Is there still such a thing like instrumentalist snobbery around?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am still at college, not majoring in music tho, and I have a classmate (also non-music major) who despises anyone who cannot play a piano when it comes to music. For himself, he has been playing it for about ten years, tho with some gaps. As far as I can tell, he is a good piano player, for hobbyist. But I am afraid I cannot say that he is close to professional level, yet he always acts like one.

I was kind of annoyed when he dismissed the instruments I play (drums, harmonica and trumpet). He said only piano can be considered as a real instrument. (Seriously???) And when I told him that I am now more into electronic music and producing my own tracks, he said this was like a joke, anyone can easily do it. I was pissed off, really, this person doesn't even understand music theory beyond basic keys and simple triads. He plays piano just according to the music sheet he gets. I doubt that he can easily compose. And, eq, compressor, delay and reverb are like strange nonsense words to him. I mean, sure he can learn all these if he would like to, but I don't feel okay that he can despise something he barely knows anything about.

Later, I bought him a (cheap) harmonica to let him show me how EASY this "can-not-be-considered-as-an-instrument" instrument is. After a week, he gave up and said that this instrument is monophonic (which is not so true if one knows the techniques), so boring, so harsh sounding that he would rather not bother practicing it when he has piano. He can stick to his story, but I guess he gave up because he could not even manage to play the ABC Song. This guy has zero experience (and zero respect) with mouthpiece instrument, no wonder it sounded so boring and harsh to him.

I finally stopped him from dismissing my music stuff by sending him a short piano track I made on my laptop. After listening, he said,"is that all you got? pfft, I can do much better than that. Give me your music sheet." (Obviously, he did not even know what a midi clip is) Next time I visited him, I asked if he might want to show me how easily my track was made. He said he did not have time for this, he just got some new songs he wanted to practice on. Fine, he can stick to his stories but since then, whenever we talk about music again, he would not show too much disrespect towards my music stuff like before.
Last edited by hhuang9611 on Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trance, Trance Is Life

Why do you feel you have anything to prove to him? He is an insecure child.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

My guitar is a snob. It won't let anyone play it but me.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Aloysius wrote:My guitar is a snob. It won't let anyone play it but me.
It says that to everyone ... :hihi:

thecontrolcentre wrote:
:hihi:

vurt wrote:
thecontrolcentre wrote:
:hihi:

Are there any songs about a guitar who just won't be true? Or perhaps taking your guitar down to the river and killing it with a shotgun?

And if not, WHY not? Seems like a fruitful theme for a talented raconteur.

Or perhaps for a rousing effort from the kvr collective. :band2:

damn. i didn't shoot mine down by the river, i drowned her in the swamp :(
no one will write songs about me now :cry:

yes, all my guitars are female.
synths are male.

do not ask me why. it just is.

vurt wrote:yes, all my guitars are female.
synths are male.

do not ask me why. it just is.
No, it should be formatted:

all my guitars are female
female
female
female

synths are male.
synths are male.

don't ask me why
don't ask me why
don't ask me why

it just is

You just wrote the lyrics for a new Big Black song.

:band2:

vurt wrote: :band2:
Drums - 8.9
Guitare - 9.5
Vocal - 7
Bass - 9.2

nordickvr wrote:
vurt wrote: :band2:
Drums - 8.9
Guitare - 9.5
Vocal - 7
Bass - 9.2
:lol:

I can't believe the hypocrisy. :x :hihi:

:lol: oh my f**k that's funny!

None of that &^%$ runs on linux ..

Hey Americans
You live in a big country and I guess it is hard to get an overview but do you actually have universities in which modern and classical music is taught side by side and given so, would it include taking analytical approaches to such genres a Trance, Techno and EDM in varous forms? Could you make a thesis within such subjects?

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”