Best Convolution processor for creative purposes

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Altiverb Fog Convolver IQ-Series Reverb V2 MConvolutionMB Reverberate 3

Hi all:

I'd like to know what is, in your opinion, the best convolution processor for creative purposes (sample manipulation). I am not interested in reverberations or space emulations, but rather seek for the unusual landscapes one can get using convolution.
Last edited by fmr on Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando (FMR)

Since the results will depend more on the IRs used, I don't suppose it matters much which particular convolution plugin you are going to use. (Assuming you generate the IRs elsewhere.)

The Melda multiband one is probably the most flexible; there's no other multiband convolver Im aware of.

Apart from that, Reverberate and Fog Convolver for the inbuilt IR manipulation, and Trash2 for the combination of other processes (though it has a relatively short limit on the length of the IR compared to others, IIRC)
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote:The Melda multiband one is probably the most flexible; there's no other multiband convolver Im aware of.

Apart from that, Reverberate and Fog Convolver for the inbuilt IR manipulation, and Trash2 for the combination of other processes (though it has a relatively short limit on the length of the IR compared to others, IIRC)
I think this covers the main suspects. You could add Audioase Altiverb 7 for their great IR libs (if you have plenty to invest in), or Overoud/MoreVox ReMatrix.

Probably your DAW already has a convolution plugin built into it. It is more the IR that matters, than the convoler itself.
whyterabbyt wrote:The Melda multiband one is probably the most flexible; there's no other multiband convolver Im aware of.
For that purpose there are plugins like BlueCatAudio MB7 which are a great investment and not limited to a single purpose like convolution but process anything you want in multiband. Further more you can load any 3rd party plugin...

It's all in the IR's, not the convolution reverb itself. That's where your quest should begin first.

But if you’re asking which convolution reverb plugin comes with the best creative, experimental and non-room emulation IR’s, I suggest you to check Fog Convolver from AudioThing. It comes packed with many IR’s that are not meant to reproduce any rooms or anything natural. The plugin itself is also nice and very well done, very easy and fun to use. I own(ed) many convolution reverbs in the past years and this is my favorite one for experiments & creative convolution.

www.audiothing.net/effects/fog-convolver

Reverberate 2 offers a lot of space for experimentation, but it's a pricey one. Melda Multiband is interesting too, if you can live with the UI.

Altiverb is great as well as HOFA IQReverb. But I'd go with Fog Convolver from AudioThing or Reverberate. I agree the IRs are the most important thing here.

DPhil wrote:Probably your DAW already has a convolution plugin built into it. It is more the IR that matters, than the convoler itself.
For that purpose there are plugins like BlueCatAudio MB7 which are a great investment and not limited to a single purpose like convolution but process anything you want in multiband. Further more you can load any 3rd party plugin...
The Melda crossover does much, much more than simple frequency band splitting, and having the crossover built into the plugin makes the whole setup much more practical and doesn't suffer from processing overhead from multiple plugins (2 bands with a splitter plugin setup = 3 plugins).

Anyway, I do recommend checking out the Melda convolution, it has tons of other features which make it an excellent creative sound processor. It's one of my absolute favourite tools. Also very competitively priced.

Neon Breath wrote:It's all in the IR's, not the convolution reverb itself. That's where your quest should begin first.

But if you’re asking which convolution reverb plugin comes with the best creative, experimental and non-room emulation IR’s, I suggest you to check Fog Convolver from AudioThing. It comes packed with many IR’s that are not meant to reproduce any rooms or anything natural. The plugin itself is also nice and very well done, very easy and fun to use. I own(ed) many convolution reverbs in the past years and this is my favorite one for experiments & creative convolution.

http://www.audiothing.net/effects/fog-convolver
+1 for this or reverberate. And if you really need multiband (which I hardly doubt when using good IR's) there are plenty ways to achieve that (including modular fx, bca mb or the free multibandsplitter by RSMet). But don't pay for features you might use 1 time but never touch again...

Thanks for your suggestions guys. I think I will add Fog Convolver to my arsenal. I already have Melda Creative Bundle (which I think is great, BTW), which includes the MConvolution, which I agree it's great, but what I intend to use the convolution for is not using built-in "impulses" (but those are not excluded, of course), much less create reverberations or simmulated spaces (for that, I think that Altiverb is unsurpassed).

What I intend to do is pick a sample, and convolute it with another sample, or even more than one sample (I used to do this with Voxengo Pristine Space, but it is now abandoned and 32-bit only, which is a pity).

I have been following Fog Convolver, and, as I said, I will probabluy follow what seems to be the best advice here, so far.
But please, keep adding suggestions. Any opinions welcome, now that I precised my intentions a little more. Of course, MConvolver is also a great advice, but that I already have :wink:
Fernando (FMR)

Checked Liquidsonics Reverberate, and it seems great also. Have to check the demo. Thanks all for your suggestions so far.

EDIT: It looks and sounds great, but is pricey. Maybe on a next oportunity, when (if) they have a sale.
Last edited by fmr on Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote:Thanks for your suggestions guys. I think I will add Fog Convolver to my arsenal.
Can't go wrong with it! What I like the most is its workflow and easy on the eyes UI. Very quick to work with, the UI as been really well thought, drag and drop samples, etc. I find most of all the the convolution reverbs to be waaaay too bloated with busy UI's with controls and stuff I never use.

I like Fog Convolver's minimal and simple approach with essential controls only and that's it.

I love experimenting with IRs in Reverberate 2. Taking a synth line, converting to wav, reversing it, and using it as an IR for the original line. Sometimes it sounds like a pile of shit and sometimes it sounds like auditory bliss. Ha!

Also, there are some interesting free / cheap IR libraries out there for more than reverb. Frozen Plain, Westgate, etc.

Good luck!

Melda is probably the best for sound design. You can use 2 IRs in serial or in parallel or if you use the "disabled" crossover you could use 12 IRs at the same time, if your CPU doesn't blow up. If you haven't checked out the artifical IRs I'd take a look at them and all the things they can do. I did a video about reverse reverb using them a few months ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3f2os5M1VA

Here is a video with Noisia using it for interesting sound design.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FE5SKynR8QE

Return to “Effects”