Dexed Librarian [TEASER]

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
neutrino.sky
KVRer
29 posts since 7 Nov, 2017

Post Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:49 pm

So I've been experimenting with creating a Dexed Librarian (yay!).
Milestone 1 achieved: I've managed to import Dexed SYX files and create a library (thanks to the awesome curation work by @BlackWinny!) I can select patches and audition them in Dexed.
Dexed.Librarian prototype.PNG
Things that I've learned:
  • * Dexed has a ludicrous number of patches. 100K+. Seriously??!! This is a crazy amount.
    * I've had to merge multiple SYX banks to create a 'library bank', otherwise the UI crashes
    * Importing takes a looong time (30mins on my Intel Q6700 16Gb)
    * Because there are so many patches, I'm going to need to add an embedded database engine. The memory footprint is too big, and the initial load takes too long.
This is still a prototype at this stage. Categories and Heuristic matching are still missing.

In terms of Categories, I was going to re-use the same set from Synth1 Librarian. Anyone want to suggest what categories they'd like to see?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Author of "Synth1 Librarian", music meddler, software maker
https://neutrinosky.com | https://twitter.com/neutrino_sky

carrieres
KVRAF
1654 posts since 10 Apr, 2002 from Poissy, France

Re: Dexed Librarian [TEASER]

Post Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:44 pm

nice !

future-bit
KVRist
322 posts since 23 Jan, 2008

Post Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:28 am

Cool!

resistent
KVRist
425 posts since 14 Apr, 2008 from Beneath the surface

Post Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:56 am

Nice. I appreciated your work but wonder what would be the difference to the managment within Dexed?

Regards
LOVE*FIGHT*CREATE

zzz00m
KVRAF
1960 posts since 17 Sep, 2016

Post Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:14 am

neutrino.sky wrote: * Dexed has a ludicrous number of patches. 100K+. Seriously??!! This is a crazy amount.
This made me laugh! :lol:

Keep it up, just think what a time saving difference this tool will make to Dexed fans! :tu:

Getting excited! :hyper:

Yay!
Last edited by zzz00m on Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Windows 10; with instruments from AAS, Ableton, AIR, Ample Sound, Cakewalk, IK Multimedia, iZotope, KV331, NI, PreSonus, Seaweed Audio, SONiVOX, TAL, Tracktion, u-he, UVI, Vember Audio, Waves, Way Out Ware, XLN, others...

zzz00m
KVRAF

Post Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:30 am

resistent wrote:Nice. I appreciated your work but wonder what would be the difference to the managment within Dexed?

Regards
Have you checked out the Synth1 Librarian from Neutrino Sky yet? He will probably use a similar design approach.

The Synth1 librarian doesn't change the synth management itself, you select and play the sounds from the librarian UI, and it loads the sound into the synth. You don't even need to open the synth UI unless you want to.

There is a button in the librarian you can push to display the synth UI if you want to tweak the actual sound itself.
Windows 10; with instruments from AAS, Ableton, AIR, Ample Sound, Cakewalk, IK Multimedia, iZotope, KV331, NI, PreSonus, Seaweed Audio, SONiVOX, TAL, Tracktion, u-he, UVI, Vember Audio, Waves, Way Out Ware, XLN, others...

Megawattt
KVRist
125 posts since 31 Dec, 2005

Post Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:32 am

Hi there Neutrino Sky.

You are a Hero! i have just discovered your Synth 1 Librarian and i am blown away! the problem is that only version Synth1LibrarianSetup_2018.126_64bit.exe would open up and work in my DAW which is Synapse Audio Orion 8.6 running in Windows 7 64 bit, none of the newer versions would load, please is it possible while you are developing to tweak your Dexed Librarian to work in my DAW? :)
Strictly drum and bass

neutrino.sky
KVRer

Post Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:01 am

Hey Megawatt, sorry to hear about the problems with Synth1 Librarian.

If you leave a post on the Synth1 Librarian thread (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=496615) with details of the problems you're having, I'll look into it further. There have been lots of fixes and improvements since v2018.126, and I don't want you to miss out! :)

BlackWinny
KVRAF
3895 posts since 17 Jun, 2013 from very close to Paris, France

Post Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:25 am

That's absolutely GREAT !

And yes, the amount of presets which have been made for the Yamaha DX7 is so high that it needs a brand new type of memory management in the style of an internal database (with at least an index and perhaps even several indices) to reduce the huge memory hog.

ImageImage

Even for me, when I made the compilation it has been a big problem, and being not a developer I had to use Excel as a kind of database.

Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

dune_rave
KVRian
1388 posts since 23 Jun, 2006 from Hungary

Post Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:44 am

Great news!!!!!!

neutrino.sky
KVRer

Post Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:51 am

@BlackWinny: You used EXCEL??!! I'm so sorry... ;)

BlackWinny
KVRAF
3895 posts since 17 Jun, 2013 from very close to Paris, France

Post Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:58 am

neutrino.sky wrote:@BlackWinny: You used EXCEL??!! I'm so sorry... ;)
Ha Ha ! Don't worry... It was better than nothing.
:D
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

Megawattt
KVRist

Post Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:51 pm

neutrino.sky wrote:Hey Megawatt, sorry to hear about the problems with Synth1 Librarian.

If you leave a post on the Synth1 Librarian thread (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=496615) with details of the problems you're having, I'll look into it further. There have been lots of fixes and improvements since v2018.126, and I don't want you to miss out! :)
Hi there Neutrino Sky.

I have sent you a PM :)
Strictly drum and bass

zzz00m
KVRAF

Post Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:14 pm

Megawattt wrote:
neutrino.sky wrote:Hey Megawatt, sorry to hear about the problems with Synth1 Librarian.

Hi there Neutrino Sky.

I would expect that he only answers PMs from paying customers. :lol:

But you could always try posting where he asked you to. :dog:

Megawattt
KVRist

Post Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:39 am

zzz00m wrote:
Megawattt wrote:

Hi there Neutrino Sky.

I would expect that he only answers PMs from paying customers. :lol:

But you could always try posting where he asked you to. :dog:
Luckily Neutrino Sky was kind enough to answer my PM :) Hi Neutrino, i have sent another PM :)
Strictly drum and bass

Return to “Instruments”