Best complete bundle for orchestral composing

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ghettosynth wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
Dewdman42 wrote:Ssd will be faster no matter what.
Understood. But will it make a significant difference if it's being accessed directly off the C drive or if it has to go through the USB port to an external SSD drive?
Your PC can't hold two or three SSD hard drives, really?

https://www.quora.com/Does-an-external- ... ternal-SSD
I have no idea how many hard drives my PC can handle. The point is, if I go completely internal, what would be the point of having more than one? Will it save me money if I get two 2TB drives instead of 1 4 TB drive?

wagtunes wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
Understood. But will it make a significant difference if it's being accessed directly off the C drive or if it has to go through the USB port to an external SSD drive?

I have no idea how many hard drives my PC can handle. The point is, if I go completely internal, what would be the point of having more than one? Will it save me money if I get two 2TB drives instead of 1 4 TB drive?
Well, someone suggested that it might, but I don't know. I'm not in the market for 4TB SSDs.

ghettosynth wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:
wagtunes wrote:

Well, someone suggested that it might, but I don't know. I'm not in the market for 4TB SSDs.
Normally I wouldn't be either but these libraries suck the life out of my CPU. Streaming them from an external leads to some frustrating lag time in real playing. Rendering is no problem but getting the initial track down is sometimes annoying to say the least.

wagtunes wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
There isn't a lot of point to having more than one. If it saves you money it isn't going to hurt you performance-wise that much either, I don't think.

I think the internal connection is faster than anything you have available in the older machine to connect to externally.

The thing I just bought, and am now using under spec, Synchron FX Strings I, is said by VSL not to even work, don't bother trying, it's just a disaster on a spinning drive. It works great on the SSD even as I don't have the RAM the minimum spec indicates.
However I chose a 7200RPM for external as I need backup, an SSD can just die, afaict there is no warning it's failing (eg., as because of the moving parts of the mechanical drive)... my internal SSD is 500GB and that was kind of a mistake, however I can only spend so much at a time. It does make me look at 'am I even using this?'.

jancivil wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
There isn't a lot of point to having more than one. If it saves you money it isn't going to hurt you performance-wise that much either, I don't think.

I think the internal connection is faster than anything you have available in the older machine to connect to externally.

The thing I just bought, and am now using under spec, Synchron FX Strings I, is said by VSL not to even work, don't bother trying, it's just a disaster on a spinning drive. It works great on the SSD even as I don't have the RAM the minimum spec indicates.
However I chose a 7200RPM for external as I need backup, an SSD can just die, afaict there is no warning it's failing (eg., as because of the moving parts of the mechanical drive)... my internal SSD is 500GB and that was kind of a mistake, however I can only spend so much at a time. It does make me look at 'am I even using this?'.
The SSD I'm getting is guaranteed for 5 years. I know that doesn't mean anything but still.

Oh well, Euro is falling. See what it did yesterday.

Okay, I just heard back from Stefan. He recommended getting two 2 TB SSD drives and definitely do NOT put the samples on the same drive as the OS.

Now it's just a question of whether I get 2 internal SSD drives or one internal and one external.

For that I'll talk to my tech.

We're almost there.

Euro still falling.

wagtunes wrote:Stefan recommended getting two 2 TB SSD drives and definitely do NOT put the samples on the same drive as the OS.

Now it's just a question of whether I get 2 internal SSD drives or one internal and one external.

For that I'll talk to my tech.
I've said that many, many times. Ideally, particularly with other considerations as to your use of the drive (and ideally you want a dedicated machine here) definitely. As to performance it isn't meaningful in the way that a spinning drive was, which was absolutely don't even think about samples from system drive, because of the way data is accessed, period. But my experience is, there is no difference in performance per se. Which is something I would never have believed before I had to do it. That said, Windows, donno... so that advice keeps one on the safe side.
Also if it's not a dedicated machine it has to do with the life of the drive. So I partially repudiate my 'not much point'.

One note, with ssd it’s no difference if you put samples on the system drive if that is an ssd. That old rule applies to hdd because you didn’t want the read head trying to read two places from the drive at the same time. With ssd there is no read head or platter or position. It will work absolutely fine to have samples on an ssd boot drive
MacPro 5,1 12core x 3.46ghz-96gb MacOS 12.2 (opencore), X32+AES16e-50

That's exactly it.

I've been doing it for a year now, there is no discernible difference between having them on same drive as systems or another drive; and my use of samples is intensive. I had to offload some things and I expect using them from a USB 7200 RPM is going to hurt. For me it would be about cost.

USB 7200 rpm is going to hurt. But you gotta do what you gotta do

Dewdman42 wrote:USB 7200 rpm is going to hurt. But you gotta do what you gotta do
So IOW, if I get an external to go along with the internal and load from the external, it's going to slow things down? Enough to defeat the purpose of getting an SSD in the first place?

No

Dewdman42 wrote:No

Depends on the ssd and depends on the port :shrug: Not sure why anyone would consider an external if they had space for internal.

I'm still confused on the OS, non OS issue.

Is it or isn't it okay to have the samples on the same drive as the OS when using an SSD drive? Stefan says it's not okay and somebody here (forget who) said it is okay.

I don't want to get a 4 TB drive and end up screwing up my load time because I got one SSD drive loading samples with an OS on the same drive. That's throwing $1,200 down the drain.

At some point even an ssd drive has a max thruput, which May or may not exceed the max thruput of the buss its connected to and the motherboard, memory, controllers and cpu also have a max speed they can do, so if you’re already running into that bottleneck then it won’t matter if you have multiple ssd.

Spreading things around to different ssd drives could theoretically provide more max thruput but you’re probably splitting hairs at that point because ssd is very fast to begin with and ssd does not have the same problem as hdd for having to seek the head to a place on the platter. You will gain a lot of system performance by having the os on ssd. If you put samples on that same ssd drive it will be way way way faster then putting them on a separate hdd drive and even faster then an external hdd.

Will it be marginally faster to have two separate ssd drives? I personally don’t think you will notice any difference whatsoever compared to all in one ssd, but it’s possible you could get some slightly better benchmarks by having the load split to two ssd. Two ssd are going to be cheaper then one 4T ssd also, fwiw.

Anything you put external will probably be slower then internal unless you’re using esata or Thunderbolt.

Return to “Instruments”