Help with Phrases Beginning in the Middle of a Bar

Official support for: musicdevelopments.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

When I record a midi phrase with a keyboard, it often has a few pickup notes before the first bar, like this:

But when I go to edit it in the phrase editor, it looks like this:

That is, the phrase editor shows it starting on the first beat of the bar. Instead of where it should be starting, on the 4th beat! Which makes it very hard to edit, since the notes are not on the correct beat of the bar.

What I would like is for the notes to come up in the phrase editor on the correct beat, that is, in this case with three blank beats before them.

Or as a less desirable alternative, if I could extend the actual phrase to the left, putting three blank beats in front of it. That would be a nuisance, but I couldn't figure out how to do that.

Is this a bug, or are people happy with the way it works now?

Thanks for any help with this!

Tiger

Hi Tiger,

If the position of the phrase is important you can either edit the phrase in-place (press F2 for Note Editing mode), or insert 3 empty beats in the Phrase Editor (View Options: Insert One Beat Before First).

Thanks,
Attila
https://www.musicdevelopments.com
Home of RapidComposer, Melodya, MIDI Mutator and Syne
All software 40% off during the Anniversary Sale until April 29!

Attila,

F2 note editing mode is completely impractical for detailed work...you would have to minimize each track, and then expand the one track and I still don't think it would be clear.

I did insert the empty beats as you suggested. The option is well hidden, under View Options :)

Thanks
Tiger

There is a keyboard shortcut possibility and an item in the track inspector to quickly zoom in the selected track, so it is just one keypress:

It is possible to assign a keyboard shortcut for that. You can work really quickly when you don't have to resize tracks all the time:

The option is well hidden, under View Options
Yes, indeed, that is not a logical place for those menu items... :dog:

Thanks,
Attila

I am glad to know those zoom out/zoom all/zoom in options are there. I can see that being useful....

I am still not sure about Note Editing mode for me....maybe my eyesight :lol: ....I think I just need to get the colors and the contrasts right for me...something I haven't taken the time to do!

Are there saved user interface colors that anyone has made?

Tiger

There is only one, horsma posted in the User Interface Themes topic.
There are light color schemes in the menu under Settings / User Interface tab if you prefer that. Both "Windy 10" and "OS Y" are light.
You can set up "Shading by Note On velocity" color scheme also under Settings / User Interface:

And you can increase the font size which is better for your eyes...

Return to “MusicDevelopments”