TDR Limiter 6 GE - Released!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
TDR Limiter 6 GE

You are amazing - thank you for explaining that!

FabienTDR wrote: tl;dr To summarize:
Limiting the peak level of a signal extends the bandwidth
and
Limiting the bandwidth of a signal extends its peak level

You can't have both at once! (DSP can be bitchy at times ;) )
Wow, this was both super interesting and easy to understand. When are you going to write more technical articles? ;)

I'm already working on a related tech article! With nice illustrations and examples.
Fabien from Tokyo Dawn Records

Check out my audio processors over at the Tokyo Dawn Labs!

Thanks for the cool plugins, I got Limiter 6 yesterday.

I wonder, are the libraries for TDR's plugins dynamically linked? There's some uproar about statically linking the C runtime library. I hope it doesn't contribute to that.

More info here:
http://support.presonus.com/hc/en-us/ar ... on-Windows
http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3469121

Also, can we expect VST3 versions of the compressors (Kotelnikov GE, Nova GE) sometime? My main interest would be that they automatically are disabled when they have no input, saving CPU, but it also makes sidechaining easier in some DAWs.

I finally got this as my first GE edition as well. Not that I wasn't going to
buy it, it was just a matter of getting around to it. As it happens saving
6 bucks was enough of a motivator to get round to it. Thanks for that...

Anyway: for anyone who gets it from JRRshop: They wont send you a key,
you will find it in your account. There will be a URL that you have to dissect
before you can use it.

Go to this URL: https://store.tokyodawn.net/downloadcode
paste your code (everything after the above URL in your download code)
there so you can create an account.

Then you can download the software, another thing: the installer will not delete
the demo. You have to do that before you can load the thing, because its difficult
to distinguish between them if you weren't paying attention when you installed it.

Anyway, its all a bit convoluted. Still a nice effort on the part of TDR to offer it
at all.

-Cheers

Hey pedro, that's very cool! Many thanks.

The full edition installers should completely overwrite the demo. I wonder what went wrong. After all, the demo editions use exactly the same file names. You are using Windows, right? I know that a hand full customers mentioned similar trouble, but we haven't been able to reproduce it yet. So any details would help (OS version? installation to a different folder maybe? things like that).

Regarding the customer experience, how JRR delivers the download code and points you to the download code redeem page is out of our reach. But I'm sure they be happy to hear your feedback. The process should be more or less equal to any other software manufacturer at JRR (go to unlock page, enter your code). If not, it could well be a bug/mistake.

FabienTDR wrote:Hey pedro, that's very cool! Many thanks.

The full edition installers should completely overwrite the demo. I wonder what went wrong. After all, the demo editions use exactly the same file names. You are using Windows, right? I know that a hand full customers mentioned similar trouble, but we haven't been able to reproduce it yet. So any details would help (OS version? installation to a different folder maybe? things like that).

Regarding the customer experience, how JRR delivers the download code and points you to the download code redeem page is out of our reach. But I'm sure they be happy to hear your feedback. The process should be more or less equal to any other software manufacturer at JRR (go to unlock page, enter your code). If not, it could well be a bug/mistake.
pedro! thats a new one. My personal fave is still "peekaboo" to which I was referred
to by Justin3am... :lol:

Anyway, yes was windows 8.1 64. After the install, 2 dlls remained.
1 with an x64 tag, one without. The demo didn't have the tag.
*btw: definitely was a 64 bit demo.

Thanks! btw I'll shoot JrrShop an email about the url...

-Cheers

Could someone clarify the Gain Reduction (GR) meters?
  • On loading, the Compressor's meter shows a single pointer, and a single faint blue background arc. Are these the current GR and the maximum GR?

The other meters show a single pointer, and two faint blue background arcs (one fainter than the other). What do the 2 arcs represent?

When I switch to "Stereo +Width" mode, I see two pointers and two arcs in the meters. Is one for "Stereo" and one for "Width"? Or ...
PS1 When in that mode, I found the Width controls slightly counter-intuitive. They are currently displayed as levels relative to the main Drive or Threshold control. I think that I would like to see them display absolute levels (so they would be initialised to the same value as the related main control). That way, the level I see is the level I get.

PS2: We can also switch to "Unlinked Stereo" mode - would separate Left and Right controls for Drive and Threshold make sense (if used sensibly ;))?
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

omiroad wrote:I wonder, are the libraries for TDR's plugins dynamically linked? There's some uproar about statically linking the C runtime library. I hope it doesn't contribute to that.
We link statically, for best compatibility and hassle free installation ("just throw the DLL into your VST folder").

Not only do we dislike the idea to add MS redistributables in all our packages, it seriously confuses the end-user and can messy updates by microsoft can break the application.

To be honest, Presonus' argumentation isn't particularly convincing. Other plugin hosts allow running plugins in separate processes, which solves the "issue" completely. Generally, it offers a much safer approach (no plugin can crash the host or other plugins).

This is the first time I've heard about this plugin type limit problem. The host could "easily" launch a new process when the limit is reached. You need to run ~64 different statically linking plugins at once (how many instances of each doesn't matter).

With modern systems having tons of memory on all levels, performance drawbacks are probably somewhat irrelevant (can't tell you with certainty, I never tried to load 64 different plugins and run them in real time). The bottleneck is a limitation of windows. The way out is: A separate process. Afaik AU hosts do the same.

Both approaches have their advantages and drawbacks. In our case, maximal compatibility/usability is the priority. But we could maybe offer alternative dynamically linking versions in a way or another (if our users insist, anyway).
omiroad wrote:Also, can we expect VST3 versions of the compressors (Kotelnikov GE, Nova GE) sometime? My main interest would be that they automatically are disabled when they have no input, saving CPU, but it also makes sidechaining easier in some DAWs.
VST3 yes, it's planned, maybe this year already (WPAPI/Soundgrid first, then we'll take care of VST3). Don't expect too much from SilenceInSilenceOut, though, most of our algorithms' I/O can't be predicted. There's things like infinite impulse response filter (IIR) or complex memory dependent algorithms like compressors and such that never return to zero in certain cases. Even if not audio, they depend on a running I/O. If we see a potential for optimization, we exploit it of course.
Last edited by FabienTDR on Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

FabienTDR wrote:(WPAPI/Soundgrid first[...])
:hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:
TDR on fire!

omiroad wrote:I wonder, are the libraries for TDR's plugins dynamically linked? There's some uproar about statically linking the C runtime library. I hope it doesn't contribute to that.
I think dynamically linked plugins sound more analogue than statically linked one.

Sorry. Just causing trouble. :wheee:

plexuss wrote: I think dynamically linked plugins sound more analogue than statically linked one.
But isn't this plugin designed to control dynamics :D

Thanks for the comprehensive reply, Fabien.
FabienTDR wrote:We link statically, for best compatibility and hassle free installation ("just throw the DLL into your VST folder").
This is the first time I've heard about this plugin type limit problem. The host could "easily" launch a new process when the limit is reached. You need to run ~64 different statically linking plugins at once (how many instances of each doesn't matter).

With modern systems having tons of memory on all levels, performance drawbacks are probably somewhat irrelevant (can't tell you with certainty, I never tried to load 64 different plugins and run them in real time). The bottleneck is a limitation of windows. The way out is: A separate process. Afaik AU hosts do the same.

Both approaches have their advantages and drawbacks. In our case, maximal compatibility/usability is the priority. But we could maybe offer alternative dynamically linking versions in a way or another (if our users insist, anyway).
Definitely not all DAWs use separate threads, so the static approach being more compatible is only true until this limit is run into.

Most people that run into the limit don't know what the issue is nor which plugin(s) caused this to happen. Therefore I don't expect many typical users to request a dynamically linked version, even if they suffer from the problem. Consider me one of the users who does insist, and rather than other users it's more likely that some DAW developers would insist as well. Also, the 64 slot limit is supposedly lower in practice because some plugins take up multiple slots per plugin. I believe UAD is one dev that does this.
FabienTDR wrote:VST3 yes, it's planned, maybe this year already (WPAPI/Soundgrid first, then we'll take care of VST3). Don't expect too much from SilenceInSilenceOut, though, most of our algorithms' I/O can't be predicted. There's things like infinite impulse response filter (IIR) or complex memory dependent algorithms like compressors and such that never return to zero in certain cases. Even if not audio, they depend on a running I/O. If we see a potential for optimization, we exploit it of course.
Great to hear that. I was mainly thinking of the potential where a template has TDR processors on every track, but some tracks get absolutely zero use and so the effects could be safely disabled. I wasn't thinking of ongoing off and on switching behavior.

FabienTDR wrote:we're late, I know :oops:
Better late then never.
Great tools!

Hello.
Could somebody explain how does Leveler type compressor works in Liniter 6? Info from the manual is a bit vague.
Thank you.

Return to “Effects”