Alternatives to the 4th string layout?

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Who's using something other than the default 4th string layout? Pros and cons?

I've been playing bass guitar for decades, and guitar the last 12 years. Couple that with the 4th string layout being the default, and I hadn't really considered using anything else. The fingering of the scales is familiar to me in this layout.

But some people are using different layouts, and there obviously must be a reason for that. What are the reasons?

Thanks!

I'm using tritone. Although fourths makes it possible to use guitar-style chord shapes, there's a big different in wrist angle between a guitar and the Linnstrument when it's on a desk or stand. With the Linnstrument, your thumbs are much more usable than with a guitar but the chord shapes, to me, feel a lot more cramped and uncomfortable. Tritone makes it easier to hit chords with spread fingers and puts octaves into blocks, which makes it a bit easier to transition from a keyboard instrument.

I did see someone say they are using a sixth-interval layout, which I haven't spent much time with. I did have a go with a fifths layout but it seemed to make the wrist angle problem worse with a Linnstrument on a desk. It probably could work if played like a stick but the size and weight of the Linnstrument makes it a bit uncomfortable – if I played regular stick, it might seem a lot more familiar and natural.

What is meant by tri tone layout? is it the +3 setting? I am just getting started on my Linnstrument and really want to dig in and learn and master thekeybed but have not yet settled on a configuration. I am going to use this as my master midi controller of all three of my synths that I use for bass and leads. Have been using the guitar layout. I only play monophonic synths so am exploring the best layout for that.

Tritone tuning means a Row Offset of 6 semitones.

StyleBuck— I think you don’t yet have a LinnStrument. To experiment with different tunings, there’s a very nice IPad app called Musix Pro that lets you experiment with any grid or hex layout.

Roger,

That is right. I've not yet gotten my hands on a linnstrument.

I guess when I get one I'll try out a few different layouts, go through chords and scales, play a couple songs, see what feels right.

It's still good to know what others have decided on though, what they found to be the pros and cons.

I switched to the tritone or 6 semitone layout quite a while ago, I'll never look back.
I come long time ago from violin, and not so long time ago from electric bass (frettless of course).
You might think a fifth or fourth layout should be more common for me, but I was adapting so fast, almost instantanious. As on a real stringed instrument, all the spaces differ depending where on the fretboard you move, you have to adjust your muscle memory anyway. And with the constant distances on a LinnStrument everything is much easier as well. In the end you learn by ear...
Visually harmonies kind of jump in your eyes if you use the tritone layout. It is much more regular. The octave is always just two strings above...
And as stated already, chords are easier as well...

Hi TJ,
Would you like to make an informal video demonstrating the advantages? I think others would value it.

Yes, but it will take a while... Which video editor do you use to make your videos? I would like to combine several into one picture, like having one or more showing the LinnStrument playing a track and also a screen recording...
I could use my iPad as camera, like I did with my Thorn video. There the layout is visible in action already...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGDtWD9CLJM

I use Premier but I think what you did in that video is fine. Do a tight shot of you and the LinnStrument and talk about the advantages of the tritone layout while occasionally demoing it. It’s far less trouble than editing.

Yeah it would be nice to have some examples using it and why it's better/worse than other tunings
;)
p

I played with fifths layout when I first got my linnstrument. I played a lot of cello as a child and thought the familiar finger shapes would be helpful. I've since gone back to the fourths that most folks are using. I find the shapes easier to reach that way.

Today after seeing a clip from Jeremy i was thinking: Do someone ever thought about playing the linnstrument like an harpejji? I never tried that layout, have someone of you? I guess it is not possible to get it on the Linnstrument (the only way would be having it perpendicular to normal use and have a whole step, which is not available at the moment - it's not a request Roger :D i am just curious, maybe someone modified the code to got there)

Yes, it's possible to tune LinnStrument like a Harpejji, though you must rotate LinnStrument 90 degrees so that the "LinnStrument" logo is closest to you:
1) Set Global Settings > Row Offset to +2. In Row Offset, hold "+Octave" then slide finger to select "2".
2) In Global Settings > column 1, turn on 4th button from bottom (Left Handed mode).

oh probably i missed that passage :) i will try then
thank you Roger :)

It's OK. Left Handed mode is not printed and easy to miss.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”