Compressors etc for my groups

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion
scottishraver
KVRist
252 posts since 17 Jul, 2008 from glasgow

Post Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:12 am

Looking for some glue type effects to try on my group channels ( drums / synths etc )

This is my shortlist


Density mk3
Ambience reverb
Stillwell audio Bombardier
TDR Kotelnikov
Jay bus glue bundle
Audio damage rough rider
Satson
SSL G-Master Buss Compressor

Was also looking at klanghelm stuff but not sure if these compressors will offer the glue I'm looking for
Any recommendations?

User avatar
Googly Smythe
KVRAF
2748 posts since 12 May, 2011 from Albion

Re: Compressors etc for my groups

Post Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:11 am

scottishraver wrote:Looking for some glue type effects to try on my group channels ( drums / synths etc )

This is my shortlist


Density mk3
Ambience reverb
Stillwell audio Bombardier
TDR Kotelnikov
Jay bus glue bundle
Audio damage rough rider
Satson
SSL G-Master Buss Compressor

Was also looking at klanghelm stuff but not sure if these compressors will offer the glue I'm looking for
Any recommendations?
DAW? OS? Genre? 32bit only or 64bit? Budget? Especially budget, as a good few items on your shortlist are freebies.

I wouldn't bother with Density or Ambience as neither are being developed anymore, they're their developers have moved on.

RoughRider is good for tracks, not for groups/buses. You need subtlety on a bus.

Bombadier is good.

The Kotelnikov is excellent.

Klanghelm MUJC is brilliant.

Klanghelm do SDDR, which may prove to be much more versatile than Satson - and I believe it's cheaper.

Valhalla reverbs are brilliant, too, either the Plate or VintageVerb.

SSL buss compressors abound. The most well regarded one is The Glue. Unless you're looking for an SSL channel, in which case I think you should look at the (pricey) Brainworx effort.

In the end you must demo them. Only you can decide if they're right for you.
Bandcamp - Soundcloud
What is life without a little whimsy?

scottishraver
KVRist
252 posts since 17 Jul, 2008 from glasgow

Re: Compressors etc for my groups

Post Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:35 am

I'm on ableton 64bit , windows 10 , genre house / melodic techno , budget under £100

Zexila
KVRAF
3194 posts since 18 Mar, 2008

Re: Compressors etc for my groups

Post Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:36 am

TDR Kotelnikov
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

User avatar
Vortifex
KVRAF
1746 posts since 1 Sep, 2016

Re: Compressors etc for my groups

Post Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:37 am

..
Last edited by Vortifex on Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
pattonfreak1
KVRAF
2903 posts since 15 Feb, 2007 from ...in the butt

Re: Compressors etc for my groups

Post Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:40 am

+1 for Bombadier

User avatar
Googly Smythe
KVRAF
2748 posts since 12 May, 2011 from Albion

Re: Compressors etc for my groups

Post Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:47 am

Zexila wrote:TDR Kotelnikov
If you go for this, try and get the Gentleman's Edition (40 euros) - it has a few extra tricks up it's sleeve.
Bandcamp - Soundcloud
What is life without a little whimsy?

User avatar
Boone777
KVRian
827 posts since 8 Aug, 2011

Re: Compressors etc for my groups

Post Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:50 am

Googly Smythe wrote:
scottishraver wrote:Looking for some glue type effects to try on my group channels ( drums / synths etc )

This is my shortlist


Density mk3
Ambience reverb
Stillwell audio Bombardier
TDR Kotelnikov
Jay bus glue bundle
Audio damage rough rider
Satson
SSL G-Master Buss Compressor

Was also looking at klanghelm stuff but not sure if these compressors will offer the glue I'm looking for
Any recommendations?
DAW? OS? Genre? 32bit only or 64bit? Budget? Especially budget, as a good few items on your shortlist are freebies.

I wouldn't bother with Density or Ambience as neither are being developed anymore, they're their developers have moved on.

RoughRider is good for tracks, not for groups/buses. You need subtlety on a bus.

Bombadier is good.

The Kotelnikov is excellent.

Klanghelm MUJC is brilliant.

Klanghelm do SDDR, which may prove to be much more versatile than Satson - and I believe it's cheaper.

Valhalla reverbs are brilliant, too, either the Plate or VintageVerb.

SSL buss compressors abound. The most well regarded one is The Glue. Unless you're looking for an SSL channel, in which case I think you should look at the (pricey) Brainworx effort.

In the end you must demo them. Only you can decide if they're right for you.
I think it's better on busses than individual tracks.

Rough Rider 2
Rough Rider 2 is a modern compressor with a bit of "vintage" style bite and a uniquely warm sound. Perfect for adding compression effects to your drum buss, it also sounds great with synth bass, clean guitar, and backing vocals. Definitely not an all-purpose compressor, Rough Rider 2 is at its best when used to add pump to rhythmic tracks.
Win 7, 64Bit, 16 Gig RAM, Intel i7 Quad 3.9, Reaper 5.965, Steinberg MR816x

heyheycnv
KVRist
100 posts since 13 Dec, 2016

Re: Compressors etc for my groups

Post Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:24 am

PSP Fetpressor is what I use the most for parallel drum bus compression. Its so good.

MJUC, TDR and Stillwell are all great choices too. DC8C is really good but personally I reach for a lot of other compressors first.

For glue also try Hornet Tape.

User avatar
Mister Natural
KVRAF
2453 posts since 28 Oct, 2007 from michigan

Re: Compressors etc for my groups

Post Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:09 am

I find Klanghelm DC8C to be very versatile & would be a great choice well within your budget
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

User avatar
thecontrolcentre
KVRAF
26668 posts since 27 Jul, 2005 from the wilds of wanny

Re: Compressors etc for my groups

Post Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:26 am

MJUC and SDDR2 are both excellent ... also The Glue (I use the Live version all the time).

Ah_Dziz
KVRAF
2829 posts since 2 Jul, 2005

Re: Compressors etc for my groups

Post Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:28 pm

Boone777 wrote:
Googly Smythe wrote:
scottishraver wrote:Looking for some glue type effects to try on my group channels ( drums / synths etc )

This is my shortlist


Density mk3
Ambience reverb
Stillwell audio Bombardier
TDR Kotelnikov
Jay bus glue bundle
Audio damage rough rider
Satson
SSL G-Master Buss Compressor

Was also looking at klanghelm stuff but not sure if these compressors will offer the glue I'm looking for
Any recommendations?
DAW? OS? Genre? 32bit only or 64bit? Budget? Especially budget, as a good few items on your shortlist are freebies.

I wouldn't bother with Density or Ambience as neither are being developed anymore, they're their developers have moved on.

RoughRider is good for tracks, not for groups/buses. You need subtlety on a bus.

Bombadier is good.

The Kotelnikov is excellent.

Klanghelm MUJC is brilliant.

Klanghelm do SDDR, which may prove to be much more versatile than Satson - and I believe it's cheaper.

Valhalla reverbs are brilliant, too, either the Plate or VintageVerb.

SSL buss compressors abound. The most well regarded one is The Glue. Unless you're looking for an SSL channel, in which case I think you should look at the (pricey) Brainworx effort.

In the end you must demo them. Only you can decide if they're right for you.
I think it's better on busses than individual tracks.

Rough Rider 2
Rough Rider 2 is a modern compressor with a bit of "vintage" style bite and a uniquely warm sound. Perfect for adding compression effects to your drum buss, it also sounds great with synth bass, clean guitar, and backing vocals. Definitely not an all-purpose compressor, Rough Rider 2 is at its best when used to add pump to rhythmic tracks.
I jam RR on busses all the time. It has an odd filter in the signal path (I'm guessing as part of it's distortion) that can get in the way, but is easily compensated for. Aside from that it's extremely versatile. I wish to hell he'd update (or acknowledge the existence of his website or anywhere else like the multiple emails I sent him :/) Rough Rider Pro. Both do the extreme "bizarrely overcompressed" thing quite well but can work wonders on a drum submix with the proper settings. If you see waves RVox on some kind of crazy sale it's great to smooth a couple DB off a submix. Honestly most of what you listed is fine and dandy. The Valhalla reverbs are amazing. I actually find VRoom to work best for "gluing". I seem to recall having bridging issues the last time I opened up an old project with density in it, but if it's stable on your system it's fantastic. I would also second looking at the toneboosters bundle (you get a few different processors that "glue" incredibly well) and past that the massive world of subtle saturation instead of compression and limiting.

Good luck
JJ
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

User avatar
FrankLaVerne
KVRist
198 posts since 30 Sep, 2015 from Germany

Re: Compressors etc for my groups

Post Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:24 pm

If I want some colour, I reach out for Klanghelm MJUC, which never fails to amaze me (in Mode 3). Basically, you get three compressors in one with that one.

For clean compression, I like to use TDR Kotelnikov. Sometimes I also use Toneboosters BussCompressor or Klanghelm DC8C, though these are sometimes a bit overwhelming and are not quite "set and forget" - but if you have some time and the manual at hand, they will provide you with a great sound and a lot of flexibility for a pretty low budget.

You might also want to check the built-in "The Glue" in Ableton if you didn't already.

simon.a.billington
KVRAF
1834 posts since 12 Nov, 2014

Re: Compressors etc for my groups

Post Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:28 am

Let’s not forget the API 2500, BSS DPR-402, VSC-2, Alpha Compressor, Neve 33609 and the TCL-2

User avatar
Googly Smythe
KVRAF
2748 posts since 12 May, 2011 from Albion

Re: Compressors etc for my groups

Post Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:23 am

simon.a.billington wrote:Let’s not forget the API 2500, BSS DPR-402, VSC-2, Alpha Compressor, Neve 33609 and the TCL-2
$100 £100 budget!
Bandcamp - Soundcloud
What is life without a little whimsy?

Return to “Effects”