want to say that the S-YXG50 panel works fine in Reaper 32bit and also 64bit with the S-YXG50 VSTi !
Reaper is amazing, you can do pretty much anything you want.

Quick tip: once you load the panel and S-YXG50 plugin on a track, you can save that as a track template, so that the whole setup is instantly recalled the next time you load that track template. Everything properly initialized etc. :)

It's been a while, but the panel got a small update, some fixes and requests done. Download link is the same.

• MIDI channel can be changed with RMB and mouse wheel
  • Shift+mouse wheel to precise adjustments of the sliders
  • Reverb/Chorus/Variation sends are per-channel settings now
  • RMB on a parameter to reset to a default value
  • Reverb/Chorus/Variation settings properly restored after loading

That's great thank you, will test it ASAP :-)

is there a way to retain program changes when exporting the MIDIs? it seems like none of the data is written to the resulting MIDI file...

Hi everyone, posting this here hoping someone finds it useful, I modified Shiru's control panel and added a couple of new features:
  • Default values for every parameter (obtained from the XG Specifications manual).
  • A new editor tab that allows the user to edit common voice parameters (filter, envelope, vibrato, portamento, etc).
  • Instruments are now saved per channel (parameters from the editor tab are saved per channel as well).
  • When changing MIDI channel the instrument category switches accordingly.
  • Serialize parameter values instead of slider positions to avoid inconsistencies due to float precision loss.
These changes allow to do stuff like layering two or more sounds by setting their rcv channel parameter to the same MIDI channel, all within the same plugin instance.

Note: This modified version is NOT compatible with Shiru's original version due to serialization changes, I labeled it as v2 so that both versions can be installed simultaneously if you need to open older projects.

Download: https://github.com/samlletas/syxg50-control-panel
Last edited by samlletas on Wed Nov 15, 2023 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Awesome work!

Would this work with the typical Yamaha XG rompler keyboards, like their DGX and PSR models?
If not, it might be a good commercial project.
Cheers

glokraw wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 6:25 pm Would this work with the typical Yamaha XG rompler keyboards, like their DGX and PSR models?
If not, it might be a good commercial project.
Cheers
I think it should as long as those keyboards support the same sysex messages from the XG specification.

Thanks, I'll check the manual. I know XG evolved over time, hopefully keeping some fundamentals like sysex with some uniformity, even if only a subset of sysex was coded in some low-end keyboard ROMs.
Cheers

Sysex is def not the same, if anything it would differ in product ID.

Just stumbled on this thread. The S-YXG50 is closer to an MU100 but comes minus the MU100 Exclusive voices. If you assume DB50XG or XG Level 1 you'll miss some voices. Should be 676 voices + 30 drum/SFX kits, 480 XG voices + 20 drum/SFX kits, 579 GS voices + 10 drum kits. Effect Processor: 11 chorus + 11 reverb + 43 variation effects

Full voice table and midi is here: https://web.archive.org/web/20060926124 ... g_spec.pdf

Personally, I find it simpler to manage the VSTi from XGEdit95 with a loopback midi for it which installs and runs just fine still on Win 10 and and 11 and then the Y2K Patch. Zip Password is 'yamahaXG' if you want a copy below.
You can control from General MIDI which offers a very restricted set of controls or via XG Sysex for full control. I mapped all the Drums to Bitwig DrumKits device as they are fine just Midi controlled unless you need the modulation fx.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1q6eLG ... p=drive_fs

samlletas wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:16 am Hi everyone, posting this here hoping someone finds it useful, I modified Shiru's control panel and added a couple of new features:
  • Default values for every parameter (obtained from the XG Specifications manual).
  • A new editor tab that allows the user to edit common voice parameters (filter, envelope, vibrato, portamento, etc).
  • Instruments are now saved per channel (parameters from the editor tab are saved per channel as well).
  • When changing MIDI channel the instrument category switches accordingly.
  • Serialize parameter values instead of slider positions to avoid inconsistencies due to float precision loss.
These changes allow to do stuff like layering two or more sounds by setting their rcv channel parameter to the same MIDI channel, all within the same plugin instance.

Note: This modified version is NOT compatible with Shiru's original version due to serialization changes, I labeled it as v2 so that both versions can be installed simultaneously if you need to open older projects.

Download: https://github.com/samlletas/syxg50-control-panel
Hi Samlletas, do you know how to use your fantastic control panel in FL Studio with YSFX? I load the S-YXG50 in FL Studio, then in the effects rack I load YSFX and load midi_syxg50_control_v2.jsfx, and it displays correctly, and I can use the interface - but no sound comes out of the S-YXG50 synth unless I disable your control panel, and it doesn't have any effect on the S-YXG50 preset, it's always the piano sound. I know that in your instructions you say to insert it above the S-YXG50 in Reaper, but I don't know how to do that in FL Studio. Or does anybody else know? I've tried setting the MIDI channels of the effect and the S-YXG50 to the same channel, but that didn't work.
ps YSFX isn't available on github any more, but I found it on a link on a Youtube video about it, by the video author, it's only 5Kb.

Return to “Instruments”