Free analog simulation equalizer for win/mac: "Enceladus EQ"

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Okay, so basically I've been a bit disappointed with how thin digital equalizers tend to sound compared to analog ones, especially when boosting. So came up with this "drive" level which works in combination with the usual "boost" amount. The result is that you can drive the boosted frequencies more or less to get various degrees of soft harmonic distortion affecting the frequency boosts themselves more than just saturating the entire signal as so often seen in many other plugins.

The algorithm is sort of unusual, and it doesn't make sense when cutting, so the four bands of this EQ only offers boosting.

Tip:"Transistor" and "Tubes I" usually work better in the treble, whereas "Tubes I" and "Tubes II" tend to be more interesting on lower frequencies (but this isn't always the case).
  • It's free
  • Both Windows and Mac vesions available
  • It's still beta, so the UI is not very pretty.
http://www.robotplanet.dk/audio/vst_enceladus_eq/
Last edited by JoaCHIP on Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

Thanks. Will try it out.

Just testing this, I like the concept and it seems to work as it should.
With the drive, bandwidth and mode parameters it has some nice options for soundshaping and it can sound surprisingly smooth and nice with strong setting as compared to some other character EQs imho. I think I'm gonna keep it on the two channels I tested it on right now...
Thanks for this!

(Edit: tested in 64bit in Live 10 on Win 10)
Some music with visuals and mixed tutorials related to game dev and sound design: https://www.youtube.com/@MetasideOfficial

Thanks. Will test it later today. At my moms place atm. Btw, are you the one who made Digidrum drum synthesizer?
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Thanks for testing!

PS: No I didn't make the Digidrum thingie. I made a lot of effects plugins for Jeskola Buzz though (a tracker).

Ah ok thanks. I have Jeskola Buzz myself. :)
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Thanks for this.

Would it be possible to have the frequency control adjustable in smaller increments?

Yes, that might be a good idea actually.

Tried on Mastering... Amazing.and very flexible!

Hope you'll release a final version

Great EQ! Many thanks. I'll use it as a substitute for bx_subfilter which couses clicks on lower latency settings. I like COMP algorithm very much.
Please consider adding negative values. Those are usefull sometimes.

JoaCHIP wrote:Yes, that might be a good idea actually.
Thanks. In fact, I guess it may as well apply to all controls? In one test I was noticing a big difference between boosting by 1.3dB and 1.5dB.

Another thought: Input/output gain?

Input/output gain is also a good idea becasue the plugin is so dependant on the signal level.

Negative boost (attenuation) is not possible, sadly. The sound that comes out of that does not make sense at all. You'll have to use a normal EQ for that. Either that, or I could make it so that both "Drive", "Mode" and "Dark" would simply become inactive when attenuating instead of boosting, because those are the parts that do no support boosting negatively.

enabling dark mode on drive 3 results in sound being muted in right channel.
after enabling 3 or 4 times, sound cuts out completely.
i think 3 and 4 both suffer from this.

win7 32bit
fl studio

also, single click for text entry is pretty annoying. can we not have double click?

The single click text editing thing was a mistake, and the "Drive" parameter didn't kick in unless the input was really loud. This has been fixed in v52:

http://www.robotplanet.dk/audio/vst_enceladus_eq/

I've been using this eq lately and it sounds really good. Care to share how it works? How is it technologically different from other eq's?
Dub it up blacker than dread

Return to “Effects”