Cakewalk Sonar Platinum is now free!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
SONAR SONAR Platinum SONAR X3 Producer

Another tip about the Sonar audio engine. As far as I know, they never implemented a totally gapless audio engine. So certain operations regarding recording/editing on the fly may have issues. If you are getting freezes, or dropouts, try stopping the transport first.
Windows 10 and too many plugins

zzz00m wrote:
flugel45 wrote:A year or so ago, it was common to see Melodyne Essentials licenses for sale here cheap ($15-30 range). People were accumulating multiple copies while DAW surfing, and dumping the extras in the marketplace.

Now that Bandlab's Cakewalk is free and includes ARA support, it's definitely worth a look here for a secondhand copy of ME (Assuming that Celemony still allows license transfers).
+1 to the suggestion above for acquiring a cheap used Melodyne Essentials license.

I have the impression that Cakewalk replaced Audiosnap with ARA/Melodyne support.

In that case I wouldn't expect them to keep trying to improve Audiosnap any further. It has worked fine for some, but others have complained. Probably depends on how you use it.
Yeah, you are right, Melodyne does a better job of what audiosnap was intended to do.

I think Cakewalk have a similar problem to Microsoft, they have lots of outdated code due to a 30 year history. The difference is that MS have the financial clout to work through all their code and either strip it out or disable it. I feel that Bandlab have a lot more streamlining to do to get this daw to run really well.

dellboy wrote:
fmr wrote:
_al_ wrote:uninstalled.
sorry bandlab, I gave you a chance, but my mate has a 26gb processor or something, and it still couldn't function correctly
Hmm... Judging from the bolded, you don't seem very computer savvy. Maybe you are doing something wrong?
Yeah, everyone knows that processors only come in uneven numbers.

My processor is only 19gb and it did not freeze. :hihi:
well clearly not everyone knows. he told me how many cores his processor is, and i quickly added it up in my head.
sorry for not taking time to add it up correctly in case i may instill the wrath of some kvr nerds in the future. i'll try harder next time :scared:

Not sure how you got to gigabytes though. Processor speed is measure in Hertz (cycles per second). Gigabytes is a data size unit. Also, simply adding up processor speed is pretty pointless. Not only is there a distinction between single core performance and multi core performance, but, there's also other things to take into account, when measuring a CPU's performance.

chk071 wrote:Not sure how you got to gigabytes though. Processor speed is measure in Hertz (cycles per second). Gigabytes is a data size unit. Also, simply adding up processor speed is pretty pointless. Not only is there a distinction between single core performance and multi core performance, but, there's also other things to take into account, when measuring a CPU's performance.
thanks for the info. at least you aint being rude about it. :tu:
yeah i really don't know about all that. he built it himself so i didn't really get any official specs from him.
but it's funny how its given me more problems than any other DAW, and now 10 years later on a computer that slaughters mine, still its the only DAW that causes us issues.
but still, if you would all rather laugh at how little i know about computers, then please go right ahead :D

zzz00m wrote:Another tip about the Sonar audio engine. As far as I know, they never implemented a totally gapless audio engine.
That's because they prioritised fully working automatic PDC everywhere, instead, from V1. The other DAWs lauded as 'gapless' almost always had inadequate PDC. Some still do, I think.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

_al_ wrote:
chk071 wrote:Not sure how you got to gigabytes though. Processor speed is measure in Hertz (cycles per second). Gigabytes is a data size unit. Also, simply adding up processor speed is pretty pointless. Not only is there a distinction between single core performance and multi core performance, but, there's also other things to take into account, when measuring a CPU's performance.
yeah i really don't know about all that. he built it himself so i didn't really get any official specs from him.
but it's funny how its given me more problems than any other DAW, and now 10 years later on a computer that slaughters mine, still its the only DAW that causes us issues.
I can't tell how it is now, but, i used to own the small version of Sonar X1, and, unfortunately, it was about the only DAW i ever tried which already had a tendency to crash while plugin scanning, and it also crashed the one or the other time with really simple tasks, and very moderate use (i really didn't do much apart from playing VSTi's in it...).

_al_ wrote:
but still, if you would all rather laugh at how little i know about computers, then please go right ahead :D
My apologies.

When you said "gb" I think you were refering to how much ram the computer has and not the processor speed. Although "26 gb" is still a rather odd number for ram, but I guess feasable with some motherboards.

A better number for a powerful computer would be 32 gb of ram, which is composed of two 16 gb sticks.

dellboy wrote:
My apologies.

When you said "gb" I think you were refering to how much ram the computer has and not the processor speed. Although "26 gb" is still a rather odd number for ram, but I guess feasable with some motherboards.

A better number for a powerful computer would be 32 gb of ram, which is composed of two 16 gb sticks.
accepted. no need to talk about ram though, we only loaded a drumloop.

whyterabbyt wrote:
zzz00m wrote:Another tip about the Sonar audio engine. As far as I know, they never implemented a totally gapless audio engine.
That's because they prioritised fully working automatic PDC everywhere, instead, from V1. The other DAWs lauded as 'gapless' almost always had inadequate PDC. Some still do, I think.
well they certainly claimed certain operations were gapless over the years,
"Gapless operation when moving loop points, inserting effects, and inserting and replacing synths." (hs6touch)
"gapless effects patching" (sonar3! :o )
neither of which are apparent in the more recent versions (i blame the "skylight" ui layer)
but yeah, not as gapless as some other daws (for me)

whyterabbyt wrote:
Yep, I gladly trade a non totally gapless audio engine for real PDC and good midi sync. Sonar is way better there than Live and Reaper, that are the other DAWs I know a bit.

_al_ wrote:
accepted. no need to talk about ram though, we only loaded a drumloop.
I just found a pre-made drumloop, loaded it and used alt-A to open up audiosnap. I then moved individual stems or markers around and it was ok. I then lasooed a number at a time and was able to move these around for quite a time. I then went back to moving individual stems around and induced the audio engine to stop which required a daw reboot.

So, confirmed on my machine as well.

Maybe long time users have work arounds for this sort of thing.

dellboy wrote:
Maybe long time users have work arounds for this sort of thing.
Yup, use what works! :wink:

There is probably some code that Cakewalk should remove because of better, newer options, but some users would scream if a feature that they used was taken away.
Windows 10 and too many plugins

new update available via BandLab Assistant that contains Pow-r dithering, Melodyne, Studio Instruments Suite, Drum Replacer & Theme Editor. i am downloading now
my newest sounds:
https://soundcloud.com/the-das-kaput

Cakewalk by BandLab, Komplete 13, Maschine 2 (MKI & Jam), Fathom Synth, Guitars, Jam Origin MIDI Guitar, EXH Superego+ etc

update: the Melodyne that is included is a 30 day trial, if you don't already own a version of Melodyne
my newest sounds:
https://soundcloud.com/the-das-kaput

Cakewalk by BandLab, Komplete 13, Maschine 2 (MKI & Jam), Fathom Synth, Guitars, Jam Origin MIDI Guitar, EXH Superego+ etc

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”