Will VST3 plugins stop working with the next macOS udates?

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

keithwood wrote:
mystran wrote:No, I'm saying that assuming sufficient number of CPU cores to parallel process everything that can be parallel processed without additional latency, the longest (in sense of processing time) serial path that exists in the audio processing graph is still limited by single-threaded performance.
How many cores is sufficient? :-) Let's say I'm doing MIDI mock ups of orchestral or film scores.
That's a question that's impossible to answer, because it depends a lot on exactly what your load distribution looks like. If you have a single expensive serial dependency chain and a bunch of cheap parallel tracks to go at the same time, you might even be fine with two and you're performance is almost completely limited by the single-threaded performance. If you have a lot of equally expensive tracks in parallel, then you might need up to one core per track to run it fully parallel and you can probably approach the total through-put limit of the system quite well whatever the number of cores.

In practice, most real-world audio work loads are somewhere between these extremes. In practice, your parallel opportunities are usually decent on track level, worse when you start working on the sends and basically none if you have to do master processing.

Markus Krause wrote:The VST3 format has been released a long time ago, but it still has not properly established on the market. There are still many host which do not support it.

Are there many hosts that dont support VST3? I onluy know of Live from the major DAWS.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Digital Performer, Logic from major ones (VST3 is multi-platform, so there's no reason why it couldn't be on macOS or even Linux). Then there's MuLAB, Maschine (if you wanna consider it a DAW, but that's a stretch, admittedly), Reason (sic), Renoise.

EvilDragon wrote:No that means regular tedious modifications for the developers that were in a lot of cases absolutely uncalled for (latest example: file sorting issue with APFS on High Sierra they forced onto developers to "fix" instead of not messing it up in the first place. Dumbasses.). OpenGL works, it has worked for years and it will continue to work for years. Just not on Apple. Dumbasses.
It was indeed very annoying. I had to add a whole line of code to sort my result array. :hihi:

IIRC, if you take a file listing, there's never been a guarantee that the results will come back in any sort order. It was just a nicety provided by the macOS programmers. With the new file system, you now get true behavior that everyone else has come to know and... love. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

(And no, I am not being snarky about the sort thing... Coming from Java, it was just business as usual.)
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”