Wave Alchemy Evolution

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

One more upload... The cymbal/shaker/hi-hat at the very beginning of this track I just made is all layers of acoustic and electronic Evolution layers. It's so beautiful and perfect sounding to me. Even though these are samples of instruments I've never even seen, I feel like this software is so flexible I was able to craft the exact sound I imagined with these recordings, layered and manipulated as if I was making it from scratch. That's what I love about Evolution, I can make it my own. but I still need Revolutuion for that classic sound. I basically use them both together now every time I start a track.

https://soundcloud.com/spacecampsf/mortal-1

anderson303 wrote:One more upload... The cymbal/shaker/hi-hat at the very beginning of this track I just made is all layers of acoustic and electronic Evolution layers. It's so beautiful and perfect sounding to me. Even though these are samples of instruments I've never even seen, I feel like this software is so flexible I was able to craft the exact sound I imagined with these recordings, layered and manipulated as if I was making it from scratch. That's what I love about Evolution, I can make it my own. but I still need Revolutuion for that classic sound. I basically use them both together now every time I start a track.

https://soundcloud.com/spacecampsf/mortal-1
Thanks for the support and nice words about Evolution.

Thank you also for sharing the music you have made with Evolution. Very cool sounding production, and interesting use of drums / layering :tu:
http://www.wavealchemy.co.uk

Specializing in the development of forward-thinking virtual instruments and sample libraries.

Famousbyfive wrote: For example, I have loaded a preset and I am using channels 1-4. Channel 5 is currently a clap with a load of parameters tweaked on it. I want an open hat on channel 5 but when I load it, it still has all the parameters altered and doesn't sound anything like an open hat. Is there any way to change all of the parameters for channel 5 to default so when I can quickly flick through the open hats without having to navigate a few different screens to get the sound back to "normal"?
Regarding the above, we want to start collecting such feedback for future development ideas, and I was wondering what other controls you (or others) would feel important to have such functionality? Or anything else you'd like to see adding functionality wise to make the experience even slicker? :D

Any feedback from Evolution users is welcome, as we want to continue developing this over time, to give the best user experience possible. We also look forward to sharing the 1.1 update with Push integration, more layering options, module version, lite version and more!

Specializing in the development of forward-thinking virtual instruments and sample libraries.

P.S. here is a short video running through 30 of Evolution's 400+ presets, in case anyone is interested in listening :D

https://youtu.be/bhQU4fBfEGs

Hi Wave Alchemy, when can we expect the polyrhythms update?
Love Evolution!

I'm really enjoying Evolution. Thanks for a great product WA! Just wondering if it would be possible to implement a feature that nudges hits of the grid slightly? Or perhaps the ability to turn off the grid for inputting notes sometimes?

Also, it would be cool if you could record your own automation gestures in the FX sequencer (similar to how Maschine records automation).

Currently I'm using Evolution inside of Maschine because of its more fully featured sequencer. It would be nice if I could do everything with Evolution and not need to bother housing it in Maschine. If the sequencer gets polyrhythms and the ability to go off the grid, there would be no reason for me to use any other drum machine. The sounds and sculpting features are better than anything else out there imo.

sazb30 wrote:I'm really enjoying Evolution. Thanks for a great product WA! Just wondering if it would be possible to implement a feature that nudges hits of the grid slightly? Or perhaps the ability to turn off the grid for inputting notes sometimes?

Also, it would be cool if you could record your own automation gestures in the FX sequencer (similar to how Maschine records automation).

Currently I'm using Evolution inside of Maschine because of its more fully featured sequencer. It would be nice if I could do everything with Evolution and not need to bother housing it in Maschine. If the sequencer gets polyrhythms and the ability to go off the grid, there would be no reason for me to use any other drum machine. The sounds and sculpting features are better than anything else out there imo.
It's great to hear that you are enjoying Evolution!

Regarding nudging sounds off grid, this is kind of already possible using the slop control per step at the top of the sequencer. You can click and drag those numbers up/down to offset the steps from the grid, per step. You can also use the 'Start/Offset' knob on the voice page of Evolution to introduce up to 50ms of offset to each individual sound.

You can also record automation into the sequencer too. Simply press the record button in Evolution and then turn any of the 8 macros knobs (on XY Pad Page) on any of the 12 drum pages and that will be recorded as automation in the FX sequencer :)

Poly Rhythm is in the works, and we are hoping to have this out this quarter :tu:

One thing I'm missing so far is the possibility to split individual notes into smaller parts, so you can get those machine gun like effects (which is nice in moderation with closed hihats). I hope I'm making sense. It's quite common in drum sequencers nowadays. See for example Geist 2.

Is this indeed not possible and is it something that might be added in an update?

Otherwise, really lovely plugin, this. My new favorite for drums.

wave alchemy wrote:
sazb30 wrote:I'm really enjoying Evolution. Thanks for a great product WA! Just wondering if it would be possible to implement a feature that nudges hits of the grid slightly? Or perhaps the ability to turn off the grid for inputting notes sometimes?

It's great to hear that you are enjoying Evolution!

Regarding nudging sounds off grid, this is kind of already possible using the slop control per step at the top of the sequencer. You can click and drag those numbers up/down to offset the steps from the grid, per step. You can also use the 'Start/Offset' knob on the voice page of Evolution to introduce up to 50ms of offset to each individual sound.

You can also record automation into the sequencer too. Simply press the record button in Evolution and then turn any of the 8 macros knobs (on XY Pad Page) on any of the 12 drum pages and that will be recorded as automation in the FX sequencer :)

Poly Rhythm is in the works, and we are hoping to have this out this quarter :tu:
That great, thank you Wave Alchemy!! I didn't know that macro movements could be recorded directly. Cool!

Can I just clarify about the slop control... am I right in thinking that it applies to every drum voice that happens to be on that step? Say I want to nudge my hats off the grid slightly but don't want any other sounds to be affected.. I don't think that's possible is it?

I've been playing with the demo.
Sounds really good; a nice piece of soft -and soundware.
The possibilities to edit the sounds are quite impressive.

I have a few remarks though:

* Typically the concept of instruments, kits and patterns are used. Typically these can be changed independently.
E.g. in Beatbox Anthology 2 you can keep the current pattern and change the kit. Or keep the kit and change the pattern.
I don't find this possibility here. No possibility to save a kit?
Also the concept of an instrument seems lacking? At least in the demo, I can change the 'sample' for an individual layer/engine but there are no presets for the instrument/3 layers as a whole?

* I like the overview in the sequencer. A few things are missing though compared to e.g. beatbox anthology 2 and Tremor.
- insert a preset sequence in a row (say standard 4 on the floor sequence for the bassdrum or a classic hihat pattern)
- insert an euclidian sequence in a row
- nudge a row, moving all the elements in that row (# slop control)
- poly rythm (is being adressed)

* I'd like to be sure that Evolution has enough sounds for genres like house, techno and bass and drum/jungle.
I saw a few nice examples in the video of the 30 presets but would certainly be interested in more examples.
Woodblocks, cowbells, mellow toms are all very nice but these softer sounds are not my interest.
The shaper is nice for roughing up sounds.

* Inserting a non-percussion sound like a synth sound or a vocal sample can also be a nice thing to include in a pattern. Is there a decent amount of these sounds included? (as you cannot add samples yourself)
Last edited by Stefken on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sazb30 wrote:Can I just clarify about the slop control... am I right in thinking that it applies to every drum voice that happens to be on that step? Say I want to nudge my hats off the grid slightly but don't want any other sounds to be affected.. I don't think that's possible is it?
It currently happens to every voice APART from channel 1. So you can for example put your kick on channel 1 and then any slop amount won't affect the kick, but will the other voices :tu:

However, we can look into the possibility of potentially adding this per voice in a future update.

Stefken wrote:I've playing with the demo.
Sounds really good; a nice piece of soft -and soundware.
The possibilities to edit the sounds are quite impressive.

I have a few remarks though:

* Typically the concept of instruments, kits and patterns are used. Typically these can be changed independently.
E.g. in Beatbox Anthology 2 you can keep the current pattern and change the kit. Or keep the kit and change the pattern.
I don't find this possibility here. No possibility to save a kit?
Also the concept of an instrument seems lacking? At least in the demo, I can change the 'sample' for an individual layer/engine but there are no presets for the instrument/3 layers as a whole?

* I like the overview in the sequencer. A few things are missing though compared to e.g. beatbox anthology 2 and Tremor.
- insert a preset sequence in a row (say standard 4 on the floor sequence for the bassdrum or a classic hihat pattern)
- insert an euclidian sequence in a row
- nudge a row, moving all the elements in that row (# slop control)
- poly rythm (is being adressed)

* I'm in doubt whether Evolution has enough sounds for genres like house, techno and bass and drum/jungle.
I saw a few nice examples in the video of the 30 presets but would certainly be interested in more examples.
Woodblocks, cowbells are all very nice but these softer sounds are not my interest.
The shaper is nice for roughing up sounds.

* Inserting a non-percussion sound like a synth sound or a vocal sample can also be a nice thing to include in a pattern. Is there a decent amount of these sounds included? (as you cannot add samples yourself)
Thanks for the positive feedback and requests / suggestions!

I will respond to your points below:

1. Firstly, saving kits is certainly possible in Evolution, and used Kontakt's snapshot system for quick and easy recall:

*Ensure that the ‘Camera’ icon is selected in the Header of Kontakt
*Click the ‘Save’ icon, and enter a name for the Preset / Snapshot.
*User Presets can be recalled and loaded at any time from the drop-down Snapshot menu.

2. Regarding keeping a kit and changing a pattern - The reason this is not currently available is because any sound can be loaded onto any channel in Evolution (modular in that respect). We could easily add this feature, but because Evolution is modular in this respect, loading a kit and then changing a pattern would result in the pattern sounding strange in some cases - as the Bass drum may be on a different voice / channel as the previous preset (if that makes sense?)

Having said this, Evolution 1.1 update will include a separate smart sequencer preset browser that is independent from the kit presets - which will cover your request :D

3. The full version of Evolution actually comes with over 1700 presets across 4 separate instruments. Evolution full also includes separate individual instruments for Analogue tape versions - tons of variety and a huge amount of presets designed by great sound designers, covering multiple genres and styles.

4. Nudging a row in sequencer. Evolution has this already, but currently it is applied to all sequencer lanes except lane 1. We will be looking at adding this per lane at some point in the future :tu:

5. Evolution features almost 30,000 drum sounds, and covers enormous ground for genres such as Techno, Drum & Bass, House etc. I'd say electronic music and modern sounds is Evolution's strongest point in fact.

The Free Demo version of Evolution has some huge limitations in comparison to the full version, and includes only 800 sounds, from a small range of categories. The Free Demo version also has lots of other limitations, such as:

-Limited to just 800 Samples. (Full version boasts almost 30,00 thousand unique sounds and powerful sound design tools)

-Limited to just 2 high-quality custom Impulse Response reverbs. (Full version features 190)

-Limited to just 12 playable Drum Banks, which each of these featuring reduced sound content. (Full version features 188 Drum Banks, fully modular and each with multiple Analogue Tape versions)

-Drum Selector Drum Bank Buttons are fully disabled

-Limited to just one Preset. (Full version delivers 450 (1700+ including all instruments) beautifully crafted, forward-thinking presets covering all modern genres - designed by world-class sound designers

-Limited to just one Layer / Transient sound per Drum Channel. (Full version delivers thousands of unique and creative Layering Tools, Sound Design Tools, Transients and Prepared Acoustic sounds per Voice

-Visual waveforms for each sound are limited and not dynamic. (The full version’s visual waveforms are 100% dynamic and unique for every single sound.

6. Stuff like woodblocks etc are a extremely small part of Evolution (less than a couple of percent) - as mentioned above, the Demo features only 800 sounds, whilst the full version includes 30,000 sounds covering huge amounts of ground.

Take a listen to the below audio demo:

http://www.wavealchemy.co.uk/demos/evol ... t_demo.mp3

Each section of this demo was created using only one instance of Evolution, and no external programming. The entire demo showcases a very small amount of what is possible, utilizing around 800 sounds from Evolution's huge sound library. This should give you a better idea of what is possible in terms of certain genres.

To listen to Evolution in a song context, here is a song produced using one instance of Evolution - all drums from Evolution with no external processing:

http://www.wavealchemy.co.uk/demos/evol ... g_demo.mp3

Also, here are two more audio demos showcasing a few of Evolution's drums in Techno/House genres:

http://www.wavealchemy.co.uk/demos/evol ... _naked.mp3

http://www.wavealchemy.co.uk/demos/evol ... r_demo.mp3

wave alchemy wrote:Also, here are two more audio demos showcasing a few of Evolution's drums in Techno/House genres:

http://www.wavealchemy.co.uk/demos/evol ... _naked.mp3

http://www.wavealchemy.co.uk/demos/evol ... r_demo.mp3
:tu: I'm convinced. :)

Stefken wrote:
:tu: I'm convinced. :)
Enjoy Evolution :tu:

Return to “Instruments”