Audio DSP companies online presence rating 2018-06-11

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Zaphod (giancarlo) wrote:I think it is not related to sales at all
Not even a bit.
A year ago we were higher on this list - Alexa rating did not change - our sales are twice this year.
Btw several companies are very strong on Instagram, ie slate. I think social networks are way more important than websites today, and several ones have a really big conversion ratio
Thanks. Great to hear that you doubled your conversion rate. What would be that high conversion rate in percentage?

marzelli wrote:+1 this list doesn't mean jack. Websites become more irrelevant but they're weighted 70% in this rating. Also there are devs missing because they don't rank in AlexaGB or don't have twitter? And why twitter & facebook, not instagram or youtube followers?
I am not sure how websites are becoming irrelevant? You need a website to sell the plugin after all. Do you have any company?

quikquak wrote:This is where you employ an expensive SEO, who job is to give a shit about this kind of thing.. apparently... I can hear them now, “well actually my job is very important to the company!! Actually!”
I didn't understand that. You need great SEO to sell plugins? I guess yes, it will help if you are first on Google... :)

It was silly joke, sorry. I forget you can't make jokes on KVR Dev forum, as everything gets analysed too much. :)

Youlean wrote:
Not even a bit.
A year ago we were higher on this list - Alexa rating did not change - our sales are twice this year.
Btw several companies are very strong on Instagram, ie slate. I think social networks are way more important than websites today, and several ones have a really big conversion ratio
Thanks. Great to hear that you doubled your conversion rate. What would be that high conversion rate in percentage?
To be honest we are not analyzing the conversion rate at all any more, but few years ago we were doing it (and we were using Alexa data quite a lot), then we stopped because imho it is a nonsense. We had in Italy a rating greater than our biggest bank! And the bank is hiring 180000 guys.
I think alexa is a pure waste of time, the index was greater of we were analyzing data or not, or paying.
I'm more interested in what the customer is doing (what he bought, what he is going to buy, satisfaction metrics, day by day actions on the download manager platform, which means of the product is installed and used, updated and so on; these new metrics are anticipating the number of sales of a product quite accurately; we have a small dwh for that)
Btw just checking these data you would never guess ik multimedia is between 20 and 40 times greater than my company size but other companies with an higher rank are way smaller.
Last edited by Zaphod (giancarlo) on Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Not even a bit.
Of course, it's not about sales at all, it's about online reach of companies. If you can sell more to the same auditory, it's great, but it does not mean your auditory became bigger.

Aleksey Vaneev wrote:
Not even a bit.
Of course, it's not about sales at all, it's about online reach of companies. If you can sell more to the same auditory, it's great, but it does not mean your auditory became bigger.
Imho I think online presence is a good indicator. But not alexa. I would say that the sum of social media, web, FORUMS is relevant for several companies. Other ones are more linked with distribution.

Yes I said exactly that, this sheet is not linked with sales, at all. And the point is exactly that, we have way more "new customers" today, but the rank is almost the same and it didn't change during 4 years. But the company was almost one-man-band 4 years ago. Just saying...

Zaphod (giancarlo) wrote:Yes I said exactly that, this sheet is not linked with sales, at all. And the point is exactly that, we have way more "new customers" today, but the rank is almost the same and it didn't change during 4 years. But the company was almost one-man-band 4 years ago. Just saying...
But can you say the same for the number of daily visitors? From my practice, daily visitors statistics correlates to Alexa rating, of course not linearly - e.g. if daily visitors increased by 10%, the Alexa rating can jump a lot more, because it is a comparative estimate. Or if you are near the top of the rating, 10% more daily visitors won't increase rating much.

Youlean wrote:Thanks. I think that I read somewhere that u-he have 2% conversion rate and that this is really consistent. It is nice to know how others do so you can know if you are doing well... :)
It depends on what factor you use for conversion rate estimation. Daily visitors, new visitors, downloads, etc.

Aleksey Vaneev wrote:
Zaphod (giancarlo) wrote:Yes I said exactly that, this sheet is not linked with sales, at all. And the point is exactly that, we have way more "new customers" today, but the rank is almost the same and it didn't change during 4 years. But the company was almost one-man-band 4 years ago. Just saying...
But can you say the same for the number of daily visitors? From my practice, daily visitors statistics correlates to Alexa rating, of course not linearly - e.g. if daily visitors increased by 10%, the Alexa rating can jump a lot more, because it is a comparative estimate. Or if you are near the top of the rating, 10% more daily visitors won't increase rating much.
No.
Not in my experience. For example in the past we had a lot of visitors cause our forum, while today we migrated partially our forum contents to closed (= not public) Facebook groups. Also people were visiting the website for checking the presence of updates, but we have a sort of download manager now.
So basically people are way more informed but they need the website way way less, but still going there for buying. I guess it will decrease further as soon as we implement a buy function directly in our manager. Other companies are already doing it (custom shops) so I guess their metrics are completely wrong. The same happens for companies using dealers, coupon platforms and so on. Nowadays I'm buying an awful lot of things without even visiting the company website (just think to Amazon)

About alexa: for a niche company it is useless, this is my personal opinion. Our metrics were a lot better after we installed the toolbars. Now they are a lot worse. But the awareness of my company increased dramatically in the past 4 years, especially in USA. And several years ago social networks were not so relevant. There are a lot of closed Facebook groups and they drive a lot of sales, and you can't analyze them at all unless you are the administrator
Last edited by Zaphod (giancarlo) on Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

Should Roland, Korg, Yamaha, Kemper and Waldorf be on this list?
edit-+Novation

nix808 wrote:Should Roland, Korg, Yamaha, Kemper and Waldorf be on this list?
edit-+Novation
No, they have instrument plugins, no (or almost no) dedicated audio DSP plugins.

Zaphod (giancarlo) wrote:
Aleksey Vaneev wrote: But can you say the same for the number of daily visitors? From my practice, daily visitors statistics correlates to Alexa rating, of course not linearly - e.g. if daily visitors increased by 10%, the Alexa rating can jump a lot more, because it is a comparative estimate. Or if you are near the top of the rating, 10% more daily visitors won't increase rating much.
No.
Not in my experience. ... So basically people are way more informed but they need the website way way less, but still going there for buying.
OK, so there's correlation with Alexa rank. This rating should be probably called "direct online presence". Of course, a lot of businesses have sales through various channels, but this isn't really an "online presence", such companies may not even have a website and care for SEO. But in my opinion, it's a risky thing. Loyal returning customers are important and they spend more, but do not spend money indefinitely, their spending vanishes overtime (fatigue effect I would say), a flow of new customers is needed.

Technically, a closed Facebook group and instagram/telegram, or online distributors are "online presence".

no worries- I see what you meant now,
perhaps dsp utilities(could have read more closely)

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”