VK-1 Viking Synthesizer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So what do you guys think? It's pay what you think it's worth.

http://blamsoft.com/vst/vk-1-viking-synthesizer/

Never tried it but looks like this tries to emulate the Moog Minimoog Voyager or is at least inspired by it.

Here are pictures of Minimoog Voyager RME and Viking VK-1:

Last edited by Ingonator on Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Ingonator wrote:Never tried it but looks like this tries to emulate the Moog Minimoog Voyager or is at least inspired by it.
Well, I'm currently listening to the demos and, to my ears anyway, it sounds excellent.

Maybe somebody with more critical listening skills will chime in.

As a mono synth goes, looks like a no brainer to me, especially at this price.

I'm not impressed at all, YMMV!

ghettosynth wrote:I'm not impressed at all, YMMV!
Okay, I trust your ears. What exactly doesn't impress you? Do you hear problems in the filtering, oscillators, something else?

Just curious.

How old is that thing even? There is a KVR thread from 2012 on the rack extension version of it...
If it were any good, it would not be virtually unknown 8)

macOS 10.12 or newer
why do developers insist on doing this?

my friend uses expanse(reason) form them and he says the filters are a bit odd to listen to that the regular filter from other devs dont know about the synth you mentioned
Win 10 x64 with specs enough to run DAW without bouncing any track
KZ IEM,32-bit 384Khz dac running at 32bit 48Khz
mainly use REAPER, MTotalbundle, Unfiltered Audio TRIAD and LION, NI classic collection,......... ETC

wagtunes wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:I'm not impressed at all, YMMV!
Okay, I trust your ears. What exactly doesn't impress you? Do you hear problems in the filtering, oscillators, something else?

Just curious.

It sounds like outdated filter to me. They tout oversampling, which is fine, but not a solution that's sufficient anymore. I see no point in this type of emulation. It's an emulation of a synth that is a remodel of a classic but where there are subtle differences in the circuitry owing to modernization but then they only superficially model the hardware.

It's three oscillators into an average by today's standard ladder filter, what's the point?

fluffy_little_something wrote:How old is that thing even? There is a KVR thread from 2012 on the rack extension version of it...
It's pretty well known to the Reason community. I'm not the right person to ask about sound though, I just think it sounds great, and I can't hear any flaws in filters, oscillators and so on.
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

starflakeprj wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:How old is that thing even? There is a KVR thread from 2012 on the rack extension version of it...
It's pretty well known to the Reason community. I'm not the right person to ask about sound though, I just think it sounds great, and I can't hear any flaws in filters, oscillators and so on.
Ah sorry, I am not part of the breast implant community, so I did not know it 8)

This is old in RE land...and there’s a newer RE version...

http://blamsoft.com/rack-extensions/vk- ... nthesizer/

That said, can’t beat pay what you want :)

I know it from iOS and it´s O.K. but nothing against the more modern emulations or synths we have all. I even would prefer DRC (oh, i really love it) much more.

U-He Diva in the Minimoog Osc module seems to include some of the advanced features in Minimoog Voyager (on which VK-1 seems to be based on) like e.g. morphable waveforms and Osc Sync.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Tough crowd. :)

Free VST, with no strings attached (granted it's pay what you want).

Sign me up.

I'll try it and if I like it I'll pay for it. I think this is a great way to introduce their product line into the VST ecosystem; presuming they intend to gauge interest for further product conversions from REs to VST?

Merry Christmas KVR

Return to “Instruments”