Is it still worth buying Zebra2 (and The Dark Zebra)?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Very, very worth it. i bought Zebra last year and it effectively ended ten years of soft synth collecting, trying to find the right one. i really wish i had given it a fair shake sooner. The sound is fantastic, neither too analog or too digital (it sounds refreshingly modern), sits great in a mix with live instruments and has one of the best UI's i've ever come across. It's as simple or as complex as you make it. CPU hit is minimal, even with the 2.8 beta. i haven't seen the CPU spike JPTinAshland is seeing...at least on the majority of the patches. Zebra is a classic.

i bought the Dark Zebra but honestly don't use it that much since the beta came out. However, the presets are great. Very organic and useful in a lot of different applications, and a great learning tool to pick apart for someone like me who's still feeling their way around synthesis.

From my understanding the upgrade for owners of both Zebra2+ZebraHZ to Zebra3 is free. But i'm not holding my breath for Zebra3 when i can make astounding sounds with Zebra2 NOW.

I'm trying to make sounds with zebra, but I'm finding the VCFs to be somewhat "weak". Only filter I've found good is the XMF, but there are only few of those. I have a feeling those Diva filters on Dark Zebra are a very potent boost over normal VCFs of Zebra.

With the soundsets on sale, I might buy Dark Zebra/ZebraHZ but I cant seem to figure out what exactly it does over reg Zebra. Is this more of a soundset/reskin purchase rather than upgraded synth?

I know it adds mseg and mod matrix slots, but as a newcomer to production and zebra, I barely use 1 slot lol. Just wondering if it’s worth the purchase. It’s my one and only synth thus far but wanted to pick something up during sales. Was going to buy ANA2 (about same price) but saw this UHE sale so wondering if it’s a good deal.

It is both a soundset and a 'upgraded' synth, although I suspect urs wouldn't like the upgraded term .
It has everything Zebra does AND additional stuff Hans Zimmer requested (Mono Versions of Diva filters, 'Bus' Compressors, more Mods, Resonator et al).
Most importantly though for 69 Euros you will get Zebra3 upgrade for free whenever it is released.
That alone to me makes it an additional no brainer.
ymmv
rsp
Last edited by zvenx on Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sound sculptist

ZebraHZ also adds more filters (based on the Diva filters), per channel polyphonic compressors and a resonator effect.

Zebra3 is a completely different Synth and not compatible with Z2. OK.

My Question would be: will the Z2 survive as a different product, still be sold and get relevant Updates to keep it on running?

Or: does it still make sense to invest lots of time in Sound Design for Z2 or is it a slowly starving System?

GRUMP wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:34 am
Or: does it still make sense to invest lots of time in Sound Design for Z2 or is it a slowly starving System?
Well,it's not like it's going to blow up tommorow :wink:
No auto tune...

GRUMP wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:34 am Zebra3 is a completely different Synth and not compatible with Z2. OK.

My Question would be: will the Z2 survive as a different product, still be sold and get relevant Updates to keep it on running?

These are the things I remember Urs saying... take them with a grain of salt and do your due diligence

Zebra 3 is at least a year away...

Both 2 and 3 will work side by side and Zebra 2 will receive maintenance updates for at least a few years to keep it compatible with OS changes etc.

Zebra 3 will likely not have all of Zebra 2 features initially and it will not be preset compatible so lots of people will still be using Z2 after Z3 initially ships.

I also remember Urs making a statement about that. The announcement was probably too early because many thought there would be Zebra 3 soon. But that's not the case, maybe next year or later.
So... yes it makes sense to buy Zebra 2 now and then upgrade later.
I wouldn't wait for the future. If you want to have Zebra and have the money for it, buy it.

4damind wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:10 pm I also remember Urs making a statement about that. The announcement was probably too early because many thought there would be Zebra 3 soon. But that's not the case, maybe next year or later.
So... yes it makes sense to buy Zebra 2 now and then upgrade later.
I wouldn't wait for the future. If you want to have Zebra and have the money for it, buy it.
That´s damn right and I already tweak it - very intesively.

I also have also read something like "maintenance for some years", but that reply concerned HZ [...].

The problem is: I´m currently investing lots of time in Sound Design for commercial purpose and the Project is not about quick delivery... I just wonder if it would eventually be better to focus on an other System and I´m always interested in informations concenring this topic and my little Zebra.

Attached: a little MSEG "Electro" Beat (~90-100 BPM). I sometimes - seldom - don´t produce Pads and let my wicked Pony do what is wants to [...]. May not be used commercially!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

GRUMP wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:34 amOr: does it still make sense to invest lots of time in Sound Design for Z2 or is it a slowly starving System?
It always make sense to invest time in sound design....

What is the problem, to transfer sounds to a new synth?

P.S.: I bought Zebra 2 + HZ (NEW) in April this year....

Are you looking to sell patches? Is that the concern? If you're not sure, pick a more flavor of the month type synth with hot sales. I'd understand being reluctant spending six months programming Zebra 2 patches if version 3 comes out right after. Then again, maybe make some kick-ass patches to demonstrate your skills and try to get in the sound design team for U-he if they're taking people. Might get you in at the ground floor of Zebra 3 alpha/beta builds.

pdxindy wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:35 am Personally, I think it is ridiculous that u-he is going to charge only $30 for the upgrade. They should be charging $75-100 for the upgrade to Z3

...Zebra 3 is going to be epic!
I suspect that by developing products with code that can
be repurposed, a lot of the excellence in products released
after Zebra2 reached it's high pinacle, will be included
in Zebra 3, without charging extra for those man-hours
already used creating great and profitable products.

Honourable businesses run that way. Others will
maximize every chance to double and triple bill
their real costs by inflating the retail price just because
it's done quietly in some accountants hovel.

Zebra3 is already epic, wherever it now is on the timeline
to it's release date :hyper:

SiliconDeath wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:26 pm I'm trying to make sounds with zebra, but I'm finding the VCFs to be somewhat "weak". Only filter I've found good is the XMF, but there are only few of those. I have a feeling those Diva filters on Dark Zebra are a very potent boost over normal VCFs of Zebra.
The tyrell filter and mS 20 filters in zebra sounds pretty good to ( last three filters in the dropdown menu of the standard vcf module )
I think that the ms 20 filters are the only zdf filters in zebra ( not dark zebra )
IIRC the xmf filters are not zdf , but they are 2 times oversampled and capable of audio rate mod.
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

gentleclockdivider wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:57 am The tyrell filter and mS 20 filters in zebra sounds pretty good to ( last three filters in the dropdown menu of the standard vcf module )
IIRC, the manual says that the last three filter options were unintentionally included in Zebra. If so, neat.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

Return to “Instruments”