Best complete bundle for orchestral composing

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Michael L wrote:
jancivil wrote:this is def more advanced shopping than I've ever done
Let's consider the Forex forecast: https://www.dailyfx.com/eur-usd
I'm already checking the trends and since July 1, when the Euro/Dollar was around 1.169, we're now up to around 1.175. So things are going in the wrong direction for US customers.

wagtunes wrote:
Michael L wrote:
I'm already checking the trends and since July 1, when the Euro/Dollar was around 1.169, we're now up to around 1.175. So things are going in the wrong direction for US customers.
Due to concerns about the China-US trade war and ongoing difficulty of Kontakt scripting.
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

Michael L wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
Michael L wrote:
Due to concerns about the China-US trade war and ongoing difficulty of Kontakt scripting.
Yeah, I'm not expecting things to get better.

DrMEM wrote:
Dewdman42 wrote:Though I agree with you that many of the kontakt based offerings have more features then the EWQL Play engine provides.
I'm curious here - other than keyswitches, what kinds of features?
Depends on the library. because of kontakt scripting they are able to provide quite a lot of different enhancement. EWQL does so as well, but its just that they aren't actually doing that much and they don't really provide much in the way of letting the user control things.

Also some people are able to dig into kontakt setup and tweak a little bit, not the scripts usually, but some other aspects.

If you want to talk about sample players...

I have and use Kontakt. Its part of reality, it does a lot of other stuff that PLAY and VIPro do not do, and includes a factory library. But in terms of orch libraries, its only as good or bad as the developer of the library tweaked it using scripting and Kontakt features to base their product. Some are better then others.

PLAY is much more self contained and just kind of does what it does. There is not a lot of control available to you. But generally it just works and does what it does. Its not very tweak able. People people frustrated by PLAY are frustrated because of lack of keyswitching and I agree, let's less of an issue with articulation id/expression map handling in the DAW. But not always, sometimes the keyswitching mechanisms provided by some products exceeds what those articulation management systems can really handle, and provide a more enhanced experience for playing in parts, which can simply not be matched by PLAY. If your needs are pretty simple, then PLAY is great, exactly because it is simple.

VIPro maybe can't do all the things that Kontakt can do, but it does exactly all the right things in the right way, that an orchestrator would want to do when dealing with articulations and such. The Matrix concept and other things. Its just a really great interface for this task. Many times with the kontakt based solutions you can't tweak it that much because the work is buried in the script. But VSL have exposed tweak ability in the VIPro interface to a degree that you can easily do a lot of very custom tweaking and setup very diverse articulation mappings and combinations, with a lot of flexibility about how you want to work with key switches or CC's or whatever and easy ability to drive many aspects of the sound as well. Its the right set of stuff for this kind of work. Kontakt might be possible to do a lot of that, but if you're using a sample library, they probably locked the scripting and severely limited how much you can "tweak" that way.
MacPro 5,1 12core x 3.46ghz-96gb MacOS 12.2 (opencore), X32+AES16e-50

jancivil wrote:Timbre control in LASS; that's interesting. Is this filtering?
It's a convolution-based thing. Not entirely unsuccessful, but the giveaway is that it only really works in a subtractive way. In other words - good for different timbres that are all less bright than the default, not much good for the opposite. I tend to use it at about 50% of one of the profiles which smooths things out a bit, and I keep the staging / reverb bypassed as its more efficient to do that in the DAW.

On the general subject of complexity, you say that VI Pro is easy and then list what seems to me to be a large number of concepts to get your head around. With Kontakt you barely need to know anything about it as a player, it all just depends on the developer. I find the good developers pretty intuitive - a mapping tab, a mixer tab, just the controls that are needed. Because I tend to only set things up sporadically with VSL, I always forget how I did it the time before - I get there in the end somehow, but it always seems to be computer-engineering-focused more than musician-focused is perhaps the best way I can describe it.
jancivil wrote:Oh: background loading. VSL does it flawlessly. All the cells can be disabled (and instantly re-enabled), additionally. It can be set to where they're all disabled upon load.
If I understand correctly, this isn't the same as Kontakt. The beauty of Kontakt is that it loads what it needs on the fly. You never have to think about it - you can start purged and it just loads what it needs as you play. Magic. (Maybe there is a way of doing this now in VSL?)

One feature I wish VE Pro had is Wake On Midi. I'd love to keep instances disabled (not just channels), then when a midi note is received, it wakes that instance or channel. That would sort of emulate Kontakt's background loading - not instantaneously, but it would be a great way of keeping large templates down to size without a lot of back and forthing.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

Michael L wrote:Due to concerns about the China-US trade war and ongoing difficulty of Kontakt scripting.
:lol:
No auto tune...

Okay, looks like the Euro is starting to drop and I'm ready to pull the trigger on this purchase as soon as it starts ticking back up that first day.

Question for those who are running these huge libraries.

Currently my PC has a regular hard drive. No SSD. And my external drives that currently contain all my orchestral libraries are also non SSD drives.

I called my tech. He gave me prices on SSD drives.

Which is the better option as far as quickness in running these libraries?

Option 1 - Get a 4 TB SSD drive and throw everything on it.

Option 2 - Get a 1 TB SSD drive for my OS and programs and then get an external 2 TB SSD drive to put my libraries on?

The problem with option 2 is that I will have EWQL and VSL libraries and I don't know if everything will fit on a 2 TB drive. Of course I can always leave the EWQL stuff on the external drives that I have now.

Or is there a better option? I'm cloning my PC this month so I'm open to any suggestions just so long as I don't have to reinstall everything, which leads me to my next question.

If I want to move the VSL stuff I have now to the new internal drive, will I have to reinstall it? I'm referring to the SE Collection. I'm thinking yes because right now VI Pro 2 is looking for the data on the external drives. So how exactly does this work in the case of moving the samples?

^^^ Good idea!
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

The space requirements for the libraries are on vsl website. Generally VSL tends to be more space efficient then a lot of other stuff, FWIW.

Obviously bigger is better in terms of SSD but I believe the cost per gb is higher on the 4Tb drives. Your call.

I’m not sure what is involved in moving the libs later. I will have to do that also because for now I have them on a HDD, because I have EWQL on my 1Tb ssd. I will Probably get 2Tb ssd

Dewdman42 wrote:The space requirements for the libraries are on vsl website. Generally VSL tends to be more space efficient then a lot of other stuff, FWIW.

Obviously bigger is better in terms of SSD but I believe the cost per gb is higher on the 4Tb drives. Your call.

I’m not sure what is involved in moving the libs later. I will have to do that also because for now I have them on a HDD, because I have EWQL on my 1Tb ssd. I will Probably get 2Tb ssd
But what do you think will be faster? Running it right off the boot drive (so no internal to external USB connection) or putting on an external SSD drive?

Ssd will be faster no matter what.

Dewdman42 wrote:Ssd will be faster no matter what.
Understood. But will it make a significant difference if it's being accessed directly off the C drive or if it has to go through the USB port to an external SSD drive?

Dewdman42 wrote:Is the c drive Ssd?

https://www.quora.com/Does-an-external- ... ternal-SSD
It will be when I put it in.

wagtunes wrote:
Dewdman42 wrote:Ssd will be faster no matter what.
Understood. But will it make a significant difference if it's being accessed directly off the C drive or if it has to go through the USB port to an external SSD drive?
Your PC can't hold two or three SSD hard drives, really?

https://www.quora.com/Does-an-external- ... ternal-SSD

Return to “Instruments”