donkeyt- categorically imperative - short power pop/rokk

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

In the spirit of the late, great Jim Bowen on Bullseye..here's what you could have won..

I started doing this for the April KVR song contest then decided that the miserable acoustic-y dirge I did more befitted the joy of the theme of spring. Finished up this one instead with some whingeing about the pace of the modern existence. Features my new cheap but nice 12 string electric, which led some to say it has a bit of REM to it - I thought more Bob Mould, but it's in that type of US 90s indie stylee anyway.

http://www.bennyleeds7.myfreeola.uk/don ... rative.mp3

Thanks to those on the FL forum who gave some mixing pointers, in particular sjm who came up with some good arrangement ideas I used. Think it's about there now after I upped the vocals a bit.

donkey tugger wrote:Thanks to those on the FL forum who gave some mixing pointers, in particular sjm who came up with some good arrangement ideas I used. Think it's about there now after I upped the vocals a bit.
That's not really true. I made a cryptic statement and left you to sort out the mess.

Is this the same version as in your latest update on the IL forums, or should I re-download the MP3?

donkey tugger wrote:In the spirit of the late, great Jim Bowen on Bullseye..here's what you could have won..

I started doing this for the April KVR song contest then decided that the miserable acoustic-y dirge I did more befitted the joy of the theme of spring. Finished up this one instead with some whingeing about the pace of the modern existence. Features my new cheap but nice 12 string electric, which led some to say it has a bit of REM to it - I thought more Bob Mould, but it's in that type of US 90s indie stylee anyway.

http://www.bennyleeds7.myfreeola.uk/don ... rative.mp3

Thanks to those on the FL forum who gave some mixing pointers, in particular sjm who came up with some good arrangement ideas I used. Think it's about there now after I upped the vocals a bit.
Too short. LOL

Love the guitar work on this one. Man, if I could play like that.

You're very talented. Now I know why people tell me I should do something else with my life.

You got a Soundcloud page? Would love to check out more of your stuff. I'm sure you got lots of great tracks.

sjm wrote:
Is this the same version as in your latest update on the IL forums, or should I re-download the MP3?
It's essentially the same except just a touch louder to balance it up with my other tracks - about 0.5db more on the limiter.

wagtunes wrote:
Too short. LOL

Love the guitar work on this one. Man, if I could play like that.

You're very talented. Now I know why people tell me I should do something else with my life.

You got a Soundcloud page? Would love to check out more of your stuff. I'm sure you got lots of great tracks.
This is the long version! :hihi:

Horses for courses and all that - I couldn't do the string orchestration like you did on your contest entry.
I've also been playing a verry long time now. :scared:

I did have some stuff on Soundcloud at one time but as I tend to use acoustic guitars with a lot of percussive top end, the tracks were sounding like some flanging mess due to their shite 128k encoding, so I don't bother with it any more.

Most of my stuff is on here now - I update it every so often;

https://sites.google.com/site/bennyleeds7/home

wagtunes wrote: Now I know why people tell me I should do something else with my life.
i hope you tell them to "f**k right off"
you enjoy doing what you do, so no one else has any right to say anything. not even your dummy ;)

as for this, wtf do you mean jim bowen is dead? and i find out here at kvr?!

sounds like johnny marr jamming with rem :)
good stuff as always :phones:

vurt wrote:
as for this, wtf do you mean jim bowen is dead? and i find out here at kvr?!
I'm sorry to have had to be the one to break the news to you. :cry:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... es-aged-80

Good old donkey. Still going strong! Nice to hear your music as always. Good solid track just like in the past.

Id submerged :phones: (frodefrisk)

I enjoyed that. Could have listened for another 2 or 3 minutes. I've been listening to The Byrds today and the guitar kind of reminded me of that era. Your voice is great. Thumbs up! :tu:
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

This is a great song! Inventive guitar work with very strong vocals. On my third listen now.

The mix is a bit muffled like listening to an old cassette. It's hard to make out the words. Still very enjoyable.

Nice tune. Thanks for the link to the others.

Good stuff again, Mr. Tugger! :clap:
A well-behaved signature.

Aloysius wrote: I've been listening to The Byrds
So have I, as you can probably tell. :hihi:

Really interesting reading up on Roger McGuinn's guitar sound. I'd always had it in my head that it was Vox amps, but apparently it was Fender all the way, plus the crazy bastard had a guitar with a compressor built in. :scared:

Obviously my £100 plank of plywood is never going to sound like a Rickenbacker, but it's got a nice sound in its own way...and it didn't cost £3000.

Frantz wrote:This is a great song! Inventive guitar work with very strong vocals. On my third listen now.

The mix is a bit muffled like listening to an old cassette. It's hard to make out the words. Still very enjoyable.
Cheers, I think it will take a bit more in the highs without being harsh, and still sit with my other tracks. I'll attempt a little tinkering tomorrow, when fully sober.

Sweet, nice guitar. Vocals have a David Byrne feel too which is cool

Return to “Music Cafe”