Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
User avatar
donkey tugger
Boss Lovin' DR
 
4408 posts since 14 Mar, 2002, from the grimness of yorkshire

Postby donkey tugger; Sun May 27, 2018 9:03 am donkeyt- spanner of the dogs -rokk.

I'm always bemoaning that when you see/hear demos for guitar related gear, the person is always playing some cheesy blues-based hard rock/metal, so you can't actually tell if the guitar/amp etc is any good for droning chords chords/jangly stuff (proper music...... :hihi: )

Anyway, here's some cheesy blues-based hard rock...

http://www.bennyleeds7.myfreeola.uk/don ... e-dogs.mp3

Thanks to those who pointed out on the FL forum that the main guitars were way too spiky in the mid range - sorted now methinks - and the vocals weren't quite sitting right.

Hopefully that nutter has now gone and won't try and nick this one for another of his marvellous youtube videos. :scared:
User avatar
wagtunes
KVRAF
 
11735 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Postby wagtunes; Sun May 27, 2018 9:32 am Re: donkeyt- spanner of the dogs -rokk.

Kind of a cross between The Chambers Brothers and MC 5.

You know, whenever a friend would put something like this on the turntable, I'd be like "Oh cool, some more druggie music." And I'd do the air guitar and/or drums thing. Just good, fun stuff to listen to and escape. Nothing profound. Just rock me a bit and make me forget all my problems. That's what this reminded me of.

All in all, sounded fine to me. But what do I know as I still can't mix for shit. But I liked it.

Kick out the jams MF.
experimental.crow
KVRAF
 
5300 posts since 9 Mar, 2003, from The Druid Hills

Postby experimental.crow; Sun May 27, 2018 10:00 am Re: donkeyt- spanner of the dogs -rokk.

donkey tugger wrote:I'm always bemoaning that when you see/hear demos for guitar related gear, the person is always playing some cheesy blues-based hard rock/metal, so you can't actually tell if the guitar/amp etc is any good for droning chords chords/jangly stuff (proper music...... :hihi: )

Anyway, here's some cheesy blues-based hard rock...

http://www.bennyleeds7.myfreeola.uk/don ... e-dogs.mp3

Thanks to those who pointed out on the FL forum that the main guitars were way too spiky in the mid range - sorted now methinks - and the vocals weren't quite sitting right.

Hopefully that nutter has now gone and won't try and nick this one for another of his marvellous youtube videos. :scared:


hell to the yes ...
i think you got a little robin trower on me !..
Image
User avatar
Aloysius
KVRAF
 
21666 posts since 11 Aug, 2008, from a computer

Postby Aloysius; Mon May 28, 2018 1:11 am Re: donkeyt- spanner of the dogs -rokk.

Oh yeah!!!! It's got attitude. Great title too.
Impeach 64. Keep 32-bit Plug-ins alive.
User avatar
Frantz
KVRAF
 
4703 posts since 18 Jul, 2008, from New York

Postby Frantz; Mon May 28, 2018 7:12 am Re: donkeyt- spanner of the dogs -rokk.

This is excellent! Fantastic guitar work throughout. Killer bass. One of your best mixes -- nice and clear. Vox sound good too. On my third listen now. :tu:
User avatar
seismic1
KVRAF
 
8867 posts since 13 Mar, 2009, from UK

Postby seismic1; Mon May 28, 2018 3:46 pm Re: donkeyt- spanner of the dogs -rokk.

The first 2 seconds of guitar fade-in had me thinking "Foxy Lady".

Great mix. The vocals have a lot of presence and clarity, which isn't always the case with hard-rock music on this forum. The guitars were very tasty throughout, and I loved the psychedelic, wah-wah guitar solo.

And it's got cowbell.

Good work :)
User avatar
donkey tugger
Boss Lovin' DR
 
4408 posts since 14 Mar, 2002, from the grimness of yorkshire

Postby donkey tugger; Mon May 28, 2018 11:03 pm Re: donkeyt- spanner of the dogs -rokk.

wagtunes wrote:Kind of a cross between The Chambers Brothers and MC 5.

You know, whenever a friend would put something like this on the turntable, I'd be like "Oh cool, some more druggie music." And I'd do the air guitar and/or drums thing. Just good, fun stuff to listen to and escape. Nothing profound. Just rock me a bit and make me forget all my problems. That's what this reminded me of.

All in all, sounded fine to me. But what do I know as I still can't mix for shit. But I liked it.

Kick out the jams MF.


Cheers, you've got to love a bit of the MC5!
User avatar
donkey tugger
Boss Lovin' DR
 
4408 posts since 14 Mar, 2002, from the grimness of yorkshire

Postby donkey tugger; Mon May 28, 2018 11:05 pm Re: donkeyt- spanner of the dogs -rokk.

experimental.crow wrote:i think you got a little robin trower on me !..


I of course knew the name, but wasn't really aware of his work. Had a bit of listen on youtube and I can see where you're coming from - likes the phaser and chorus on his solos does the lad!
User avatar
donkey tugger
Boss Lovin' DR
 
4408 posts since 14 Mar, 2002, from the grimness of yorkshire

Postby donkey tugger; Mon May 28, 2018 11:06 pm Re: donkeyt- spanner of the dogs -rokk.

Aloysius wrote:Great title too.


Hehe, I was wondering if anyone would get my rubbish attempt at a joke.. :hihi:
User avatar
donkey tugger
Boss Lovin' DR
 
4408 posts since 14 Mar, 2002, from the grimness of yorkshire

Postby donkey tugger; Mon May 28, 2018 11:07 pm Re: donkeyt- spanner of the dogs -rokk.

Frantz wrote:This is excellent! Fantastic guitar work throughout. Killer bass. One of your best mixes -- nice and clear. Vox sound good too. On my third listen now. :tu:


Cheers, the bass is Mr S Carbee and his Kontakt Rickenbacker - I just told him what to play.
User avatar
donkey tugger
Boss Lovin' DR
 
4408 posts since 14 Mar, 2002, from the grimness of yorkshire

Postby donkey tugger; Mon May 28, 2018 11:12 pm Re: donkeyt- spanner of the dogs -rokk.

seismic1 wrote:The first 2 seconds of guitar fade-in had me thinking "Foxy Lady".

Great mix. The vocals have a lot of presence and clarity, which isn't always the case with hard-rock music on this forum. The guitars were very tasty throughout, and I loved the psychedelic, wah-wah guitar solo.

And it's got cowbell.

Good work :)


Ah,, that's the bugger. I deliberately did that first bit as a Hendrix ripoff, but couldn't for the life of me remember which song that intro was from!

The drums are Steven Slate, but strangely there's no cowbell included anywhere in them (massive oversight that....) so I had to use one from Addictive Drums. Poor show Mr Slate - not rock - needs more cowbell.
User avatar
el-bo (formerly ebow)
KVRAF
 
9993 posts since 24 May, 2009, from A galaxy, far far away

Postby el-bo (formerly ebow); Thu May 31, 2018 2:58 am Re: donkeyt- spanner of the dogs -rokk.

Fuckin' Rocks! Bass is wicked hot! Great arrangement! :tu:

And, to think, I only came here to congratulate you on your beautiful entry ( :hihi: ) into the Music Cafe competition, this month. Can't stop listening to it :love:
User avatar
donkey tugger
Boss Lovin' DR
 
4408 posts since 14 Mar, 2002, from the grimness of yorkshire

Postby donkey tugger; Thu May 31, 2018 10:26 pm Re: donkeyt- spanner of the dogs -rokk.

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:Fuckin' Rocks! Bass is wicked hot! Great arrangement! :tu:

And, to think, I only came here to congratulate you on your beautiful entry ( :hihi: ) into the Music Cafe competition, this month. Can't stop listening to it :love:


Cheers!
User avatar
nineofkings
KVRAF
 
1741 posts since 9 Apr, 2011

Postby nineofkings; Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:00 am Re: donkeyt- spanner of the dogs -rokk.

Beefy. Love it when the bass and the guitars lock in as a single sonic weapon. Great job.
User avatar
donkey tugger
Boss Lovin' DR
 
4408 posts since 14 Mar, 2002, from the grimness of yorkshire

Postby donkey tugger; Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:08 pm Re: donkeyt- spanner of the dogs -rokk.

nineofkings wrote:Beefy. Love it when the bass and the guitars lock in as a single sonic weapon. Great job.


Cheers. With, 'beefy', and, 'sonic weapon', you've got the beginnings of a career in metel journalism there. If you can add the likes of, 'behemoth', and, 'tighter than a Yorkshireman's wallet', to your repertoire then you'll be well on your way. :hihi:
Next

Moderators: DrApostropheX, Scoops, Moderators (Main)

Return to Music Cafe

FEATURED
48% Off
SpeakerSpeaker Modelling
by AudioThing
  $19.00
Add A Review My KVR
Was $19.00; Save $9.25 until 30 Jun 2018!
Philosophy of design: An interview with Roland Lamb from ROLI
Advertisements