Soundtoys sale (which of the "littles"?)

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic

Which of the littles?!

Poll ended at Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:27 pm

Little Radiator
No votes
Little PrimalTap
40%
Devil-Loc
20%
Little Microshift
40%

Total votes: 5

RELATED
PRODUCTS
Devil-Loc Little PrimalTap

Ok, so I can't resist a bargain. I have a big love/hate relationship with it - I love the companies when they give away their stuff for relatively nothing (relative to the RRP), but I hate the temptation to just line my plugin drawer with more and more gear (not uncommon here, let's face it). I mostly hate Waves for their ridiculous sales (95% off isn't unheard of!), but when I look at my VST folder, and consider the potential cost, it does make me smile.....and think a bit harder about which plugin I'm going to use on this channel. But I digress.....

Soundtoys! Generous folks, slashing their prices for this week. I don't have a lot of money, so I'm looking at the "Little" series, currently at $19. They did a flash sale of PanMan at $29 - left that one to the side, as I'm not sold on an autopanner. Anyway, I'm not sure which one to go for, as they are kinda duplicates of other plugs I have:
  • Little Radiator - Waves REDD/izoTope Trash2
  • Little PrimalTap - Soundtoys Echoboy Jr
  • Devil-Loc - Audio Damage Roughrider/SKNote Disto
  • Little Microshift - Nothing
Smart money is on Little Microshift, but I produce EDM (for want of another phrase), with no original vocals, so I'm not sure a harmoniser is that useful? It seems a bit weird to describe Little PrimalTap as already covered by Echoboy Jr, I know it's a digital delay instead of an analog/tape delay, but in practice it would be the same. I mean, I wouldn't use it as a clean delay, and once degraded Echoboy can provide? Taking Little Radiator as purely a plugin to saturate/distort, it may have it's own flavour/colour, but I've got more than a few things that could cover this base at a pinch (I'm also in the market for Klenghelm SDRR, one day)

Edit: GOD DAMN IT!!!
Now there’s a flash sale on the full version of PrimalTap - $29.

I would get PrimalTap. It has a particular character, different from any other delay, and can be used also to overdrive things and give them a particular edge (I had a lot of fun a few years ago overdriving some drum machine sounds through Little PrimalTap). I don't know if you can get a similar overdrive sound with REDD or Trash2 (I never used those), but PrimalTap is a cool plugin in my opinion, even though it's not a tool I use often (I usually prefer using an analog style delay).

Little Microshift is not just for vocals, it's useful also for other sounds, it can be used to make pretty much anytyhing wider (just keep it away from the bass / low end). For example, I think it's nice on an electric piano (and maybe it sounds good also on pads). For some reasons, I usually think at (Little) Microshift more as a chorus-like effect than an harmonizer, though. Anyway, I was more keen on this effect in the past than nowadays (I'm more likely to use a good chorus or an Eventide Harmonizer plugin/algorithm on the H9 than a Micro Pitch Shift algorithm... just my own taste of course...).

Just my 2 cents.
free multisamples (last upd: 22th May 2021).
-------------------------
I vote with my wallet.

Devil-Loc makes everything sound better. Everyone always asks what the best amp sim is, and the answer is all of them, if you drop Devil-Loc before it.
If every KVR member wrote one review a year we'd have 1340 reviews each day!

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”