Yamaha S-YXG50 VSTi control panel for Reaper (JSFX)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've never used Reaper before (I'm an FL Studio user), but I've got the S-YXG50 working with Smalletas' control panel - amazing! CPU is unmeasurable on my Ryzen 9 3950X, an incredibly useful VSTi for adding pads, basses, and layering on top of other VSTs.
Thank you both for all your incredibly hard work, and for giving this away for free.

ChancyLegs wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:13 pm
samlletas wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:16 am Hi everyone, posting this here hoping someone finds it useful, I modified Shiru's control panel and added a couple of new features:
  • Default values for every parameter (obtained from the XG Specifications manual).
  • A new editor tab that allows the user to edit common voice parameters (filter, envelope, vibrato, portamento, etc).
  • Instruments are now saved per channel (parameters from the editor tab are saved per channel as well).
  • When changing MIDI channel the instrument category switches accordingly.
  • Serialize parameter values instead of slider positions to avoid inconsistencies due to float precision loss.
These changes allow to do stuff like layering two or more sounds by setting their rcv channel parameter to the same MIDI channel, all within the same plugin instance.

Note: This modified version is NOT compatible with Shiru's original version due to serialization changes, I labeled it as v2 so that both versions can be installed simultaneously if you need to open older projects.

Download: https://github.com/samlletas/syxg50-control-panel
Hi Samlletas, do you know how to use your fantastic control panel in FL Studio with YSFX? I load the S-YXG50 in FL Studio, then in the effects rack I load YSFX and load midi_syxg50_control_v2.jsfx, and it displays correctly, and I can use the interface - but no sound comes out of the S-YXG50 synth unless I disable your control panel, and it doesn't have any effect on the S-YXG50 preset, it's always the piano sound. I know that in your instructions you say to insert it above the S-YXG50 in Reaper, but I don't know how to do that in FL Studio. Or does anybody else know? I've tried setting the MIDI channels of the effect and the S-YXG50 to the same channel, but that didn't work.
ps YSFX isn't available on github any more, but I found it on a link on a Youtube video about it, by the video author, it's only 5Kb.
Hi ChancyLegs, I have no experience using reaper effects in other DAWs, but if even changing instruments doesn't work then my guess is that the S-YXG50 is not receiving the sysex messages sent by the control panel. I'm not sure if either YSFX doesn't support sysex messages or if FL Studio needs to be setup in a specific way. Have you tried placing the control panel and the S-YXG50 in different tracks and routing them?

There is ReaJS which I think does something similar to YSFX so you could give it a try (it hasn't been updated in a while though): https://www.reaper.fm/reaplugs/

This may be out of topic.
Anyone using SW1000 XG in a recently modern computer?

Regards.
maanga

I've found a sort of solution - on the Image Line forum, somebody has made a 'Dashboard' for the Yamaha QY100, and it works fine with the S-YXG50 - I just changed the port to '1' and the MIDI channel on the S-YXG50 to '1' and it sends preset changes to it, and all the other controls too.
I think only FL Studio owners can view the full posts, but they're here:
https://forum.image-line.com/viewtopic.php?t=119177

It doesn't have as many controls as the control panels here, but I presume all of those parameters can be accessed too, I may see if I can work out how to add things to the QY100 dashboard (I've never come across dashboards in FL Studio before.)

I've worked out how to add new controls to the QY100 dashboard, from the looks of things, it might be possible to add all the functionality that used to be in XG Gold (apart from QS300 mode, of course, as that only worked on hardware XG synths, and which made the DB50XG way more powerful than the SW1000XG...)

Return to “Instruments”