Alternative to Hive

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Hive 2

chk071 wrote:Yeah, you have all the synthesis option on one page. But only because there are so few of those. :P Of course, if that's your thing, and Retrologue's sound is also, it is a good option.
Why not get Repro-1 ?

u-he has promised that the upgrade to repro-5 will be free for Repro-1 users

I thought the OP wanted something similar to Hive, feature wise.

chk071 wrote: You know, that tabbing thing is a really pointless requirement... Retrologue 2 has 3 pages you'll have to browse, to operate the arpeggiator, and to operate the fx section. ANY reasonably featured synth will require tabbing and pages, even Hive has different tabs, if you will, for arp and sequencer, and the fx, in th middle section, and for the keys, and mod matrix 1 & 2 in the lower section. I'd rather suggest getting over the requirement that it has to be all operable on one page. Any of the more popular synths have a good enough interface to get down and dirty.
Pointless for you maybe... not for me... I love GUI's which minimize tabbing. Many of the sounds I make in Hive need no tabbing at all. Just leave it on FX and 1 Mod Matrix tab is enough for most sounds.

Besides minimal tabbing, Hive also has the drag-n-drop modulation, including for FX. The drag-n-drop modulation also really benefits from minimal tabbing.

chk071 wrote:I thought the OP wanted something similar to Hive, feature wise.
And I thought the OP wanted a solid sounding subtractive synth :wink:

Somewhat back on topic... I own Hive, Zebra2, Sylenth1, Synthmaster, Spire, and a number of others. All of these synths have a different sound. So I cannot definitively say use X one over the others.

That said, I've been able to recreate some Sylenth patches 1:1 in Zebra2. But I cannot, for certain, say I could recreate ALL Sylenth patches in it... different architecture and design even if I matched the arch in zebra2. For instance, the stereo spread is different as is the detuning of multiple voices between these synths.

Best option, I think, is to layer. I might use 3 or 4 lines on bass alone consisting of 2 or more different synths. If you let each line fill a slightly different part of the space, it won't get murky or mushy.
Last edited by VitaminD on Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Numanoid wrote:
chk071 wrote:I thought the OP wanted something similar to Hive, feature wise.
And I thought the OP wanted a solid sounding subtractive synth :wink:
Fair enough, but, he added
Is there another "Hive" but not from u-he?
Beside Sylenth1 and Synthmaster One. I have a gripe with either one.
So, i was under the impression that he looks for a bit more than something like RePro. Anyway, either way, i don't think the thing he looks for exists. So, rather time to tune down the expectations, and take a look at what is available. I'd choose either Spire or Sylenth1. But, tastes differ.

Feature wise I would think Synthmaster One would be a perfect match, but that is a wavetable synth and not subtractive, so no match.

I hope Urs will add basic wavetable synthesis, basic FM and waveshaping, and LFO delay (when the lfo starts gradually) to Hive. It would be a further success. It should be easy, but powerful enough. But still not reach the complexity of Zebra.

Numanoid wrote:Feature wise I would think Synthmaster One would be a perfect match, but that is a wavetable synth and not subtractive, so no match.
it IS a subtractive synth with the possibility of using wavetables. And to be fair, it should fit his needs the most.

Igro wrote:
Numanoid wrote:Feature wise I would think Synthmaster One would be a perfect match, but that is a wavetable synth and not subtractive, so no match.
it IS a subtractive synth with the possibility of using wavetables. And to be fair, it should fit his needs the most.
OK, then that should be a very good choice.

The dev is selling it as a wavetable synth first and foremost, that is why I made my comment
SynthMaster One is an easy to use wavetable synthesizer with an intuitive workflow. Although it shares the same engine with its bigger brother SynthMaster, it comes with new features like wavetable synthesis. With its simple layout, rich wavetable/waveform content and inspiring factory presets library, designing new sounds with SynthMaster One is very easy.
No mention at all up front about Subtractive abilities

good suggestion...

Тhe most successful synths will be the synths that combine the simplicity and versatility. So the perfect balance must be found.

Numanoid wrote:
SynthMaster One is an easy to use wavetable synthesizer with an intuitive workflow. Although it shares the same engine with its bigger brother SynthMaster, it comes with new features like wavetable synthesis. With its simple layout, rich wavetable/waveform content and inspiring factory presets library, designing new sounds with SynthMaster One is very easy.
No mention at all up front about Subtractive abilities
The signal chain of the typical wavetable synth is still the same, or very similar, to a subtractive synth. Therefore I guess you can say that most wavetable synths are subtractive.
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

wagtunes wrote:
Examigan wrote:
wagtunes wrote: I bought the synth. So I have EVERY right to critique it.
OK but you didn't have to buy it. You could have just tried the demo.
I bought it for business reasons. Not for personal use.
Your website says it is incredible..

Examigan wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
Examigan wrote:
wagtunes wrote: I bought the synth. So I have EVERY right to critique it.
OK but you didn't have to buy it. You could have just tried the demo.
I bought it for business reasons. Not for personal use.
Your website says it is incredible..
Yeah because saying "I got this library for this really awful synth" is good business sense.

You guys have been told by Hink to stop.

I suggest you do so NOW.

Return to “Instruments”