Modal Skulpt

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

BONES wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:51 am How rude of me, I didn't answer your question. No, I don't have my eye on anything in particular at the moment, although I am keen to see how Modal's new Argon8 turns out. I do agree that softsynths sound better than hardware these days. I think my need for hardware is purely the habit of 35 years. I don't need it, I just like having it.

It's kind of criminal that this synth has only had 6 pages of discussion. It's worth way more than that.
However Skulpt its a bit niche synth its agressive sound dont fit most prog tracks I think.I should get the mininova as it has more deeper modulation engine.and 3 oscs 2 oscs in poly somehow feels a bit limiting.Also the Mininova has 3 lfos and way more slots the skulpt feels.very expensive compared to the mininova.The Argon is super boring synth it cant fire a candle.to.the new wavetable beasts itb.Why hw vendors dont add any granullar or additive engines are they stupid to make same synths all the time.The Quantum only offers different sounds but its too huge.
I.am happy with my itb synths to be fair but first some of the new ones eat too much cpus secondly the h9 really makes any synth sing.which I find a bit better for my taste then the sw I have.
Have u tried Monologue seems damn good for what it is very ballsy agressive synth this go.for 140 bucks nowadays

lacandon wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:19 am ...The Argon is super boring synth it cant fire a candle.to.the new wavetable beasts itb...
Have you tried it, or just going by architecture / videos, etc.? (legit question, not a snarky challenge)

JoeCat wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:24 am
lacandon wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:19 am ...The Argon is super boring synth it cant fire a candle.to.the new wavetable beasts itb...
Have you tried it, or just going by architecture / videos, etc.? (legit question, not a snarky challenge)
Listened demos and the architecture its too basic for the price.I use at the moment massively Sugar Bytes Factory and this is how u make a unique synth.Argon its nothing new same as any other but.more.limited then blofeld/ultranova sound wise maybe a bit better but its boring very boring.Their modulation.matrix also is shite

You can't expect software features in a hardware synth, that's just stupid. Hardware is for a different purpose. Just having a mod matrix in a hardware synth at all is a bonus, especially one without a display (Skulpt). Ultranova is out of production, so there is no point comparing anything to it, and Blofeld is an entirely different kind of synth so, again, it makes no sense to compare them. I'd also point out that all the Argon8 demos around at the moment are from prototypes with a limited set of wavetables. I wouldn't be judging the versatility until retail unit reviews become available.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

I hear there is a basically new Skulpt for sale from a trusted seller in the sell/buy forum.
/end of shameless one-time self-promotion

Is there anybody with two Skulpts who are able to use the vst plugin when polychained?

I'm looking at the Skulpt and I also use a WX5 wind controller. The manual had a mistake and said it took Breath controller CC, but in the MIdi chart CC2 wasn't listed. I hoped they would add it as it's functionally the same as CC11. But instead they are removing from the manual. Luckily the WX5 can be dip switched to send CC11 although those switches aren't so robust. It's also a shame as it means I can't use a footcotroller ending CC11 at the same time as plying CC2, which could get really expressive.

I have fabfilters twin, this is great with WX5 for CC2 routing, and I have the AAS Virtual analogue which is no fun trying to set up with the WX5 (or any of the the AAS gear, although it's great with a keyboard and rotaries), because you can't be blowing as you try to set up, and ranges always start at zero (no breath pressure)

The mod matrix makes Skulpt (and maybe Craft) possibly very good for the WX5, but I'm wary of sometimes these things are misleading. I may pick up both the Skulpt and Craft at the same time, to save on shipping to Vietnam twice.

So I'm after infor on this:

I understand I can use 8 CCs, and I can use the same one 8 times, as long as they have different destination.

1. Can I set the range from the software? Have CC11 0-127 just modulate a function through a small range that I set?
2 .Can this range be negative?
3. With bipolar options such as Filter Envelope Depth, If I have it set to 15, can I use CC11 0-127, to move it 15-45, or will the zero start make it start at zero?
4. If I can't set the range to be negative (Question 2) on a bi-polor such as Filter Envelope Depth, will 0-127 move it in a negative directive if it the function is set to minus number initially?.

I think I have a better idea of things, after finding some more videos. But i'm still a bit cautious it's not going to respond as I hope.

If I set a modulater range 0-43, set to expression. will 0 start at 0, and 127 finish at 43?

If the sustain goes to 127, and Expression goes 0-127, but the bipolar modulation only allows 0 to 64 (and 0 to -63) than will CC11 0-127 be only able to add a max 64 to sustain?

Hello
I'm interested in Skulpt. I'd like to hook up on my CP4 Yamaha in order to have some nice pads and leads. What do you think. The main use would be for live playing rather than using with DAW. I was considering also the Rocket for a synth but it has no presets and is monopohonic. Thank you.

Rocket is paraphonic and can have up to 8 voices. It's an amazing synth and the lack of presets is less of an obstacle than you might think, because the synth is so simple. I used it as pretty much my only live synth last time we played in Germany and it worked a treat. I'd definitely choose Rocket over Skulpt (I own both).
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”