Stagecraft Software Loop Lab (vst looper)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Loop Lab

So, I bought this for $20 and think its pretty neat.

Anyway, as far as loopers go, its pretty similar to the one in Ableton Live, although
not as sophisticated in regard to playback. Sadly, it only seems to be able to play
loops in one direction, forward (the "glitch machine" effect can reverse it).
Although, loops can have different transport modes, tempo, speed and pitch settings.

It also has (all?) or at least most of the general "Stagecraft" effects built in, eg.
delay, glitch, reverb, bit reduction etc, and they can be assigned independently for
each loop. You can use the built in automation to modulate everything from playback
to recording.

It uses the same funky (not in a bad way IMHO) UI as the rest of the SC plugins.
IME, the UI's are unconventional, but work fine once you figure them out.
You'll have to figure them out, because they have no manuals AFAICT.

If you like loopers, (and I know you do), you might check it out while its still on sale.
Apparently, SC was giving it away for a bit, but I believe that's' ended.

Here is a pic of it running 16 loops at the same time, all at different tempo and pitch,
with a global modulator on the speed. Most with their own effects. Just to give you
an idea of what it can do. I believe I recorded the big ones to 8 bars.

*I don't know the maximum number of loops as yet, I just stopped at 16.

-Cheers

http://www.stagecraftsoftware.com/products/looplab/

Stagecraft software is ridiculously unreliable/unstable, good for you if it works for you, when they do they are very good.
Duh

Mostly, I would tend to agree, but IME they are just extremely sensitive
to being used correctly. Once you figure them out, the stability is good.
Unfortunately, they are not particularly intuitive. And are not very
good in the way of error handling it seems.

For instance, in the looper, if you try to use the automation as you would think it should work,
it will likely crash. If you use it in the right context, eg use the automation dialog
specific to the thing your working on, its fine. I've seen this kind of thing across the board with their stuff.

Anyway, its a helluva looper for 20 bucks, and fine once you figure it out.
Their stuff is good, but lacking in some fundamental software development areas,
no doubt. Make of that, what you will.

I'm just happy to have a nice looper, and was willing(stubborn) to take some time to figure out
the work flow it expects. And it did take some time, and a fair amount of crashing. The above opinion is what I was left with.

*This is a Frankensteined, monster looping machine, its temperamental and not
for the squeamish.

YMMV...

Stagecraft stuff has bugs that, for me, make them useless. It's a shame as I've heard some people say they're very good.

I'm not gonna argue with people about it, but I'd say if it will run for you at all,
you're probably good to go. A lot of things appear to be bugs, but are really just
inexplicable design decisions. Things like parameters that appear not to work
at all, while in fact they do. They just don't tell you anywhere, that they can only
be altered via modulation, context levels that are not readily apparent, etc.

*shrugs...

it crashes stick anleton on a stock OS x install instantly. both the AU and the VST. silly.

*stock

Out of curiosity, did you guys try to run the standalone version?

For Windows its installed at: C:\Program Files\Stagecraft Software\SC Loop Lab.exe

Dunno about mac, there should be one probably...

No doubt, hes drawing the UI with OpenGL, anything preventing it from
even running is probably graphics related.

Quick question. I wrote the developer and never heard back, but is there any way to do quantize loop start and end with momentary CC messages? It seems to work only if I hold down the pedal from my FCB1010. For overdubs too. I just don’t want to have to hold down a pedal the entire time I’m overdubbing.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote:Quick question. I wrote the developer and never heard back, but is there any way to do quantize loop start and end with momentary CC messages? It seems to work only if I hold down the pedal from my FCB1010. For overdubs too. I just don’t want to have to hold down a pedal the entire time I’m overdubbing.
I'm afraid I don't know. Aaron will get back to you at some point. He takes
a while typically, but he will respond IME...

I love this thread!

Per the immediate question, IIRC the FCB1010 is pretty programmable, and it sounds as though you might have it set up as momentary instead of latching. At least, as long as a touch on the button sends midi on and off (on release) you shouldn't need to hold it down. So take a look at that. In the past I've written something to "auto-latch" midi signals, but that's not exposed/public yet. Maybe in the future.

Re: openGL - yes, all Stagecraft Plugins use openGL for rendering, and the majority of crashes we get are on windows and related to openGL cards. Most users have reported good reults when updating video drivers to the latest for their cards, but not in all cases.

Re: manuals and stuff - I've had ongoing contracts keeping me busy for the last couple years, but since I am now a free man I'll be spending a LOT more time on videos / documentation / new plugins / etc. So, soon I hope ;)
Aaron Leese
-= Stagecraft software =-

Hey Aaron!

Looking forward to it. :tu:

bungle wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:37 am Stagecraft software is ridiculously unreliable/unstable, good for you if it works for you, when they do they are very good.
Exactly. The developer is a really nice guy and will do his best to help with any issues, but the software isn't reliable in my experience. I got the scratch track vst and while the idea is fantastic, it just never works like it should. Consequently, I use Mixxx to add any DVS scratches and record them to wav, then import to my DAW. It adds an extra step, but still works faster as it will actually work.

I remember demoing the plugin last year and had some problems with crashing in Blue Cat's Patchwork. Can't remember whether or not I used it in Reaper. The standalone app also had stability issues for me (Win 10 x64).

Return to “Effects”