Map Komplete kontrol Mk2 knobs midi cc to Ableton internal devices on a per track basis?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'd like to map the knobs on my KKkeyboard to devices on non KK tracks using Ableton's midi mapping features but the mapping is global. Is there a way to make it track specific so that knob 1 (cc14) can be used on multiple track depending on which is record activated?
Last edited by orbita on Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... ace-script

Made a script for KK following this here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3ea6d4q6sm0b ... 7UmOa?dl=0

Works with focused device and also you can use the 8 white buttons to navigate device pages for larger devices

Great thanks, I'll try this tonight

Hi - so I've installed the script but I'm not sure how I make use of it?

How to map? Or is it automapping to something and if so what?

Thanks, Tom

Yes it automaps any device loaded to NI S Series 2 keyboards knobs and buttons (might work with v1 as well but I don't think they have the 8 buttons), whether Live instrument or effect or also, to an extent, plugins (although with plugins it only automaps the first 8 params - but better to load those in Komplete Kontrol anyway). When you select the device control switches to that device automatically - if you have set it up right you should see a little blue hand in the header to show you have control. For Live devices it maps all 8 macro knobs, or if it doesn't have macros it maps the device params, if there are more than 8 these are automatically divided up into 'banks' of params that can be switched between using the 8 white buttons.

If it's not working you need to follow the instructions on the page I linked to - there are a couple of txt files it mentions on your hard drive that explain further - read InstantMappings-HowTo.txt, the other one is more for if you want to create your own script:

https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... ace-script

I made it to complement the existing 'integration' - it doesn't replace that but just adds missing features because the default control only really covers DAW functions like transport, not device control, which I was more interested in tbh.

Hi

So I took replaced the contents of my UserConfiguration.txt file with your file and dropped your Komplete Kontrol 2 with 16 knobs control.js into the same folder. Is that right?

Then in ableton, I drop an instance of operator onto a new midi channel. I see the blue hand in the menu bar.

Twiddling the knobs doesn't seem to do anything. What should it control at this point?

I tried also putting an instrument rack and then mapping a macro to coarse pitch and that didnt seem to react to the knob either? Should it?

Do I need to do anything in preferences?

I'm not quite sure what my expectations should be for how it works.

Thanks, Tom

orbita wrote:Hi

So I took replaced the contents of my UserConfiguration.txt file with your file and dropped your Komplete Kontrol 2 with 16 knobs control.js into the same folder. Is that right?

Then in ableton, I drop an instance of operator onto a new midi channel. I see the blue hand in the menu bar.

Twiddling the knobs doesn't seem to do anything. What should it control at this point?

I tried also putting an instrument rack and then mapping a macro to coarse pitch and that didnt seem to react to the knob either? Should it?

Do I need to do anything in preferences?

I'm not quite sure what my expectations should be for how it works.

Thanks, Tom
Wrong file, you need the one that says 'Macros for Live" - the js is for Bitwig. Sorry thought that was obvious.

I'll write an info file to go with it walking people through it.

ok figured it out!

There is a file called InstantMappings-HowTo that describes part of what to do:

First create a dir inside User Remote Scripts with a name that will become the Control surface you will later select in Preferences.
Copy your UserConfiguration.txt file into that dir

Then select the Control surface in preferences according to the name of the dir created and then select Komplete Kontrol mk2 Port 1 for the input and output.

The result of this is that the 8 knobs control 8 preconfigured parameters of the device - paging through with the top buttons as you say. Is there anyway to have the KK show the names of the parameters? Because at the moment I've no idea which knob will control which param?

If you put the device into a rack, then the 8 knobs control the 8 macros and it becomes rather more intuitive but you only have 8 params and need to manually map them - still should suffice for most use.

Thanks

OK I changed the names to make it clearer and will add these instructions:

1) Place the KK2 Macros folder containing the user configuration script in:

Mac: HD:/Users/[Username]/Library/Preferences/Ableton/Live x.x.x/User Remote Scripts

Windows: C:\Users\[Username]\AppData\Roaming\Ableton\Live x.x.x\User Remote Scripts

2) Open Live preferences/Link/Midi. Add a new input device under control surfaces, if installed correctly KK2 Macros should appear in the dropdown. Route the midi in and outs to Komplete Kontrol Mk2 Port 1. Once this is done KK2 Macros should also appear under Midi Ports, ensure all 3 buttons after that are on.

That should do it, then if you load a Live device or preset and select it you should be able to control it with the knobs and navigate device pages with the buttons.

orbita wrote:ok figured it out!

There is a file called InstantMappings-HowTo that describes part of what to do:

First create a dir inside User Remote Scripts with a name that will become the Control surface you will later select in Preferences.
Copy your UserConfiguration.txt file into that dir

Then select the Control surface in preferences according to the name of the dir created and then select Komplete Kontrol mk2 Port 1 for the input and output.

The result of this is that the 8 knobs control 8 preconfigured parameters of the device - paging through with the top buttons as you say. Is there anyway to have the KK show the names of the parameters? Because at the moment I've no idea which knob will control which param?

If you put the device into a rack, then the 8 knobs control the 8 macros and it becomes rather more intuitive but you only have 8 params and need to manually map them - still should suffice for most use.

Thanks
No you don't need to do that, I've already created the file but added additional script to map the buttons too so you have more than 8 params to control and for Live devices they are automapped (as are the first 8 selected of any plugin - but use KK for those).

Just use that - see above.
Last edited by aMUSEd on Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

So the JS file is for bitwig? I rather like bitwig but one thing that put me off was complete lack of KK integration. How much control has this given you? A cursory look suggests you have implemented transport control.

orbita wrote:So the JS file is for bitwig? I rather like bitwig but one thing that put me off was complete lack of KK integration. How much control has this given you? A cursory look suggests you have implemented transport control.
Unfortunately that bit doesn't work for KK2, it works for the series one though. Basically it gives you control over any device, and I created device maps for almost all my plugins so they are automapped.

aMUSEd wrote:OK I changed the names to make it clearer and will add these instructions:

Mac: HD:/Users/[Username]/Library/Preferences/Ableton/Live x.x.x/User Remote Scripts

Windows: C:\Users\[Username]\AppData\Roaming\Ableton\Live x.x.x\User Remote Scripts

2) Open Live preferences/Link/Midi. Add a new input device under control surfaces, if installed correctly KK2 Macros should appear in the dropdown. Route the midi in and outs to Komplete Kontrol Mk2 Port 1. Once this is done KK2 Macros should also appear under Midi Ports, ensure all 3 buttons after that are on.

That should do it, then if you load a Live device or preset and select it you should be able to control it with the knobs and navigate device pages with the buttons.
Yep it worked ,thanks!

The result of this is that the 8 knobs control 8 preconfigured parameters of the device - paging through with the top buttons as you say. At the moment I've no idea which knob will control which param.

Is there anyway to have the KK show the names of the parameters on the screens?

orbita wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:OK I changed the names to make it clearer and will add these instructions:

Yep it worked ,thanks!

The result of this is that the 8 knobs control 8 preconfigured parameters of the device - paging through with the top buttons as you say. At the moment I've no idea which knob will control which param.

Is there anyway to have the KK show the names of the parameters on the screens?
Sorry not as far as I know.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”