Plugin Boutique Radio

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
KVRAF
2787 posts since 22 May, 2017

Post Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:16 pm

Has anyone tried Radio yet?

Link: https://www.pluginboutique.com/products/3941-Radio

I have to admit, it's pretty nifty...though it's one big giant copyright infringement just waiting to happen.

Thoughts? :D

KVRAF
1853 posts since 11 Aug, 2012 from omfr morf form romf frmo

Post Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:34 pm

Yeah, it's an interesting idea and implementation but that put me completely off it. Especially since all the music sites do audio fingerprinting. Might be useful for someone with a legal clearance department.

If you want something similar for free, start a music playlist in YouTube and leave it running in a browser tab. You can rewind all the way back to the first song.

What would make me bite is if they sourced public domain/CC0 stuff. But I've been manually mining PD stuff so not sure if it would save me all that much time. If they sourced stuff I haven't found, then yes.

KVRAF
16257 posts since 24 May, 2009 from A galaxy, far far away

Post Tue May 01, 2018 12:34 am

I bought it. At that price, it's worth it for the radio functionality alone.

It has a huge, diverse list of stations, and the random button makes for great discovery fun. And if you hear something you like, and want to look further into the artist, you can just record a snippet so you can check into it at some other point in time :tu:

KVRAF
9438 posts since 16 Dec, 2002

Post Tue May 01, 2018 12:42 am

Leapt on this when it was released, great for grabbing random shit and mangling the shit out of it in realtime.

So many stations with non music content just waiting to be raped
Amazon: why not use an alternative

KVRAF
2417 posts since 1 Sep, 2016

Post Tue May 01, 2018 10:02 am

Last edited by Vortifex on Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KVRAF
4462 posts since 4 Aug, 2006 from Helsinki

Post Tue May 01, 2018 10:15 am

Vortifex wrote:It really bugs me that there's no stop function to stop the audio streaming. You either have to mute the channel, turn down the volume on the plugin, or remove it. Other than that it's great.
Agree, I have given feedback and my wishlist below.
But I think this is a great plugin. I have used it already in some productions.

- there should be "mute" or stop streaming command.
- when renaming own samples, the black GUI makes writing difficult (try and you see)
- "search" function for finding radio stations from the presets
- no classical music category in presets??? - there should be several, incl.different
classical music genres.
- info"-button is nonfunction, but you can load the manuall from the "menu"
- the user should be able the set the "playhead" by pointing the cursor, to listen chosen point of
stream

KVRAF

Post Tue May 01, 2018 10:15 am

Vortifex wrote:It really bugs me that there's no stop function to stop the audio streaming. You either have to mute the channel, turn down the volume on the plugin, or remove it. Other than that it's great.
I sent a feature request for a mute button in standalone mode. Not sure if that will help you :shrug:

KVRAF

Post Tue May 01, 2018 10:20 am

Harry_HH wrote:
Agree, I have given feedback and my wishlist below.
But I think this is a great plugin. I have used it already in some productions.

- there should be "mute" or stop streaming command.
- when renaming own samples, the black GUI makes writing difficult (try and you see)
- "search" function for finding radio stations from the presets
- no classical music category in presets??? - there should be several, incl.different
classical music genres.
- info"-button is nonfunction, but you can load the manuall from the "menu"
- the user should be able the set the "playhead" by pointing the cursor, to listen chosen point of
stream
Nice job. I also asked for mute functionality. Also, a larger sized font and breakout box for the station list.

KVRAF

Post Tue May 01, 2018 10:22 am

Last edited by Vortifex on Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KVRAF

Post Tue May 01, 2018 10:28 am

Vortifex wrote:A mute function wouldn't cut it, I'd prefer that I could stop the plugin from streaming data when I'm using it in my DAW. It's such an obvious thing to implement I was surprised it wasn't there already.
Gotcha! I've yet to use it as a plugin. Just been dragging directly from the standalone to the daw.

KVRAF

Post Tue May 01, 2018 10:37 am

BTW - have you learned how to add new radio stations to the list. It happens by locating the internet radio station, e.g. by using the google. But the internet address of the desired radio station doesn´t work like that - you have to use the mouse right click command "show the source code", while you have to mouse over the station streaming.
Then in the source code, use "site search" and locate the "stream" or "stream url".
The copy the address after the "stream", e.g. http://www.partyviberadio.com:8010/;stream
and open the "Url" in the Radio plugin, paste.

Often you have to use trial-and-error, and there are often several stream addresses in the source code.
The radio stations often try to hide their Urls.

But basicly this is how it works. If someone has located good stations, which are not included to the plugin factory station preset, please share here. I have some of them, e.g. a nice flamenco music station:

http://78.47.96.202:8500/listen.pls

Or this soul music station:

http://uk3.internet-radio.com:8174/;stream

and classical music station:

http://149.56.23.7:20154/;stream/1

KVRAF

Post Tue May 01, 2018 10:50 am

Last edited by Vortifex on Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KVRist
42 posts since 16 Jul, 2010

Post Wed May 02, 2018 2:04 am

Hey all - someone just pointed me at this thread.

We will look at all of these. Some of them are easier than others! But the mute/stop button is important and top of the list.
Devious Machines

KVRAF

Post Wed May 02, 2018 2:33 am

Basil Rush wrote:Hey all - someone just pointed me at this thread.

We will look at all of these. Some of them are easier than others! But the mute/stop button is important and top of the list.
Great, looking forward for the ver. 1.1

KVRist
220 posts since 11 Sep, 2017

Post Wed May 02, 2018 8:38 am

Not expensive. I will check this out.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”