Highpitched whining noise; how to get rid of it?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

There's this problem I keep having whenever I record at my home through microphones. There's this faint, high-pitched noise.

Sometimes it's there, sometimes it's suddenly gone. It seems to depend also on where I place the microphones but I haven't been able to pinpoint what is causing it. I use a Samsung Laptop with Windows 10, a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 and Studio Projects Mics (but I get the same with other condensormics) apart from this noiseproblem it all works pretty well and I get good recordings.

Does anyone recognize this? Does anyone know how to avoid this/get rid of this?

(I posted an example here http://homerecording.com/bbs/general-di ... id-398422/ but apparantly I can't post it here)

A couple of sources to unwanted noise:

a) some switched power supplies, common today, use very supersonic frequencies when transforming power. When these are heavily loaded, up close to max power they do, they may go down in audible range.

Sometimes to do with age of power supplies, since switching solid state stuff like transistors may loose current amplification over time - and therefore transforming less power each cycle.

b) display monitors line frequency - keep distance from those as much as possible.

And use balanced cables - so external noise is cancelled out. When I used mikes, in my example above, no problem. Only problem with guitar passive pickups which are not balanced input to interfaces/amps.

c) As with guitars and amps - electro magnetic fields - can cause interference.

I've had electric fences for cattle interfere for me, having that central generating current too close to my studio. Owner of farm where I live my apartment were kind enough to move to 20m away, and it's ok now. Such radiation diminish by power of 2 of distance.

Also just turning around with a guitar - can reduce noise - different angle of fields from tube amp high voltages.

d) other kinds of unfortunate detection of HF

It actually happend that people get radio stations into their head - detection in tooth actually.
Really weird stuff can happend.
Sometimes various machines can cause interference on power grid and many buildnings close by can detect that.

Hope you get a couple if ideas at least....

Not sure if ur problem is the same that I once solved. Try to isolate all earthing (grounding?..) pins on all electrical plugs of your entire electrical hardware complex with insolation tape (mainly pc and speakers). May get this solved.

I'd also try swapping the interface into another usb port. I get what sounds like a very similar sound in one USB port, but not if I plug it into a different one. Not exactly sure why - perhaps one is nearer the CPU fan or something!

Reaktor Hunter wrote:Not sure if ur problem is the same that I once solved. Try to isolate all earthing (grounding?..) pins on all electrical plugs of your entire electrical hardware complex with insolation tape (mainly pc and speakers). May get this solved.
There‘s always someone who‘ll help you kill yourself with unsound advice.

Seriously, three prongs exist for a reason. Don’t mess around with that! Never!

If the high-pitched noise only occurrs with condensers, not dynamic mics, it could be a power supply issue. Phantom power has to be generated from 5V by up-transformation. Might be a capacitor, might be a bad USB cable, might be your USB port, might be a power-hungry condenser on a low-spec interface.

If it’s magically gone with dynamic mics, try an external phantom power supply.
..off to play with my music toys - library music production.
http://www.FiveMinuteHippo.com

monopoli wrote:Does anyone recognize this? Does anyone know how to avoid this/get rid of this?
This is classic ground loop noise. There are many potential causes in a rig and many potential workarounds/solutions. A web search for "studio ground loop" should turn up some articles on how to troubleshoot your rig.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”