Harrison Mastering EQ - VST/AU

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
AVA Mastering EQ

You heard right! VST/AU format plugins...

https://www.harrisonconsoles.com/site/a ... 68ff8fe286

Looks interesting, and comparatively cheap ($69 ($49 intro)).

I like their plugins in mixbus and I am glad to see them exploring the market
from that angle. Unfortunately they need to learn a lot about reasonable
demo limitations. Seems to time out every 60 secs or so, pretty ridiculous IMHO.

If they were smart they would make a free limited version, maybe less bands
or something to try a garner interest, rather than waste peoples time with
silly demos.

Cmon' Harrison, use your brains here and enter the market with some success,
rather than just another annoying plugin vendor who behaves as though everyone is out
to cheat them.

-Cheers

A cut out every 60 s is not bad, if everything else about it is 100% functional. I prefer plugin demos that do not have a time or feature limit - so the only next way to do it is to mess with the audio. I'd prefer that then limited functions or limited time.

I was just thinking another way might be to prevent audio out when the transport isn't moving - but there are a lot of audio apps without transports.

What kind of demo mode limitations would you prefer?

Actually the UI changes to a nag screen with a link to buy or enter a serial number.
It's pretty annoying imho, considering the way it works, its difficult to complete an
eq curve.

Personally I prefer fully functional but time limited. Or at minimal, a noise type,
something that doesn't interrupt your working with it.

Anyway, I am still reeling from the Ploytec Mango demo, I sent tham a nasty email
about that as well. They suck imho, all this smart technology, but they cant even
rig a proper demo.

I like Harrison, I think they can do better. They are doing themselves no service
here. IMHO.

-rant

I use 32C. the way I use it in my workflow doesn't inspire me to buy it for my DAW. In other words I am happy to keep the Harrison stuff within the 32C domain. Plus, I have more EQs than you can shake a patch cord at - I dont feel I need another unless it does something I dont have that would be useful.

I could say the same, I was just interested because it was from them, and I
wanted to see what was up. Their name got me on the hook, their practices
failed to reel me in.

Anyway, if they were smart, I think they could make some money here as they
make quality stuff IMHO. They need to be a bit more forward thinking, at least
when it comes to business.

plexuss, I hope you take that into account with your plugin usability projects,
a reasonable demo is part of that IMO.

-Cheers

pekbro wrote:I[snip...]
plexuss, I hope you take that into account with your plugin usability projects,
a reasonable demo is part of that IMO.

-Cheers
Yes but remember that when doing consulting all I can do is offer recommendations - it's up the business to decide what to do. It's on their shoulders (not mine) :phones:

My first question is OK what makes this any different or special compared to a thousand other EQs?
When 2 adjacent bands of the AVA-ME are adjusted, the resultant curve is “flat” across the band edges, rather than discrete humps and valleys. The resulting curves are perfectly suited for the broad, musical changes needed for final tone-control while retaining the harmonic balance between the elements of your mix.
Is this a big deal?

From Waves GEQ an (I believe) arguably, more fully featured EQ for $20 less atm:

"Flat-Top filters which eliminate the artifacts associated with band interaction,
and provide perfect plateau and stair-stepped responses."

Anyway, I assume it's a similar thing...

*Waves also offers a proper demo, of course we are talking about Waves
here, so GEQ comes with all that implies, both good and bad.

Is this eq better then Pro Q 2?

It's a nice eq, no doubt pretty feature poor as compared to Pro Q2. To be fair, its
a bit of a specialty eq, where Pro Q2 is highly versatile. Does it sound better?
Not that I have been able to hear as yet.

I wouldn't mind having it, if I could get it for a bit better price. For me, it's not
offering much to justify the cost. Although, I like many around here, have plenty
in the way of equalizers already.

pekbro wrote:I like their plugins in mixbus and I am glad to see them exploring the market
from that angle. Unfortunately they need to learn a lot about reasonable
demo limitations. Seems to time out every 60 secs or so, pretty ridiculous IMHO.

If they were smart they would make a free limited version, maybe less bands
or something to try a garner interest, rather than waste peoples time with
silly demos.

Cmon' Harrison, use your brains here and enter the market with some success,
rather than just another annoying plugin vendor who behaves as though everyone is out
to cheat them.

-Cheers
Closing & reopening the plugin brings the GUI back. It's annoying indeed, but I prefer that over dropped audio or noise.

No reports?

Sorry - it's easier to ask than to install a demo :lol:

I'm quite impressed by the sound. It's seems to mold the signal in a way that preserves the joins (as it were) between the adjusted regions.

@onerob: Thanks for the nice comments! That is indeed the intent of the plugin: to provide a smooth transition between the "plateaus" of regions in the spectrum.

@pekbro: You can learn more about the "demo" rationale HERE in our manual.  Unfortunately there is no way to make everybody happy.  Personally, I'm a big fan of our method:  when I send a session to a different computer ( mine or anybody else's), I want my session to work -- for sure !!!

Thanks for the interest!  This is just the first of several plugins coming from Harrison this year.

Best,
-Ben at Harrison

Return to “Effects”