is Fabfilter Pro Q2 the best EQ?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Equalize EQuick EQuilibrium Pro-Q 3

i love EQ2 from IL, the stock plugin, but missing to SOLO bands (which is so awesome to really eq better!) and very steep slopes i am eyeing to this fabfilter plugin.

- how is the sound? is it more transparent thatn EQ2?
- how hard is it on CPU? i use in a project about 10-15 EQ2 instances without any probs
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

There is a lot of love for Pro-Q2. It adds a little bit of saturation to the signal IIRC. But it does sound awsome and the GUI is stellar. Definetly one on top of the most used EQs. In the same league you can also check out DMG Equality personnally I prefer MautodynamicEQ from Melda because it's a huge toolset into one plugin. But I would use any of the other 2 with pleasure if I was stucked with them !
MXLinux21, 16 Gig RAM, Intel i7 Quad 3.9, Reaper 6.42, Behringer 204HD or Win7 Steinberg MR816x

I been using EQ2 a lot in the past. After using and testing a lot of different EQ's I finally bought Fab Pro Q2. The sound is transparent but I didn't reflect if it is more or less transparent than EQ2. All I can say is that Pro Q2 is transparent. It is very light on the CPU and I normally use Pro Q2 on every track and also on the mix bus.

If I remember correctly Fabfilter will give you a time limited demo, so it works in full for a limited time. File size is not too large either. Get the demo, make a copy of an old project you have and replace EQ2 with Pro Q2.
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

If I had that much for one EQ I would just buy the Voxengo Membership and get ALL of their EQs. They are excellent and all different.
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

If you’re just talking about parametric EQs with a spectrum analyzer, my vote goes to Equilibrium. I like Fabfilter plugins, but I don’t think Pro-Q sounds as good, and Equilibrium has more features.
You are currently reading my signature.

To me FF ProQ2 is the best Plugin for transparent EQing. Not only its features & ui are incredible it speeds up the workflow too. FabFilter has been working on it for years and their are still willing to update, bring new features and optimize it for highest quality usage.

Yes, it is the best eq for non-analoguish work.
Sound, gui, workflow, feature...etc.
spectrum grab feature is game changer for me.

edit: i also have equilibrium.
Last edited by nicksohn on Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

ATS wrote:If I had that much for one EQ I would just buy the Voxengo Membership and get ALL of their EQs. They are excellent and all different.
Agree that Voxengo EQs are definitely worth a look, though they have less bells and whistles individually. I asked Aleksey and the filters in the latest version of GlissEQ got an update over version two (cleaner and less `resonant` when you compare side by side ). Apparently shares the same ones as Prime EQ.

Thx so much !
I learned just now about dmg audio equilibrium. Now i needa check pro q2 vs equilibrium ;)
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

NewFangled Audio released Equivocate a few weeks ago. It was free until Oct 31, but is now $99. It allows for up to 26 bands and allows soloing of those individual bands. I haven't had much time to play with it yet, so I don't have any useful info to give you.

Another vote for Equilibrium. I also use Pro Q2, and love its cloning feature, but I prefer Equilibrium for everything else.
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

ProQ-2 for sure is my goto EQ. Just unbeatable.

I've been a big fan of apqualizr 2 (http://apulsoft.ch/apqualizr2/).

However if you wanna follow along in the next month on my blog I'll be exploring specifically this topic more in depth. (http://admiralbumblebee.com/music/2017/ ... ducts.html)

I have 3 main EQs: Eiosis airEQ, Pro Q2 and Equilibrium. I use airEQ most of the time because it has a basic interface, workflow features that allow me to quickly between "mental models" and a really nice sweet sound. It's filters are very versatile. But when I want a slick UI/workflow, great sound and precision, I use Pro Q2. Pro Q2 offers more versatility over airEQ as well without requiring a lot of extra effort. When I want or need more vesatility, some kinds of curves I can't get with the other two or precise technical control usually around phase response, I use Equilibrium. I wouldn't want to use any of these EQs exclusively but together they provide a great range of features and sound, tending to sweeness and transparency. But for colour these EQs are not the best choice and so I have a host of other EQs for colour and dirt.

In short, no, Pro Q2 is not the best EQ. if I had to choose between the 3 I mentioned, I'd choose airEQ, first. And then Equilibrium and then Pro Q2. airEQ just sounds that much better and its worth the lack of features because it pretty much has everything I need.

You couldn't possibly regret having Pro-Q2.

Return to “Effects”