halion sonic 3 on sale - worth it?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
HALion 7 HALion Sonic 7 Collection

I have cubase 9.5 with halion sonic SE. I like romplers, so I'm wondering if the added sounds are worth it to update the cubase included SE version?

I don't need any deep samples instruments, I like the old school sounds more. Any experiance from someone who owns it?

Also, is is easy to use it in other sequencers too besides Cubase?

HALion Sonic is ok, but I'd get it's much bigger brother. HALion has so much more, it's hard to know where to begin. Deeper editing, for one thing. More layers per preset. More (32) instrument slots. And it's a "real" sampler.

Halion Sonic SE (the one that comes with Cubase) mostly uses sounds from the original Yamaha Motif. Very few instruments from the full version are included, and when they are it's usually just one velocity layer without articulations.

Basically, most of the Halion Sonic SE library is completely different from the full version.

A big part of the acoustic instrument library in the full version of Halion Sonic 3 is a mix of sounds from the Yamaha Motif XF and higher quality versions of sounds included with Hypersonic 2, with more samples, much more velocity layers and more articulations. Some of them were sampled by Wizoo but never used in any other VST plugin before. Of course they have been adding tons of new sounds too:
https://www.steinberg.net/en/products/v ... fects.html

The included synth engines are great.

Getting this plugin for just $124 is a really really good deal.

I think it is well worth the sale price.
Here is a review of it in SoundBytes Magazine:

http://soundbytesmag.net/review-halion- ... steinberg/

Most definitely worth it. Qualifies as a 'no-brainer'.

Agreed, If you like rompers and are a preset guy (like me) HS is well worth it. I considered upgrading to Halion, but while I can see it as so much more, it is not so much more that I would actually use.

Something worth mentioning. If you have H6, you have H3 and although you have to use the same dongle, you can place them on different machines.
i.e. I have both on my larger PC's of which I really only use H5/H6 but exclusively have just H2/H3 on my tablet for travel. This is one of the reasons I finally let go of the Korg Legacy Collection. So given that, the extra 50 is well worth it IMO.

I thought about it, but I found I have what covers about 90% and in a better way as well, otherwise it's a great rompler/synths collection.

So, for me it doesn't worth it. I better buy something that add to what I have from variety and quality, which I don't see HS3 would add much.

Halion 6 Is an interesting and complex sampler/synth/rompler if you like to go deep. It won't do it for me either as I sold Reaktor recently because I don't want such complexity.

BBFG# wrote:Something worth mentioning. If you have H6, you have H3 and although you have to use the same dongle, you can place them on different machines.
i.e. I have both on my larger PC's of which I really only use H5/H6 but exclusively have just H2/H3 on my tablet for travel. This is one of the reasons I finally let go of the Korg Legacy Collection. So given that, the extra 50 is well worth it IMO.
As the sample content in HS3 makes up the bulk of the disk space, what's the point? You might as well have H6 on both so the option to edit is there if you need it and you need to move the dongle between machines in either case.

H5/6 uses more CPU/RAM. H2/3 runs without issue on the smaller tablets.

Is anyone using Halion sonic 3 on windows 7?
I don't think it is officially supported

bill45 wrote:Is anyone using Halion sonic 3 on windows 7?
I have it installed on my Win 7 machine and use it without issue.

Just bought it in the sale, runs fine here on win 7 64 bit, standalone and in waveform 8.

So I just can use the occassion for a question myself :) :

- is there any way to import older halion fxp files into halion sonic 3 ?

I have tried drag and drop to the media bay but that dont work, it dont even recognize the format. I just realizend I got lots of halion fxp files with my precicionsound libraries I would really like to use in halion sonic 3.

After google search I suppose I would need full Halion for this, but maybe someone knows a workaround.

Another problem (while I am with it :-): in the library manager the homegrown sounds awakenings is shown but not in the halion sonic 3 mediabay, so maybe this is Halion full only too ?

To use old Halion 1/2/3 sounds and .fxps, you of course have to use Halion 6. It's possible to update these sounds using the new synth engine, effects and MIDI modules/scripts and then build a Halion Sonic (and/or HS SE) compatible library using Halion 6. Just don't forget to disable Halion 3 compatibility mode first.

Note that you cant make Halion Sonic versions of libraries that used protected HSB files. You can make updated Halion 6 presets using the samples (which you can distribute) but you wont be able to build a proper library.

Awakenings HAL by Homegrown Sounds could be made Halion Sonic compatible, but they'll need to update the library first. Consider contacting them.
bill45 wrote:Is anyone using Halion sonic 3 on windows 7?
It's officially supported now. I'm using both Halion 6 and Halion Sonic 3 on Windows 7, no stability issues.

Romantique Tp wrote:Halion Sonic SE (the one that comes with Cubase) mostly uses sounds from the original Yamaha Motif. Very few instruments from the full version are included, and when they are it's usually just one velocity layer without articulations.

Basically, most of the Halion Sonic SE library is completely different from the full version.

A big part of the acoustic instrument library in the full version of Halion Sonic 3 is a mix of sounds from the Yamaha Motif XF and higher quality versions of sounds included with Hypersonic 2, with more samples, much more velocity layers and more articulations. Some of them were sampled by Wizoo but never used in any other VST plugin before. Of course they have been adding tons of new sounds too:
https://www.steinberg.net/en/products/v ... fects.html

The included synth engines are great.

Getting this plugin for just $124 is a really really good deal.
Where did you find the info about Motif XF sounds? I have tested it and to me HS3 is nowhere near to Motif XF in terms of acoustic sounds. GUitars, strings, brass are old samples from Motif/MotifES.
Last edited by poshook on Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”