Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
wagtunes
KVRAF

11747 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Postby wagtunes; Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:00 am The Wagtunes Corner

**WARNING** - Avoid this thread if you have no tolerance for bad music and vocals that sound like cats crying in the night. Otherwise, you have no one to blame for your suffering but you

These Songs Have So Far Been Posted Throughout This Thread
A Little At A Time
All For Christmas
All The Same
Amp It Up
Another Port In The Storm
Assimilation
Bananas Crackers And Nuts
Band Camp At Bingo Bob's
Blame It On The DJ
Bless Us All Everyone
Botany Bay
Bring On The Klingon
Brunton's Last Wish
Carbon Dating
Caught In The Crossfire
Climbing Statues
Cut Me To The Quick
Dancing With Davy Jones
Dare To Be Square
Dark Hearted Devil
Dark Room
Destiny Rides Again
Dirty Streets
Dran Draggore The Red Dragon
East Of Eden
Eat Bugs
Empty Promises
Evil Twin
Eye Of The Beholder
Funk Off
Gates Of Eternity
Get In The Groove
Give Me The Night
Glitch 7
Global Warming
God Come Save Me Now
Hang Me At Noon
Heart Attack
If I could Go Back (And Do It All Over Again)
If We Had Forever
In The Arms Of My Lord
In The End
Inside The Castle
Isotomic
Jay's Christmas
Kidding Me
Let's Make It
Lords Of The Bones
Magnetic Personality
Mannequin
Modern Talking
Musgrave Manor
My Girlfriend's Rack
Not My Jazz
Nuclear Fallout
Off To The Races
On The Run
Once Upon A Time
Post Traumatic Stress
Resisting The Temptation
Return To Darkmoor
Rubber Water
Separate Ways
Silicon Teen
Slow Train
Snow On The Roof
Something Meaningful
Somewhere Down The Road
Summer Love
Sun Shower
Temperature's Rising
That Does Not Compute
The Best Thing
The Box
The Buck Stops Here
The Clock On The Wall
The Cornfield
The Dogs Of Funk
The End Times
The Fall Of Spring
The Gates Of Darkmoor
The History Of God
The Joke Is On You
The Joy Of Christmas
The Medusa
The Needle
The Three Towers
The Walls Came Down
The World's Smallest Violin
Thorn In The Side Of The Lord
Til Tuesday Comes
Time Is Time
Tin And Bag
V Pop
Walkin' Through A Hurricane
Wanting To Be Free Again
Weather Report
When In Rome
When The World Ends
Where Has My Prince Gone
You Can't Dance (And It's Too Wet To Plow)

With that out of the way, I've avoided this sub forum since my first encounter and the absolute tearing to shreds of my total lack of musical talent by one of the members here whose name won't be mentioned. It was without a doubt the most brutal post I'd ever read since being here. And it left me traumatized and swearing that I'd never post another song in the Music Cafe ever again.

Well, it's a good year later at least and I've finally come to terms with this place. Honestly, I don't care what anybody says about my music anymore and the only reason I'm even starting this thread is to give myself something to do. But rather than post a whole bunch of songs all over this sub forum and monopolize it, I decided to just make one thread. This way, it's easy to avoid. Every couple of days or so, I'll post another track. This will give everybody a chance to rip me a new one, those who derive pleasure from that practice. My only posts in this sub forum will be the tracks themselves. I will not be responding to any comments, good or bad. So if anybody has a question they want to ask me, PM me privately because I won't be checking this thread for replies.

Having said all that, I decided to make my first post a song that I just completed yesterday. I think it's one of the nicer songs I've written. Of course with Vocaloid vocals, well, you know. Still sounds like crap. And of course my mixing skills suck. Can't keep a steady beat (old tracks are really bad) and I only know how to use the white keys when composing. Never did figure out what those black keys are for. So you all will have plenty to rip to shreds in this thread. I hope it gives you a chuckle and some entertainment value. Feel free to post any derogatory comments you like. I'm even going to request the moderators to allow this thread be a place where you guys can let off some steam.

I guess this is my way of trying to show everybody that I can have a sense of humor and I can laugh at myself and not take any of this too seriously.

Okay, here is my most recent track with Avanna (my newest Vocaloid) on lead vocals. I like the quality of her voice but she has a terrible sibilance problem that the other Vocaloids don't have. Probably because she's a Vocaloid 2 product and all the other ones I have are 3s and 4s. Still, I like the way she sounds. The track is called "The Clock On The Wall" and I'm posting the lyrics in case anybody wants to follow along as Vocaloid lyrics are very hard to understand because they tend to be kind of robotic like a vocoder.

The Clock On The Wall

Two A M right now
As I'm staring into space
Can't escape my dreams
Better nightmares in their place
But all the dreams I have
Just don't matter much at all
When all I have is the clock on the wall

No one seems to care
For the dreamers in this world
Life it just goes on
There's no place for wishful girls
And all the dreams I have
When all I have is the clock on the wall

If only my dreams could meet reality
Oh what a wonderful place this world would be

But I'll sleep tonight
And wake up tomorrow morn
In between the dreams
Welcome death after they're born
Cause all the dreams I have
Even less than the clock on the wall

Repeat Bridge

Repeat Last Verse

https://soundcloud.com/steven-wagenheim ... lead-vocal
Last edited by wagtunes on Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:49 am, edited 25 times in total.
V0RT3X
KVRAF

6919 posts since 3 Jul, 2012, from Canada

Postby V0RT3X; Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:48 pm Re: The Wagtunes Corner

This track isn't bad, It makes me think of a Robot singing in some sort of futuristic world which is kind of cool.

Kind of reminds me of the music from Portal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6ljFaKRTrI
nineofkings
KVRAF

1741 posts since 9 Apr, 2011

Postby nineofkings; Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:28 pm Re: The Wagtunes Corner

Nice Elton John sorta ballad vibe thing. I know you're sick of hearing this, but honestly, with the time it takes to get a vocaloid track down, you could easily tune and process an out of tune vocal. it would improve this style of music a thousand times. Do you have ReaTune or Waves Tune or some sort of tuning plugin with a manual option?

And of course there's the John Lennon option - don't like the sound of your voice? Double track it.
jancivil
KVRAF

14448 posts since 20 Oct, 2007, from No Location

Postby jancivil; Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:44 pm Re: The Wagtunes Corner

I really go for the stupid tom tom fill which starts the drum track off. I love that shit.

No, really, this was perversity on purpose, was it not? I have no judgement on the song itself, I mean it is exactly what it's supposed to be, what?
Last edited by jancivil on Fri May 11, 2018 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bodhisan
KVRist

451 posts since 7 Aug, 2015, from H2O

Postby Bodhisan; Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:08 pm Re: The Wagtunes Corner

Wags, take this as a compliment: Your music is in the artery (for the good) of Broadway. Maybe that’s been said before, but I think you missed your calling as a Tim Rice/Andrew Lloyd Webberesque type composer - but you do both words and music - which is a cool. Again, please take this as a compliment, but your music usually sounds “familiar” yet a bit unique, which is what I think of when I think of musicals. In other words, from my humble vantage point - :tu:
jancivil
KVRAF

14448 posts since 20 Oct, 2007, from No Location

Postby jancivil; Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:15 pm Re: The Wagtunes Corner

These are your lyrics? They're good. I for one won't have expected you to write from the POV of a young girl, but hey that's versatility isn't it.

But anyway, good clickbait in the original post.
digitalboytn
KVRian

1041 posts since 7 Dec, 2008, from Global Cowboy

Postby digitalboytn; Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:23 pm Re: The Wagtunes Corner

I like this song...it has potential...

A couple of things that may strengthen the architecture of the song...

I feel that there is a smoother way for getting to the hook of the song instead of crashing into the A chord...that one is a bit jarring...

Try this for "matter much at all"....

Db/F / Gbm6....hold the Gbm6 for 2 beats and that ascension sets up a Db/Ab which is a better choice there than a regular Db...

I quite like the bridge...there are different harmonic choices you could use there,but what you have gone with is OK...

Regarding the sibilence of Ronine the Robot...

Sibilence is better than flatulence in a studio... We can use multiple de-essers on sibilence and that is easier than trying to remove the pong of an over cooked fart in a vocal booth :wink:

Finally...with regards to the playing and the production of the song...

The song needs a string arrangement to lift it up...a string arrangement that is scored properly...not one of the BS string parts where people hit a string patch and play a few chords...a properly orchestrated score...call William Ross..

The piano playing is too pedestrian...that part needs to open up and relax... not just state the obvious chords of the song...listen to David Foster...he's the king of making it sound so easy...

And....put your compressors away for a while,or back off the thresholds and the ratios...everything is too squashed....the piano for example...if you squash everything in a mix,it will never be dynamic and it will feel lifeless...

Just my two cents worth anyway...

But I think that the song has potential :tu:
Sorry - I don't use auto-tune....
Aloysius
KVRAF

21666 posts since 11 Aug, 2008, from a computer

Postby Aloysius; Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:02 pm Re: The Wagtunes Corner

wagtunes wrote:**WARNING** - Avoid this thread if you have no tolerance for bad music and vocals that sound like cats crying in the night. Otherwise, you have no one to blame for your suffering but you

The lack of a full stop at the end of this sentence disgusts me.
Impeach 64. Keep 32-bit Plug-ins alive.
risome
KVRAF

1997 posts since 30 Oct, 2006, from Australia, NSW

Postby risome; Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:37 pm Re: The Wagtunes Corner

Where are the drums? Vocaloid really I'm vearing into space cant escape my reams wtf.Wheres the bottom end.This wouldn't even make Walmart elevator music
http://www.voltagedisciple.com
Patches for ACE,PREDATOR,SYNPLANT,SUB BOOM BASS2,PUNCH
AALTO,CIRCLE,BLADE and Ableton LIVE Packs
https://soundcloud.com/somerville-1i
thecontrolcentre
KVRAF

22322 posts since 27 Jul, 2005, from the wilds of wanny

Postby thecontrolcentre; Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:54 pm Re: The Wagtunes Corner

Aloysius wrote:
wagtunes wrote:**WARNING** - Avoid this thread if you have no tolerance for bad music and vocals that sound like cats crying in the night. Otherwise, you have no one to blame for your suffering but you

The lack of a full stop at the end of this sentence disgusts me.

Aloysius
KVRAF

21666 posts since 11 Aug, 2008, from a computer

Postby Aloysius; Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:57 pm Re: The Wagtunes Corner

:lol:
Impeach 64. Keep 32-bit Plug-ins alive.
an-electric-heart
KVRian

1472 posts since 13 Jun, 2008, from Napier,New Zealand

Postby an-electric-heart; Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:57 pm Re: The Wagtunes Corner

Man... why are people so brutal to you when it comes to feedback, they're really out to get you... what did you do? :lol: The closest thing I've ever had to negative feedback was when I guy accused me of ripping off my music/backing track (it was a cover), so he obviously thought it was really good... but it was actually made by me, so it was actually kind of a compliment. :tu: :D
layzer
KVRAF

5249 posts since 11 Jun, 2006

Postby layzer; Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:05 pm Re: The Wagtunes Corner

the song itself is ok for a simple piano ballad, the overall tone comes over with too much midrange to my ears.

On using those vocaloid things.... go full on robotic vocoder or find a real
singer anything else will just be ridiculed. my 2.

oh and, ibtl :scared:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]
machinesworking
KVRian

1249 posts since 15 Aug, 2003, from seattle

Postby machinesworking; Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:40 pm Re: The Wagtunes Corner

If I imagine the track with a real young woman singing it, it's pretty damned good! As it stands I think the problem with Vocaloid etc. is the Uncanny Valley effect, it just ends up making the track creepy sounding, but without it being intentional.

In general though, I kind of love that about you Wagtunes, your kind of cringey forum name, the awkward line drawing of you that looks computer generated or drawn by an autistic christian, the Vocaloid creepy voices on your songs, the complete inability to not get into arguments about nothing with people on this forum who obviously have far too harsh of an opinion about you're sometimes overtly emotional posts about some soft synth or another. It all adds up to more character than most people exhibit on these forums, so you do you! :tu:
digitalboytn
KVRian

1041 posts since 7 Dec, 2008, from Global Cowboy

Postby digitalboytn; Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:40 pm Re: The Wagtunes Corner

an-electric-heart wrote:Man... why are people so brutal to you when it comes to feedback, they're really out to get you... what did you do? :lol:

I thought that we were being positive,taking the time to make honest criticisms to make the track better...so much of the time here on KVR, people serve up music that is total crap,but there they are lapping up all of the dumb platitudes...if we want our music to evolve and get better,we need to listen to the criticism and act on it...Honesty is a good policy...

Of course,we could just say dishonestly beautiful things about crap music and just leave them to the sharks that lurk in the industry waters...

They have much sharper teeth than us and their wounds can often be fatal :wink:

“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

― Hunter S. Thompson
Sorry - I don't use auto-tune....
Next

Moderators: DrApostropheX, Scoops, Moderators (Main)

Return to Music Cafe